Minnow collecting

13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_beanosvaughn_*

Guest_beanosvaughn_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:36 PM

I have been attempting to trap minnows with zero luck so far. All I have tried is the soda bottle minnow trap.I just wanted to see if anybody has any suggestions. Any ideas on traps,nets etc. Would be appreciated. Thanks

#2 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:43 PM

What have you been using for bait? And what are the schematics of the trap you've been using?

Edited by EricaWieser, 31 May 2011 - 08:43 PM.

#3 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:14 PM

sometimes placement can be real important, try narrow areas where fish have to travel through, you should be able to get some dace at the least

#4 Guest_beanosvaughn_*

Guest_beanosvaughn_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:15 PM

I have been using crushed cracked for bait.

#5 Guest_beanosvaughn_*

Guest_beanosvaughn_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:15 PM

Meant to say crushed crackers

#6 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:23 PM

Just crushed crackers? Try varying your bait a bit. You can try dry dog food pellets, a bit of cocktail shrimp, lots of things. Try everything once.

#7 Guest_beanosvaughn_*

Guest_beanosvaughn_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:30 PM

I thought it might help to mention that I am collecting in a local urban canal.I don't have anywhere else to collect at the moment. This canal is fairly deep,though not very wide. At most times the water is sluggish.

#8 Guest_beanosvaughn_*

Guest_beanosvaughn_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:33 PM

Would you suggest using all these baits at once?

#9 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:54 PM

I thought it might help to mention that I am collecting in a local urban canal.I don't have anywhere else to collect at the moment. This canal is fairly deep,though not very wide. At most times the water is sluggish.

Where are you located? I mean an urban canal in Tampa is very different than one in Detroit. Update your profile with something a little more specific. Also, lots of minnows live in at least a little bit of current... if the water is really sluggish, there may not be many minnows ii there...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#10 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:28 AM

not to mention that the soda bottle traps really do not have a big enough opening to lure the minnows in. The most I have caught in them are darters, madtoms, crayfish and topminnows (when kept in very shallow water)

I would recommend buying an actual galvanized trap from Gander Mountain/Cabelas/Bass Proshop to increase the likelyhood of getting actual minnows.

#11 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:05 AM

I too have had limited success with the soda bottle trap. They will work, but not as well as a real trap. Walmart usually has a decent trap for sale. They aren't very expensive.

#12 Guest_beanosvaughn_*

Guest_beanosvaughn_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:45 PM

Where are you located? I mean an urban canal in Tampa is very different than one in Detroit. Update your profile with something a little more specific. Also, lots of minnows live in at least a little bit of current... if the water is really sluggish, there may not be many minnows ii there...

It is not extremely sluggish it has some current but it is not a fast current.I also just edited my profile to be more specific. Unfortunately since I live in the west we don't have the big variety of minnows,darters etc. that the midwest and eastern states have.

Edited by beanosvaughn, 01 June 2011 - 04:55 PM.

#13 Guest_beanosvaughn_*

Guest_beanosvaughn_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:24 PM

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas!

#14 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:03 AM

Crackers work pretty well. Be sure there are minnows in the vicinity of the minnow trap. Or sunfishes.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users