fish i.d

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MINNOW_*

Guest_MINNOW_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:12 PM

ok is this a creek chub !!! sorry bout the pics ,it was dark and the mosquito's were killing me. thanks
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:36 PM

What camera model do you have? I'd be able to look it up and point out the macro button for you. That helps a lot when taking close up photos.

#3 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:50 PM

According to http://www.enature.c...p?recNum=FI0423 , the creek chub has 9 dorsal fin rays and the sandhill chub, a similar species, has 9 dorsal fin rays. Where did you find this fish? The range can help identify it.

Also, I'm no expert (not at all), but that fish doesn't really look like this image: http://www.fcps.edu/.../creek_chub.htm Was the fish you caught in spawning colors?

Edited by EricaWieser, 01 August 2011 - 09:55 PM.

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:12 PM

ok is this a creek chub !!!

No, it is not... looks more Luxilus to me in body and head shape... my Peterson's says you have common shiners in Mass... and even shows the red edges to the fins that I think I see...

...asking is of course OK... but check out the book... 15 bucks and you can study up on em, and learn em right there before the mosquitos can get a chance to eat you up...

http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/0547242069
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:14 PM

Yeah, that fish is a Luxilus and almost certainly cornutus at that.

#6 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:18 PM

If it were in MS I would say striped shiner...otherwise yeah, I second Bruce on that ID.

#7 Guest_MINNOW_*

Guest_MINNOW_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:27 AM

ok so its a common shiner and it was just caught yesterday,it was a creek that drops out of a pond and there is a drop off of rocks in a pool.so it's like a little water fall. this was caught in mass. thank you i have a Sony cyber shot 12.1.

#8 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:41 AM

i have a Sony cyber shot 12.1.

According to page 14 of the manual for the Sony DSC-W210/W215/W220/W230 (pdf: http://www.docs.sony...ase/DSCW220.pdf ), the macro button is on the left side of the circular button and is represented by a tulip flower. You can toggle the macro on and off by pressing that tulip-like flower during the picture taking mode. Press once to turn macro on; the screen will tell you it's on. Press it again to turn macro off, again indicated by an alert on the screen.

Turning macro on will tell the camera to focus on objects close up. It'll come in handy for taking pictures of fish in the future. :)

Edited by EricaWieser, 02 August 2011 - 11:42 AM.

#9 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:56 PM

looks like a striped shiner. heres a breeding male--

My link

#10 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:21 PM

For crying out loud, does anybody bother picking up a book and checking range maps before sharing their opinion anymore? OR even worse, just look up some Google Images for "minnow"?

Signed,
Disgruntled not-so-old fart

#11 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:01 PM

i think its a bullfrog :mrgreen:

#12 Guest_MINNOW_*

Guest_MINNOW_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:14 PM

I dont have books on fish and i did the Google deal just figured i would get some professional input !!!thanks lol so is it a stripped or a common ?

#13 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:40 AM

I dont have books on fish and i did the Google deal just figured i would get some professional input !!!thanks lol so is it a stripped or a common ?

common, based on range maps (and my original answer... and bruce's answer... an icthyologist that used to live in Mass.)... check out this link for a free brochure of freshwater fishes of mass.

http://www.mass.gov/...heries_pubs.htm
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#14 Guest_dafrimpster_*

Guest_dafrimpster_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:24 AM

<cough> green sunfish <cough> <cough>

#15 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:32 PM

<cough> green sunfish <cough> <cough>

sure, but remember 80% is only a B-

#16 Guest_dafrimpster_*

Guest_dafrimpster_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:35 AM

sure, but remember 80% is only a B-

Is there a pass / fail option?

#17 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2011 - 12:53 AM

For crying out loud, does anybody bother picking up a book and checking range maps before sharing their opinion anymore? OR even worse, just look up some Google Images for "minnow"?

Signed,
Disgruntled not-so-old fart

No thinking for yourself Dave! Didn't you learn that in school? ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users