Electrofishing survey in Virginia's Roanoke River

24 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:14 PM

Hello everybody,

I recently returned from a trip in which I was conducting an electrofishing survey below the Leesville Dam near the town of Leesville, VA. The Leesville Dam forms the Leesville Lake impoundment on the Roanoke River (a map below, adapted from mapsofworld.com, shows a black dot at the dam's location). The owners of the hydroelectric dam contracted the company I'm working with to do an electrofishing survey as part of their biomonitoring program that helps demonstrate the effect of the dam on the river's fish community.
Posted Image

We (Midwest Biodiversity Institute) were scheduled to sample 2km of water below the dam. We broke the 2km into four 500m reaches. Three 500m reaches were to be sampled on our first day of work, and the final 500m reach was sampled on the second day. The Roanoke River is a about 35-40m wide below the dam and has pools that can be 5m deep. To sample a stream of that size, we brought along a 12 foot electrofishing raft. The raft was opted for instead of the typical aluminum jon boat because the raft is much better at bouncing off large boulders and is easier to drag through shallow water.
Posted Image
^ The raft on the trailer back at the hotel.

On the first morning, we (a crew leader and I) motored upstream from our boat launch to the Leesville Dam.
Posted Image

*An interesting bit of information about the Leesville Dam - every hour, on the hour, a siren sounds and a large pulse of water is released from the dam. The river rises and falls at least 2.5 - 3' every hour immediately below the dam. We arrived at the dam during what must have been "high tide" because as we parked the boat along the shore to get ready for sampling, the water level dropped at least 2'. Our boat was beached and we ended up having to drag the boat off the newly exposed gravel bar back into the river...all the while, a snake sat next to our boat, checking us out.
Posted Image

After a quick snapshot of the river downstream, we began sampling the first 500m downstream of the dam.
Posted Image

The first 50m or our 500m reach consisted of a large limestone bedrock ridge that formed a riffle, that was immediately followed by a pool that was at least 4m deep. The pool was full of golden redhorse, shorthead redhorse, striped bass, white perch, and largemouth bass. Our livewell was so full of fish after the first 50m, that we had to stop and process the fish (processing implies identifying, counting, measuring, and weighing the fish - and then returning them to the water) from that pool before continuing.
Posted Image
Posted Image
^ caught at least 20 large golden redhorse in the first pool.

Posted Image
^ sizeable shorthead redhorse were very common in the swift, deep water (although the one pictured is one of the smaller ones).

Posted Image
^ the pool was also full of small striped bass. The fish pictured is average sized for that pool. These fish may have washed out from the reservoir (Leesville Lake) upstream.

After finding so many fish in the first 50m, we knew we were in for a LONG day. We waited for the water to return to a lower state (i.e. 20 minutes after the water pulse came through) before continuing on with our sampling.

#2 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:18 PM

Nate you don't happen to work with Nick J. do you? Nice set up too. We did a similar thing with a 10' raft but made it even more portable (probably less safe); can even hop out with an anode in hand.

Isn't sampling right below a hydro dam fun? A one hour pulse (to maintain minimum flows or acceptable DO) is pretty frequent.

Edited by ashtonmj, 05 August 2011 - 12:22 PM.

#3 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:27 PM

Working our way downstream during a low water period, the river's substrate and character started to become more apparent. The limestone bedrock rose up in many areas and formed large ridges in swift water. Cobble, gravel, and sand accumulated behind the ridges and large boulders dominated the plunge pools behind the limestone ridge riffles.
Posted Image

The runs were dominated by cobble and gravel and were relatively free of silt. Algae and various aquatic macrophytes surely provided a suitable home for a variety of macroinvertebrates.
Posted Image

Log jams persisted along the shoreline in some areas. Frequently inundated (once an hour)gravel bars along the river's edge provided habitat for water willow as well.
Posted Image

The variety of microhabitats in this stretch of the river provided a home for a variety of Virginia's native fishes.

#4 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:33 PM

Nate you don't happen to work with Nick J. do you? Nice set up too. We did a similar thing with a 10' raft but made it even more portable (probably less safe); can even hop out with an anode in hand.

