self sufficient aquarium

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_jasonpatterson_*

Guest_jasonpatterson_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:09 PM

The challenge is to tinker with the second law of thermodynamics, which will drag you down with entropy and loss in general.

I understand what you mean (I'm pretty sure I do anyway) but this has nothing to do with entropy. It's far from a closed system where entropy might play a role in the long term. Given the right organisms and starting materials, there's no reason at all why a system like this could not survive indefinitely as long as it is supplied energy. Sorry, this is a physics pet peeve of mine. :)

#22 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:28 PM

as long as it is supplied energy.

Yes, that's my whole point. Conversely, you can supply too much energy and cook it.

#23 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:54 AM

Pylo -- By the time you have kids (and way before grandkids) the tank will most likely have algae, small zooplankton (protozoa, cyclops, ostracods, aeolosoma), flatworms and maybe snails. I doubt the fish, shrimp and vascular plants will survive beyond a few years, even with the best planning and design. Chances are your kids (or their significant others) will not want to keep it that way. Sorry grandpa. It could be fun to try it for awhile, but be ready and willing to intervene if/when animals are suffering.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users