new!

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_allaboutfish_*

Guest_allaboutfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:09 AM

ok so im new to the frorum. i dont really technically keep any native fish from my the united states, but i do keep gardneri biassa killifish(native to africa) in a species only ten gallon tank. i will most likely be setting up a tank for everglades pygmy sunfish in around a month or so in another 10 gallon.i have the tank and filter i just need plants to grow in my other tanks so i can take some for it. well those are really my "native" tanks. i have 3 other tanks a 29 gallon community, a 20 gallon long brackish with land crab tank, and a 5 gallon betta tank which dont have natives in them. ok so i do have a question and want to know if someone can answer it. i live in TN and want to make sure its not illegal to sell killifish, corys, or pygmy sunfish via internet or local fish stores.thanks for having me!!!

Attached Images

• killi male.jpg
  • killi female.jpg
  • male killi.jpg
  • male killi two.jpg
  • 29 gallon.jpg

Edited by allaboutfish, 02 August 2011 - 07:09 AM.

#2 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:53 AM

Cute killifish in that first picture. It looks like it's smiling :D

Pygmy sunfish are great fish. A 10 gallon tank is a nice sized home for them. And yes, they love plants. The sand that you have in the photos of your tanks would make a good topping for the substrate in the pygmy sunfish tank. Pygmy sunfish eggs are about the size of a grain of sand, so when people use something larger like gravel, the eggs can get stuck in between the rocks. But I can't imagine your rooted plants are growing very well in just sand? Do you fertilize?

I don't know anything about the laws in TN, but I can give you the phone number for the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency: (615) 781-6500. Maybe they'll know more about a license for selling fish. Or maybe someone else from this forum can comment.

Edited by EricaWieser, 02 August 2011 - 11:54 AM.

#3 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:07 PM

Being Tennessee's NANFA rep i would urge you to call TWRA as Erica suggested and post their response in the TN rules and regulations sub forum, and use the individual's name and title. I see you have found the rules and regulations section on the forum, good job, and perhaps you have read over its many postings and responses. You can also pick up a 2011 TN fishing regulations and try and comprehend it. Bringing non native fish into Tennessee from other states may or may not be acceptable... however certainly fish are imported from all over the world into Tennessee for resale at pet stores. Does that mean a Tennessean can keep fish from other states that are not naturally found within Tennessee? It all seems bass ackward to me.

I would urge you to call and share your experience.

#4 Guest_allaboutfish_*

Guest_allaboutfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:23 PM

Cute killifish in that first picture. It looks like it's smiling :D

Pygmy sunfish are great fish. A 10 gallon tank is a nice sized home for them. And yes, they love plants. The sand that you have in the photos of your tanks would make a good topping for the substrate in the pygmy sunfish tank. Pygmy sunfish eggs are about the size of a grain of sand, so when people use something larger like gravel, the eggs can get stuck in between the rocks. But I can't imagine your rooted plants are growing very well in just sand? Do you fertilize?

I don't know anything about the laws in TN, but I can give you the phone number for the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency: (615) 781-6500. Maybe they'll know more about a license for selling fish. Or maybe someone else from this forum can comment.

i know!! he looks alot like he has lipstick on. i dont do fertilizers and stem plants are a little hard to keep down in the sand until that get established but heavy rooters like aponogetons do great. if i can do the sunfish which i really wanna do then i will have miracle organic under the sand.

Being Tennessee's NANFA rep i would urge you to call TWRA as Erica suggested and post their response in the TN rules and regulations sub forum, and use the individual's name and title. I see you have found the rules and regulations section on the forum, good job, and perhaps you have read over its many postings and responses. You can also pick up a 2011 TN fishing regulations and try and comprehend it. Bringing non native fish into Tennessee from other states may or may not be acceptable... however certainly fish are imported from all over the world into Tennessee for resale at pet stores. Does that mean a Tennessean can keep fish from other states that are not naturally found within Tennessee? It all seems bass ackward to me.

ok ill call. im hoping i can keep these guys theyre pretty awesome fish, and people could introduce goldfish to a lake or river and it could survive if it were big enough so i see no reason a pygmy sunfish couldnt be kept in a fish tank.

#5 Guest_allaboutfish_*

Guest_allaboutfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:26 PM

do you own any native fish?

#6 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:48 PM

No "ownership".
:)
I have taken care of a lot of species but am generally content these days to snorkel, observe and photograph the many species within our great state. I would urge you to as well, however you being from my birthplace of Memphis i think for clear water you must go east or cross the mighty Mississippi to mountains and springs of the watch e taws or Ozarks in Arkansas or Missouri. I did dipnet a lot of pretty fish around Memphis in my early days. I think you should get out and see what is around you, you will be amazed. Gotta watch for those water mocs though!

#7 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:00 AM

Hello Everyone,
I 'm Arline Ryan and i am newbie here.i like to share my knowledge here and also gain some tips. I like reading novels and Garden decor.

hello, welcome to the forum. Is there a reason you have a link to silk bamboo plant decorations in your signature?

#8 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:56 AM

It's because she's a spammer, and the message has been removed.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users