Isn't sampling right below a hydro dam fun? A one hour pulse (to maintain minimum flows or acceptable DO) is pretty frequent.

Matt, there is a new hire named Nick, but I haven't had the chance to work with him yet (although I might next week). This summer is my first time using the raft, and I've got to say I'm a big fan. Although the thing is prone to leaking (carp spines), the portability is very convenient.

It was quite a blast sampling below a hydro dam. Do all hydro dams function in a similar fashion (i.e. put out a one hour pulse)?

#5 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:35 PM

Nate,
I'm no expert in fish, but isn't that a hybrid bass?

Edit: Silly me, where are my manners? Those are really nice photos!

Edited by nativeplanter, 05 August 2011 - 12:46 PM.

#6 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:07 PM

The first day we sampled from the dam, downstream 1.5km. Because the river had fairly similar habitat throughout that range, I'll lump fish list together for that stretch.

Fishes collected;
Longnose gar (Lepisosteus osseus) - the only gar species in the drainage. A few large ones were observed below a gravel bar. I should note that the gar were not captured in our stretch, however they were observed and noted.
Gizzard shad (Dorosoma cepedianum) - caught a few in some of the deeper pools about 1km downstream of the dam. I was hoping to see some of the other Clupeidae native to this drainage...but oh well.
Common carp (Cyprinus carpio) - only a few were found milling around among the water willows. The few we caught were large (around 10 lbs. each) and in good shape (unlike the ones I encountered in the Chicagoland area a few weeks prior...which I still need to post about here).
Bull chub (Nocomis raneyi)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
- this is my first time seeing this fish, and ... wow ... what an impressive chub. They were very large (the one pictured is one of the smaller ones captured). This fish was frequently found at the head of deep, swift pools or among clumps of vegetation growing out of the cobble substrate in swift runs. They are one of two Nocomis species found in this drainage. The similar looking bluehead chub (Nocomis leptocephalus) has a scaled breast (this fish's breast was unscaled) and the bluehead chub's tubercles stop at their nostrils (this fish's tubercle scars show that its tubercles extend to the end of its snout, past the nostrils).
White shiner (Luxilus albeolus) - the only Luxilus encountered. They were most common in backwater areas behind the gravel bars.
Satinfin shiner (Cyprinella analostana
Posted Image
Posted Image
- became more common the further downstream we traveled.
Bluntnose minnow (Pimephales notatus)
Swallowtail shiner (Notropis procne)
Posted Image
Posted Image
- this is my first time seeing this fish. We only found one adult throughout this entire section. It was located within some macrophytes at the tail end of a large deep pool.
Spottail shiner (Notropis hudsonius)
Posted Image
Posted Image
- these spottail shiner look markedly different from the ones I frequently encounter in the Lake Erie drainage. Some of these spottail shiners had black lateral lines and their caudal spot (usually a tell-tale feature of this species) was absent on some fishes. Brian Zimmerman (smbass) and I were discussing this and it's clearly a different species than what is seen in the Great Lakes. Looking at the species checklist on our NANFA homepage, it appears that there is a Northern spottail shiner (Notropis hudsonius) and a Great Lakes spottail shiner (Notropis hudsonius spp.). I'll have to do a literature search to see what the current status of this fish is, because they certainly looked odd to me.

(continued - ran out of space for photos)

#7 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:27 PM

White sucker (Catostomus commersonii)
Quillback (Carpiodes cyprinus)
Golden redhorse (Moxostoma erythrurum)
Posted Image
- very abundant. These fish were found in good numbers in every pool throughout the 1.5km reach. Some of them were the largest of the species I had ever encountered.
Shorthead redhorse (Moxostoma macrolepidotum)
Posted Image
- very abundant. Typically the livewell would be chocked full of Catostomids after every pool. The sheer numbers of fish in each pool forced us to stop and process fish. Please note that all these large suckers are released, unharmed.
Blacktip jumprock (Moxostoma cervinum)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
- the black tips of the dorsal and caudal fins were a diagnostic of this species. We found quite a few of these near logs jams in swift, deep water. The largest ones we caught were around 6-7 inches long. They seemed like they'd be a great aquarium Catostomid.
Northern hogsucker (Hypentelium nigricans)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
- I was certainly on the lookout for Roanoke hogsucker (Hypentelium roanokense), but didn't find any. All the hogsuckers were Northerns. Perhaps the Roanoke hogsucker is more typical of smaller streams...? I always find it interesting when I find a northern hogsucker that loses all of its black dorsal stripes (i.e. the fourth hogsucker picture). I usually only see that on large adults.

