Any good books specifically geared towards native aquaria?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_IvanMike_*

Guest_IvanMike_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2011 - 08:32 PM

I've been keeping tropicals for 20 years or so, most of them spent breeding neotropical cichlids - from big and nasty, to apistogramma. So, suffice it to say that I know my stuff.

That said, I haven't come across any books specific to native aquaria. I assume a few must exist. I'm not looking for a book on the basics (nitrogen cycle, blah blah blah), nor am I looking for a book on darters (we have two here in CT). More like the ins and outs of keeping various species and families, and issues specific to native aquaria, a good species list, and that sort of thing. The "heavy duty highbrow version". Anything like that exist?

#2 Guest_travishaas_*

Guest_travishaas_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:21 PM

The most heavy duty high brow version is, by most accounts, American Aquarium Fishes by Goldstein.

Others, which are not as heavy (both out of print but available cheaply as used copies):

Our Native Fishes by Quinn
North American Native Fishes for the Home Aquarium by Schleser.

All of the above are worthy additions to the native fish enthusiast's home library.

Travis

#3 Guest_countrybumpkin_*

Guest_countrybumpkin_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:31 AM

American Aquarium Fishes is my favorite.

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:58 PM

While not really 'aquarium books' I would highly recommend that you look into a 'Fishes of [insert your stat name here]' books. They normally have a lot of information on teh life history, habitat, etc. of the fishes they discuss.

I have most of them for the southern states (where I live)... but a quick look at a famous on bookseller showed me this...

http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/0942081080

I don't know the book so cant recommend it... but...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:11 PM

I know that the Massachusetts book by Karsten Hartel et al., published by Mass. Audubon, is an excellent book. I'm not familiar with the CT book.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users