Sampling the Millstone river Oct 3rd and 4th

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:12 AM

I think I'm the only active NJ member right now but this offer is open to anyone.

Barring anymore flood inducing rainstorms I'm going to sampling various areas of the Millstone river this coming Monday and/or Tuesday Oct 3rd and 4th. I think there may be a small fish species or 3 that I've never looked for in the river since before joining this forum I never knew they existed. I'm also going to be looking for an invasive crayfish species since I'm doing my own investigation as to how widespread they are on the Millstone. Anyone is welcome to come, the usual license rules apply(you need one). I don't expect to run across any endangered fish species on the River and barring something cool and unusual this I'm not looking to bring anything home anyway but if someone with a license wants to do some collecting that's fine.

The areas of interest to me are in Kingston,Rocky Hill and Griggstown. I do plan on doing some swamp crawling to look for an elusive crayfish species (Cambarus diogenes) at some point in the day(s) so getting dirty,wet and muddy is going to be almost guaranteed. I'll be doing a little bit of fishing not too much.

#2 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:21 PM

Probably hard to do if alone but try to take pictues of your catch and post.

Usil

#3 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:24 PM

I hope to get some decent pictures.

#4 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2011 - 03:34 PM

hey David, is the painted devil crayfish from your area?

#5 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2011 - 06:05 PM

I wish but no. There are Devil crayfish(Cambarus Diogenes) in NJ but I haven't found any yet, they are my holy grail of crayfish right now.

#6 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2011 - 04:47 PM

I know i am getting a little off topic here, but do you have any websites that are similar to this one for native crays and shrimps or any book recommendations? I have been re-reading the new peterson's field guide over and over again and would like to be come more familiar with the crayfish that give me nightmares LOL.. (they are soo cool, but when a 6" goes for your feet when you are barefooted (the one time I was barefooting!) it freaks you out! I would like to learn what is in my area for crays and will now be reading on my DNR's website on legality of keeping some smaller ones~

#7 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:21 PM

A forum called bluecrayfish.com is my favorite place when it comes to crayfish. There are some biologists who specialize in crayfish(including Dan Johnson from this forum)who are great at identifying crays plus the people are really friendly.

As for what crayfish you have in your state try this website. It's the one I use.

http://iz.carnegiemn...es_by_state.htm

You can also see pictures of jaw dropping crays like this

http://www.bluecrayf...php?f=40&t=2251

Those are untouched photos and fresh caught crays btw no special food.

Edited by davidjh2, 03 October 2011 - 09:22 PM.

#8 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:44 PM

thanks for those links, looks like I am on the look out for devil, prairie and golden crays now! I just want to see them in person (probably already have, just need to start looking again now that I know what they are called!)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users