(continued)

#8 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:58 PM

Channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus) - became common in the deeper pools away from the dam.
White perch (Morone americana) - very numerous immediately downstream of the dam. Some pools contained over 40 large adults.
Striped bass (Morone saxitilis) - found alongside the white perch in good numbers. Once we were 150 meters away from the dam, the striped bass disappeared.
Hybrid striped bass (Morone saxitilis x Morone chrysops)
Posted Image
- I was unsure of this one. My immediate instinct was that it's a hybrid striped bass. However, white bass (Morone chrysops) are also found in the drainage. I put the striped bass and hybrid striped bass (possibly) side by side for comparison. The bottom fish is clearly not a striped bass...but is it just a white bass? Haha...the more I look at it now, the more I think it's just a white bass.
Posted Image
Largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides) - found a few very large ones (over 5 lbs.) in some of the pools.
Smallmouth bass (Micropterus dolomieu) - less abundant than the largemouth bass.
Black crappie (Pomoxis nigromaculatus) - one large one directly downstream of the dam...likely washed out of the reservoir.
Bluegill (Lepomis macrochirus)
Green sunfish (Lepomis cyanellus) - only one or two.
Redear sunfish (Lepomis microlophus)
Posted Image
- caught two large adults in among log jams in deep water.
Redbreast sunfish (Lepomis auritus)
Posted Image
- the most common sunfish in the area. Some were large and brightly colored.
Hybrid sunfish (Lepomis cyanellus x Lepomis macrochirus)
Rock bass (Ambloplites rupestris) - found quite a few among the near shore boulders and log jams. Each rock bass was examined to ensure that it wasn't a roanoke bass (Ambloplites cavifrons).
Roanoke bass (Ambloplites cavifrons)
Posted Image
Posted Image
- we recorded the fish as a possible rock bass x Roanoke bass hybrid, and then vouchered the specimen. The Roanoke bass seems to hybridize with the rock bass as the rock bass continues to invade the range previously occupied by the Roanoke bass. When speaking with Brian Zimmerman (smbass), he told me that he had searched the Roanoke River drainage for Roanoke bass and found many of them to have hybridized with rock bass. The fish we captured had a series of white spots on the head (which seem to indicate that the fish is a Roanoke bass) and it lacked the dark margin on the anal fin (which is a characteristic of a rock bass). The fish pictured may indeed be a Roanoke bass. It certainly didn't look like any of the rock bass that we encountered.
Walleye (Sander vitreus) - every pool seemed to contain a few large "eating sized" walleye.
Yellow perch (Perca flavescens)
Posted Image
Shield darter (Percina peltata)
Posted Image
- seemed to be abundant along the edges of the water willow on the gravel bars.
Roanoke darter (Percina roanoka) - found throughout the gravel and cobble runs. They were undoubtedly more abundant than our records will indicate, as electrofishing from a boat isn't the most efficient way to get an estimate of darter population sizes (they're hard to see from the bow of the boat and when stunned, they tend to fall in the cracks of the rocks in swift water and are difficult to extract).
*** darter (Percina sp.) - details available through PM.
Johnny darter (Etheostoma nigrum)

#9 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2011 - 02:09 PM

After a long day of fish catching (in 95*F heat), we called it a day and left our furthest downstream site for the next day.

