Sand as a Substrate

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_PeterE_*

Guest_PeterE_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:09 PM

It turns out that the only sand that I can get within an hour's drive is builder's sand, the kind used for mixing concrete. Is this good enough?

#22 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:23 PM

But in new tanks that aren't settled in yet, plants might need weighting.

Nah. If you push it down with your hands once after you've poured a bit of water in, the kitty litter is compact enough to weigh plants down.

#23 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:26 PM

It turns out that the only sand that I can get within an hour's drive is builder's sand, the kind used for mixing concrete. Is this good enough?

If it were me, I'd get a cup of water, add some builder's sand to it, and test the pH and DH of the water before and after the sand was added. Just to see if there's more in it than just sand, you know?

Also, I'd like to chip in that I'm skeptical there is no sand available within an hour's drive of you. Large stores often let you order products off of their website and will not charge you as long as you have it shipped to their local branch store instead of right to your door. So if you can find sand on the online product catalog of any store near you, then there is sand near you.

Edited by EricaWieser, 16 September 2011 - 05:28 PM.

#24 Guest_PeterE_*

Guest_PeterE_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:47 PM

Thanks Erica. I think you are probably right about ordering the sand, but I'll see how the builder's sand is first.

#25 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:45 PM

Thanks Erica. I think you are probably right about ordering the sand, but I'll see how the builder's sand is first.

You can also look for pool filter sand. Needs no rinsing!

#26 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:46 PM

Nah. If you push it down with your hands once after you've poured a bit of water in, the kitty litter is compact enough to weigh plants down.

I thought you said your Najas floated up when it was planted in cat litter?

#27 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:53 PM

I thought you said your Najas floated up when it was planted in cat litter?

Najas floated up when disturbed because it refused to grow roots. The kitty litter itself is dense enough to hold plants down. But if the plant doesn't grow roots then a vertical tug will pull it up.

Here is an image of how strong the kitty litter is at holding plants down. This is healthy Ceratophyllum demersum wrapped around a rectangle of half submerged PVC pipe. It was very bouyant, and the kitty litter held it down. The kitty litter is only a few hours old in this image. http://gallery.nanfa... after.jpg.html

Edited by EricaWieser, 17 September 2011 - 07:59 PM.

#28 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:18 PM

Najas floated up when disturbed because it refused to grow roots. The kitty litter itself is dense enough to hold plants down. But if the plant doesn't grow roots then a vertical tug will pull it up.

Here is an image of how strong the kitty litter is at holding plants down. This is healthy Ceratophyllum demersum wrapped around a rectangle of half submerged PVC pipe. It was very bouyant, and the kitty litter held it down. The kitty litter is only a few hours old in this image. http://gallery.nanfa... after.jpg.html

Actually, the pipe is holding the Ceratophyllumn down, right? Anyway, I meant that fine-rooted or stem clipping new plants might float (like your Najas, which had no roots). Thicker rooted plants would have more root length to bury and would start out anchored more.

#29 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:24 PM

It can be shifted, for sure. I would assume you put a good healthy layer in there if you want plants. I haven't had any rooted plants float away. Plastic decorations, on the other hand, are not adequately weighted down and will float away once a layer of algae grows and captures little oxygen bubbles.

#30 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:40 PM

Actually, the pipe is holding the Ceratophyllumn down, right?

PVC is only slightly more dense than water. It's not acting to weight the plant down in that image. The bouyant Ceratophyllum demersum easily pulls the PVC up to the surface if it's not properly buried.

Edited by EricaWieser, 18 September 2011 - 08:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users