Western North Carolina

132 replies to this topic

#81 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:12 AM

Good to see you back posting Issac!

Here's some video as promised:

I don't know how to not imbed the film... I loaded this at screen res, so you can watch the videos in larger format straight from my channel: http://www.youtube.com/toddcrail

I have got to get that scratch buffed out. That was a lot of nosy tangerine footage that would be been spectacular if I didn't have to keep a fixed focus because of it.

Todd

Edited by farmertodd, 19 September 2011 - 11:15 AM.

#82 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:27 AM

Very nicely done Farmer-dude. I have never seen tangerines in such calm waters... usually I am holding on for dear life and freezing to death in the Hiawasee... this was calm, and dead still camera-work. And I love the audio left in... bubbles, riffle noise, felt like I was there!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#83 Guest_Creekwalker_*

Guest_Creekwalker_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:02 PM

Very cool Todd!

#84 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:18 PM

Im looking forward to someone polar bear swimming to get some awesome breeding dress photos.

#85 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:21 AM

Awesome videos Todd! Seeing a fish’s movement and behavior allows one to learn about new fish in a way that photos do not. For instance, these Tangerines sure do spend a lot of time swimming for a darter.

#86 Guest_frogwhacker_*

Guest_frogwhacker_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:29 AM

Due to limited internet options, I can only view videos between 2:00AM and 7:00AM. So here I am at 3:00 in the morning coming down with a cold and not feeling well. Your videos of these magnificent tangerine darters are just what I needed. Since viewing the pictures of them y'all posted I've just been in love with them. These amazing creatures have no idea how much they just brightened up my day. Thanks so much for sharing them. Awesome footage.

Steve.

#87 Guest_Creekwalker_*

Guest_Creekwalker_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:27 PM

Anyone gotten in this year? We've had a cold stretch but warming now and I want to see some fish in breeding colors. Did I miss out? Or is this still breeding season in mountain streams?

I'm going snorkeling saturday dadgummit! :biggrin:

Edited by Creekwalker, 01 May 2012 - 03:27 PM.

#88 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

May to June is when most of the NC mountain and upper Piedmont minnows and darters breed.

#89 Guest_Creekwalker_*

Guest_Creekwalker_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:12 PM

Thanks Gerald, I was able to get back in the water. Pretty cold on my hands for about the first 20 minutes. Good thing I had a 4/6 mil wetsuit !

I noticed a few things about some of the fish I have been seeing.

I noticed that the Tuckaseegee darters seem to be the billy goats of the darters in my neck of the woods. I see them climbing walls under waterfalls and hanging out in the craziest currents.

I also noticed that the biggest tangerine darters whose backs are almost solid black are rarely out in the open. They seem to hand out under big rocks in the shadows, leaving the smaller tangerines out in the open.

I also noticed that the pectoral fins on big tangerins are iridescent blue, anal (?) fins on the big Tuckaseegees are green, and that the river chub with the pointy tubercules have the most unbelievable rainbow hues radiating off all of the barbs and lips (but that none of it comes out in a photograph).

Oh, and I never knew I'd see so many bass (including largemouths) in cold cold mountain stream water. I see more bass than trout in these trout streams!

Edited by Creekwalker, 06 May 2012 - 09:12 PM.

#90 Guest_Creekwalker_*

Guest_Creekwalker_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:25 PM

Pics from the past two days.

Attached Images

• Chub & shiners.jpg
  • Warpaint.jpg

Edited by Creekwalker, 06 May 2012 - 10:27 PM.

#91 Guest_Creekwalker_*

Guest_Creekwalker_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:28 PM

Illusive greenfin darter.

Attached Images

• Greenfin 5-06-12.jpg
  • Greenfin in chasm.jpg
  • Greenfin hi res tail.jpg

Edited by Creekwalker, 06 May 2012 - 10:28 PM.

#92 Guest_Creekwalker_*

Guest_Creekwalker_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:29 PM

Tuckaseegee darters with green anal fin.

Attached Images

• Tuckaseege greenfin 5-06-12.jpg
  • Big Tuck 2.jpg

Edited by Creekwalker, 06 May 2012 - 10:29 PM.

#93 Guest_Creekwalker_*

Guest_Creekwalker_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:30 PM

More darters

Attached Images

• Tangerine.jpg
  • Tuckaseegee 5-06-12.jpg

#94 Guest_Creekwalker_*

Guest_Creekwalker_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:31 PM

And a cool snail. :biggrin:

Attached Images

• snail.jpg

#95 Guest_Creekwalker_*

Guest_Creekwalker_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:58 AM

#96 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:42 AM

The more pics of the Tuckaseegee Darter the better. That is one rare and beautiful Greenside variant. They can be spectacular.
Those are Tennnessee, translucent orange, Shiners spawning over the Stoneroller pit digger... cool seeing him dig out the stones with his mouth. Warpaints in the midst... nice shot showing their tubercules. Sometimes they look frosty with the shimmering glow of white.
Certainly a sweet spot. Down here in the valley the spawning show is about over. I still see horny chubs and stonies but they are about spent. You were there on a prime day... congratulations.
Understood on the almost black bull tangerines in the fastest king rapid riffles. They are a bit skittish but worth being patient for. You might be able to capture some strutting and striking amongst the males... they FIGHT in earnest... but rare to see.
What was the water temp?
What camera are you now using?
Nice Greenfin shot too. Sometimes they come out and pose.
Any Devil Dogs?
Casper

#97 Guest_Creekwalker_*

Guest_Creekwalker_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:01 AM

Wassup Casper? Here's a video of Tucks I just posted.

The current was insane, so pretty hard to hold onto the rock that was anchoring me.

Edited by Creekwalker, 07 May 2012 - 11:03 AM.

#98 Guest_Creekwalker_*

Guest_Creekwalker_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:49 AM

Tennessee shiners with some stonerollers mixed in hovering over the river chub's spawning bed.

#99 Guest_Creekwalker_*

Guest_Creekwalker_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:04 PM

Todd gave me an idea about bumping the settings on the images to enhance the picture.

Just tried it on my greenfin which was pretty washed out & blurry.

Attached Images

• Greenfin in chasm adjusted.jpg

Edited by Creekwalker, 07 May 2012 - 07:05 PM.

#100 Guest_Creekwalker_*

Guest_Creekwalker_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:33 AM

Here's the "Todd treatment" on two of my pics. Pretty cool!

Attached Images

• Chub & shiners.jpg
  • Tangerine.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users