We arrived the next day, bright and early, and motored downstream to our final site. The 500m site had a 50m long riffle and run habitat followed by a long deep pool. This area was more characteristic of a large river.
Posted Image

Here, we saw a decrease in the amount of riffle/run dwelling species and an increase in fishes associated with deeper pools. The only new species we encountered in this area was the comely shiner (Notropis amoenus).
Posted Image
Posted Image

It was certainly an interesting river to sample and I got to see many species of fish that were new to me. I'm glad I got the opportunity to take some pictures as well, and share my experience here. I won't be returning to the Roanoke River anytime soon, unfortunately. Most of the rest of my summer has me doing electrofishing surveys in the East Branch of the DuPage River in the Chicagoland area. While I'm netting carp and goldfish with tumors in Chicago, it'll be nice to look back and reflect on the Roanoke.

-Nate

#10 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2011 - 02:21 PM

Nate, those are really great photos. Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy your trip reports!

#11 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:24 PM

Nice Pix and write-up Nate! A few comments & questions:
1. I think your top sucker photo (with lips close-up) is a Notchlip (M.collapsum) not Golden.

2. Shield darter has been split into Shield (P.peltata, James R and north) and Chainback (P.nevisense, Roanoke, Tar-Neuse). So those "should" be Chainback based on range. Not sure how they're different, check Jenkins book.

3. Does that Comely shiner really have red pigment on the side, or is that a photo glitch? I've never collected amoenus in the Roanoke, but the Neuse and Cape Fear ones I've seen are shiny silver-blue without any red on the side. Maybe a faint trace on the snout.

4. Does the 2.5-3 ft hourly rise/fall persist throughout your whole 2 km study reach, or does it become less pronounced /attenuated as you move downstream?

5. Did you get "xxx darter" in the uppermost segment? If not, do you think the pulsing is an adverse impact, or are other habitat factors making that stretch unsuitable?

Edited by gerald, 05 August 2011 - 03:36 PM.

#12 Guest_MichiJim_*

Guest_MichiJim_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:01 PM

Nate, fantastic stuff. Electrofishing is a blast, and below dams you see combinations of fish you don't see in the main river. I really liked the jumprock. We don't have those in Michigan. Do they make good aquarium fish?

I agree with nativeplanter - I think the first striped bass is a hybrid because of the broken lines on its sides. In the photo with the two fish side by side, I would guess that the top fish is a striped bass, the lower a white bass. Hopefully someone with more experience with these fish can help.

Very cool stuff. I have much envy.

#13 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2011 - 06:01 PM

Nate, those are really great photos. Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy your trip reports!

Thank you very much! It was a lot of fun to go on the trip and to report. Writing it all out is a great way to learn about these fishes that I rarely encounter.

Nice Pix and write-up Nate! A few comments & questions:
1. I think your top sucker photo (with lips close-up) is a Notchlip (M.collapsum) not Golden.

2. Shield darter has been split into Shield (P.peltata, James R and north) and Chainback (P.nevisense, Roanoke, Tar-Neuse). So those "should" be Chainback based on range. Not sure how they're different, check Jenkins book.

3. Does that Comely shiner really have red pigment on the side, or is that a photo glitch? I've never collected amoenus in the Roanoke, but the Neuse and Cape Fear ones I've seen are shiny silver-blue without any red on the side. Maybe a faint trace on the snout.

4. Does the 2.5-3 ft hourly rise/fall persist throughout your whole 2 km study reach, or does it become less pronounced /attenuated as you move downstream?

5. Did you get "xxx darter" in the uppermost segment? If not, do you think the pulsing is an adverse impact, or are other habitat factors making that stretch unsuitable?

Gerald,

Thanks for your comments/questions. In response;

1. The fish we called "golden redhorse" looked a little odd. Perhaps that was why some of them were indeed the biggest I'd ever seen of the species. We were certainly on the lookout for V-lip redhorse (Moxostoma pappillosum), but I didn't know notchlip redhorse were in the drainage. The lip shot is of a different, larger fish. We may have indeed caught both golden and notchlip side by side. At first glance, I called the fish "silver redhorse" but they had a more elongate body than a silver, so I went back and changed the record to "golden". I've got to revisit my voucher photos.

