Millstone Trip

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:01 PM

Well it was an interesting day I have to say that. First off the weather was not cooperating, it was 50 degrees when I got to the spot on the river I wanted to sample. So here I am in shorts, wading shoes and headed for the water and it's 50 darn degrees out lol.

The water looked as though it was high at first and I had to wade through somewhat cool knee deep water to get to the first area I wanted to start at.I saw pretty quick why the water seemed high. I was below one large damn and above a small one and a small breach in the channel between the 2 dams that had been there for a couple of years had blown wide open in all the flooding from Tropical Storm Irene. The 2nd dam had no water flow over due to all of the flow from the breach. That in turn messed up my plans since the slow moving little stream I had planned to sample had turned into a larger fast moving creek.

I did catch this little Largemouth Bass at the first spot though.

Posted Image

A little further up I caught this Orconnectes Limosus

Posted Image

Now I had hoped to catch a variety of crayfish today and it was really the reason I was out there. I only caught a few crays all Orconnectes Limosus, it just wasn't a good day for them.

I did catch this Tessellated Darter

Posted Image

and this fish that I'm fairly sure is a Gambusia of some type.

Posted Image

I would have preferred using my photo tank but it's a temporary home for 2 baby crayfish right now.

I also caught this Water Scorpion

Posted Image

And possibly my favorite find of the day a really cool looking catapillar.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now to get to the spot where I found the darter and catapillar I had had to walk through some pretty cold water, up to my waist.... exasperatus2002 if you remember our trip picture walking through the Little Lehigh River in 50 degree weather. Yeah it was a little bit uncomfortable.

I had fun and frankly even a day spent getting cold,wet,muddy and scratched up without catching anything really cool beats work any day. Now tomorrow I'm going with the wife for some bigger game hopefully.

Edited by davidjh2, 03 October 2011 - 10:45 PM.

#2 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:29 AM

50* water = frozen gibblets. Kinda like when we went from the warmer water of the little lehigh to that ice water flow of trout creek.

#3 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:56 AM

I wouldn't have minded the cold water as much but the air temp was only in the low to mid 50's as well. Trout creek was just plain frigid, luckily I didn't run into water that cold.

Edited by davidjh2, 04 October 2011 - 07:57 AM.

#4 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:27 PM

I love those pictures, I went out this morning (without a camera) and caught some really neat crays, one of which was very red with blue claws. Never seen that before!

#5 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:18 PM

I'd love to see some pictures of those. Bring a camera next time please

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users