Electrofishing survey in Virginia's Roanoke River

24 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_dmarkley_*

Guest_dmarkley_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:51 AM

Hi Nate,

Something I've been curious about? When electrofishing, are species other than fish affected? Critters such as crayfish, salamanders, clams, mussels, aquatic insects, etc?

Dean

#22 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:55 AM

It's highly variable, but the answer is yes. They have tissue therefore the current is affecting (passing current) their muscles in some manor.

#23 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:54 PM

Awesome stuff Nate. I went to grad school and lived with Nick. Think I told him about MIWB; he left GADNR and moved up to Ohio last year following spouse.

I've also never seen comely's with that much pigment. Even though the dorsal and anal fins are compressed they appear right. What did pigment under the chin/throat look like?

When I met him for a brief bit he mentioned that he worked with GADNR. I'm currently working on the crew of which he's usually a member. He seems to do good work here.

Even though I had written in my notebook (which stayed in my pocket) to look at the chin pigmentation, I forgot to check it out.

#24 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:59 PM

Hi Nate,

Something I've been curious about? When electrofishing, are species other than fish affected? Critters such as crayfish, salamanders, clams, mussels, aquatic insects, etc?

Dean

It's highly variable, but the answer is yes. They have tissue therefore the current is affecting (passing current) their muscles in some manor.

To chime in on Matt's answer, other organisms are certainly affected. It seems that any aquatic organism can be affected by the pulse of the electricity. It's not a fatal dose of electricity, but you can certainly see them either scurry away from the current (i.e. snapping turtles, muskrats, and crayfish), or become stunned only to recover shortly after the electric current is removed (i.e. salamanders, leeches, frogs). I've never looked to see how mussels respond to the current. I image they'd "clam up". I'll keep an eye out for that this week.

#25 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:48 PM

Awesome pictures, Nate! I love reading your trip reports. It's neat to see fish I haven't seen in person (yet).

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users