2. For that one, I was referring to the Jenkins and Burkhead book. If I'm not mistaken, it was published in 1994, so the split may have happened afterward. I'll definitely look into it.

3. The comely shiner was certainly blue/silver. I'm using an Olympus Tough point-and-shoot that's bright orange (an oversight on my part during the purchase of the camera). Sometimes silvery scales will reflect the color from the camera's casing.

4. The rise is most noticeable nearest the dam. As you go downstream, you can notice the rise, but it's not as drastic. Perhaps 2km down the rise is only 1 ft. The river is also a bit wider and deeper there.

5. "xxx darter" was found in the uppermost section. Two of the three that were caught were taken in the limestone ridges/riffles. They seemed to be using the large slabs of limestone as current breaks.

Nate, fantastic stuff. Electrofishing is a blast, and below dams you see combinations of fish you don't see in the main river. I really liked the jumprock. We don't have those in Michigan. Do they make good aquarium fish?

I agree with nativeplanter - I think the first striped bass is a hybrid because of the broken lines on its sides. In the photo with the two fish side by side, I would guess that the top fish is a striped bass, the lower a white bass. Hopefully someone with more experience with these fish can help.

Very cool stuff. I have much envy.

Hi MichiJim,

I've never tried keeping jumprock in an aquarium. I just figured with their small size makes them as good as a candidate as any if you're looking to try to keep a Catostomid in an aquarium.

I don't know if I agree about the fish with the elongate body being a hybrid. That body shape seems pretty indicative of a striped bass. All they hybrid striped bass I've seen have a body shape more similar to a white bass.

#14 Guest_MichiJim_*

Guest_MichiJim_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:34 PM

You were there, so I will go with your call. I have a friend in Richmond, and I hope to visit him and do some sampling.

Great photos, look forward to more.

#15 Guest_frogwhacker_*

Guest_frogwhacker_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:08 PM

Wow, I could read your account of this and look at these pictures for hours. Very enjoyable. Thank you so much for sharing. I have to admit, I'm envious of the type of job you have, but I'm sure glad that some of you can do this and share your findings and photos with the rest of us. Thanks again.

#16 Guest_Doug_Dame_*

Guest_Doug_Dame_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:22 PM

Fun fun fun. Great px and write-up, thanks for sharing.

#17 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:35 AM

Awesome photos and it looks like you had a great time. I always wanted to go electrofishing. (fish and game asked if I wanted to once, I called back and they never got back in touch with me). I like the sheer variety of the fish you caught. Also their was very pretty blue on the satinfin shiner you found.

It's been a while since I did a trip report, I wonder if I should put my last four trips to the connecticut into one big report.

Edited by FirstChAoS, 06 August 2011 - 12:36 AM.

#18 Guest_MichiJim_*

Guest_MichiJim_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:59 AM

Firstchaos,

Please put your reports up. These are my favorite topics on these boards. I almost always learn something new.

#19 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2011 - 07:53 AM

Awesome stuff Nate. I went to grad school and lived with Nick. Think I told him about MIWB; he left GADNR and moved up to Ohio last year following spouse.

I've also never seen comely's with that much pigment. Even though the dorsal and anal fins are compressed they appear right. What did pigment under the chin/throat look like?

Edited by ashtonmj, 06 August 2011 - 07:55 AM.

#20 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:26 AM

Awesome photos and it looks like you had a great time. I always wanted to go electrofishing. (fish and game asked if I wanted to once, I called back and they never got back in touch with me). I like the sheer variety of the fish you caught. Also their was very pretty blue on the satinfin shiner you found.

It's been a while since I did a trip report, I wonder if I should put my last four trips to the connecticut into one big report.

I think that you should definitely write it up... but maybe if you have four that you can put in one big story... then maybe you should write them up and submit them to Chris for publication in the AC. I know he is working to pump out some issues and I know from past conversations that editors are always looking for good content. AC has room in it (just like NANFA in general) for the academic and professional and enthusiast. So be enthusiastic and write it up for us all to read!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users