NANFA in Central KY: 9-2-11

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:46 AM

I am planning a day outing for Saturday Sept. 2nd. I invite anyone who'd like to come out and do some seining to sign up. Here is the details of the trip.

Saturday September 2nd 2011.
9am, we will meet in the Walmart Parking lot in Stanford KY. I will be in my truck and depending on how many people we get, I will be driving and can comfortably seat 4 people (5 is a little much, as some at the convention found out) and all their gear.

Location 1: We will hit 2 locations of Fishing creek in the Eubank KY area.
---1a: Headwaters of Fishing Creek, I expect to see Southern Red-Belly Dace, Scarlet Shiners, Stonerollers, and an odd variety of Orangethroat Darters here. The Othroats are super blue here.
---1b: Lower Fishing Creek, Hope to see Redline Darters, Eastrim Darter, Whitetail Shiners, Rainbow Darters, full list HERE

Location 2: This is a toss up depending on what everyone wants to do
---2a: We could skip over to Buck Creek. Here we'd likely find Bluebreast Darters, Bloodfin Darters, Banded Darters, Greenside Darters, and a host of shiners, complete list HERE.
---2b: Head back north and hit the Upper Green River. Here will would likely see Orangefin Darters, Teardrop Darters, Elegant Madtom, Scarlet Shiners, among others. Full list HERE. We can do both, but may exclude the last drainage area.

Location 3, if needed: Dix River area around Lancaster. Here we could possibly see the Sheltowee Darter (orangethroat variant) and the Blackstripe Topminnow. List HERE

It is cooling off here in KY, but it can still be fairly hot during the days. I strongly suggest bringing a cooler to house your fish as a bucket will warm up quickly. Finrot is a major killer of shiners/minnows when dealing with transporting them in warm weather (scarlet shiners/SRBD are fragile enough already). We will likely stop and ge some fast-food along the way, but it wouldn't hurt to bring a few bottles of water and a snack of some sort if you feel you'll need it. The fish I listed specifically have been caught before in the locations will will be going, but as with anything, there are no guarantees. However, the more people we have, the better our chances. I hope to see some people out this weekend.

#2 Guest_GreenRiverKY_*

Guest_GreenRiverKY_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:56 AM

I'm in. Will we be going through any deep pools that may require chest waders, or will knee high boots be sufficient?

Edited by GreenRiverKY, 30 August 2011 - 12:26 PM.

#3 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:55 PM

I'm in. Will we be going through any deep pools that may require chest waders, or will knee high boots be sufficient?

The water is fairly warm. I'll wear some old hiking boots/tennis shoes. I'm not sure how deep some spots will be, bring both if you want.

#4 Guest_JohnO_*

Guest_JohnO_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:09 PM

This is what I call the 'greatest hits of southern KY' route. At least four species of Nothonotus, my favorite darter, plenty of SRBD's and they're usually hardy enough to last the trip home. Hope we find orangefins, they maintain their color well throughout the year.

Fishing Creek can be a mixed bag. When I was there last fall, it was thick with redline and snubnose darters, but when I gave it a sweep in July, I couldn't find much of anything. Could be rags or riches. Of course, the water was a lot higher in July, that may have been a factor.

About this time last year, I found two large male speckled darters in Buck, and they aren't supposed to be there. Supposed to be only in the Rockcastle drainage (I've found plenty there), and Buck is completely separate, drains the other way into the cumberland. Interesting... Buck Creek always has a surprise or two.

That's what I love about prowling the S and E KY streams. You just never know what you will find. Can look for an hour and find nothing, or maybe that first net comes up with something spectacular.

#5 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:12 AM

It's going to be another hot one here in KY on Saturday. My advised to take any precaution nessecary to protect your fish. I have two small plastic containers that I freeze pre-treated water in and will put in my transport cooler. These large frozen blocks help cool the water and keep the fish happy. Aquarium salt also helps keep away finrot in the bucket.

#6 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:16 PM

Have fun you guys!

#7 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:00 PM

I'm looking forward to it...though we're having a heat wave and it's going to be HOT tomorrow.

#8 Guest_GreenRiverKY_*

Guest_GreenRiverKY_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:09 PM

The heat might get rough on us in the afternoon but I'm ready to get my net wet anyway.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users