How much to feed baby sunfish

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_clarosee_*

Guest_clarosee_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:50 AM

I recently got two bluegill that are about an inch long from a pond. I have been feeding them frozen blood worms once a day. Is that ok?

#2 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:55 AM

Young, growing fish like to eat more frequently than adult, fully grown fish. Try feeding them twice or three times a day. Slowly add the frozen blood worms a little at a time, and stop when they stop eating them. The goal with raising fry or juveniles is to keep them full all the time, but to avoid leaving a lot of extra food in their tank to rot.

#3 Guest_clarosee_*

Guest_clarosee_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:59 PM

Thanks. This is very helpful

#4 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:32 PM

Also keep in mind there is a wide range between how much a young bluegill NEEDS to stay healthy and how much it WILL eat if given the chance. If you're hoping to keep them long-term in a tank less than 100 gallons, then dont feed them all-they-can-eat once they get beyond 2" or so. If their bellies are gently rounded, not flat, they're getting enough. It wont hurt them to slow their growth a bit.

#5 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:43 PM

Also keep in mind there is a wide range between how much a young bluegill NEEDS to stay healthy and how much it WILL eat if given the chance. If you're hoping to keep them long-term in a tank less than 100 gallons, then dont feed them all-they-can-eat once they get beyond 2" or so. If their bellies are gently rounded, not flat, they're getting enough. It wont hurt them to slow their growth a bit.

Kind of in the same vein of thought, I've heard rumor of people accidentally killing their fry by overfeeding. But I've never actually spoken to a person or read a first person account of that happening. Do you think it can really happen? That a fry can eat itself to death?

#6 Guest_MichiJim_*

Guest_MichiJim_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:27 AM

I think its more a case of overfeeding the tank, rather than the individual fish. Its more difficult to keep track of what little ones are eating.

When I had some very small black banded sunfish, I started them in a tank without gravel just so I could track what was eaten. With small fish, I fed only as much as they would consume in 5 minutes, and then remove the remainder. Like Gerald said, as long as they aren't starving, I think its best to not push too much food.

#7 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:38 AM

...I've heard rumor of people accidentally killing their fry by overfeeding. But I've never actually spoken to a person or read a first person account of that happening. Do you think it can really happen? That a fry can eat itself to death?

Oops, sorry, a clarification. I was referring to the people who claim that overfeeding with freshly hatched baby brine shrimp can cause the fry to die because they claim overeating can cause the fry's stomach to explode.

Edited by EricaWieser, 02 September 2011 - 10:38 AM.

#8 Guest_MichiJim_*

Guest_MichiJim_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:12 PM

Can't say I've heard that one.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users