75 gallon stream tank help

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_frogwhacker_*

Guest_frogwhacker_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:18 PM

That's a cool piece of driftwood. From the side view picture it looks like a large cow horn.
You've definitely got a lot more variety in your residential line up than what I've got in mine. I'll probably add some more come springtime though, but I'll be in the creek tomorrow so I may just see what I can find if I have time.

Very nice looking set up. Thanks for posting the pics. What direction will your water flow be in the tank?

Steve.

#22 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:54 PM

Well, if it were me, I would be hesitant to add the sunfish. And I would add a couple more bluehead chubs (I have ket two before with no problems). I have also had some problems with greensides... mostly just feeding them enough... so I might go with a different large darter, maybe a logperch.

Also, the stocking density seems a little high to me... not too bad, really... but seems like a lot of fish if you add them all at the same time.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#23 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:54 PM

Well, if it were me, I would be hesitant to add the sunfish. And I would add a couple more bluehead chubs (I have ket two before with no problems). I have also had some problems with greensides... mostly just feeding them enough... so I might go with a different large darter, maybe a logperch.

Also, the stocking density seems a little high to me... not too bad, really... but seems like a lot of fish if you add them all at the same time.

I'll be staggering the addition of fish. And do you really think the O-spots will be that bad? I could probably put them in my pond if they get too big, but if I don't have to I wouldn't want to.

#24 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:16 PM

You won't have any problems with orangespots, besides maybe never seeing them. They're quite a departure from their more boisterous relatives.

Todd

#25 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:45 PM

You won't have any problems with orangespots, besides maybe never seeing them. They're quite a departure from their more boisterous relatives.

Todd

Okay, thanks for your help. I believe you are the owner of that 100 gallon with the chub nest. So, when the fish colored up was the only change the chub nest? Also, would a pile of stones be sufficient? I would really like to try that and see my fish color up!

#26 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2011 - 07:27 PM

The "nest" was placed in a 75 gallon tank with many species that are known for borrowing space from chubs... The rocks themselves were large ornamental gravel from my neighbor's landscaping, with some pieces of chert that was already in the tank.

The real trick was that the pump was primed... I had control over the room's temp and there are windows that face east and west, so they got the full winter treatment (down to 45 degrees, the plants actually became senescent). But yeah with that in mind, within 20 minutes of putting in the rocks, the fish began to fire up. They were officially spawning 12 days later, and the only eggs that I saw were rainbow shiners, but there weren't that many females of the other species.

Give it a shot!

Todd

#27 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:15 PM

I definitely will! Also, what do you think of my stocking if I add it over time? Besides replacing the greensides with variegates or something similiar and possibly adding another bluehead, I'm planning on keeping it pretty much the same.

#28 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:53 PM

It's the second list, right? I saw some things about Iowa and least earlier, and as people said, they really only do well in less community-like systems (I highly encourage you to try them in a 10 gallon, they're very rewarding fish).

Johnny darter are tough to keep, as are greensides. There needs to be enough food left laying around for a couple hours for them to browse. So the system (and your pocket book) needs to be able to handle the consequent nutrient load and cost. I also never had good success with them until I started feeding premium mysis, such as the Piscene Energetics brand.

In your case, I would skip the bluehead and run down to your LOCAL creek and get yourself some hornyhead chubs (N. biguttatus) juveniles and rear them up. Here's some film of a pair in my 100 gallon (another different system than the one with all the Hydrophlox).

This pair is adult size, as you can see by the nuptial tubercles. They're much smaller, and this may be a species for others setting up these tanks to think about.

The logperch in this video are so crazy because they were wrapping up spawning.

At 1:50 you can see how I inverted a Rio 2100 and attached a spray bar (the green thing) to create all the flow (which is also how I ran flow in my 75 gal). I've screwed around with the Koralia's enough now... If I do this again, I'll be looking for the most efficient standard impeller pump I can get, and doing a spray bar this way again. Even tho the Koralia 4's are only 12 v, they have no pressure, and by the time you have 4 of them in there... Well, what's the point? I think there's 3 of you working on circulating tanks this size right now... I saw some chatter earlier this fall, but I was too busy to respond, I apologize.

If that's not clear enough {edit: how I inverted the pump], you can see it better in the video of the tank with all the spawning Hydrophlox. If that ain't clear, I'll try and round up a photo.

Todd

Edited by farmertodd, 27 November 2011 - 10:50 PM.

#29 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:46 PM

Agree that all Nocomis chubs are good choices and really agree that you should get out and collect your own! That is where you really learn about the fish... in the water!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#30 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2011 - 11:05 PM

What temperature do you keep the tank?

Usil

#31 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:52 PM

What temperature do you keep the tank?

Usil

I assume you are talking to Todd... but I think most of us are just keeping the tank at room temperature... obviously differnet in differnet parts of the country or at different times of the year... but basically room temp.

#32 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:49 PM

If you were talking to me, the tank ranged from 45-78 Fahrenheit, depending on the season. I had full control over the temp in that room, it was really ideal.

Todd

#33 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:45 PM

(I highly encourage you to try them in a 10 gallon, they're very rewarding fish).

I've got a few Iowas in a 20 long, and I agree, they are very interesting.

Johnny darter are tough to keep, as are greensides.

Really? I've got one right now and he's doing great!

In your case, I would skip the bluehead and run down to your LOCAL creek and get yourself some hornyhead chubs (N. biguttatus) juveniles and rear them up.

I actually do have one in a 40 breeder and he's about 6 inches or so. I definitely don't trust him with a darter, though. He has a HUGE mouth and I could easily see him eating a darter. How do you get it to work?

If that's not clear enough {edit: how I inverted the pump], you can see it better in the video of the tank with all the spawning Hydrophlox. If that ain't clear, I'll try and round up a photo.

I don't quite get how you did it. I would really appreciate either pictures or just a how-to.

#34 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:55 PM

I actually do have one in a 40 breeder and he's about 6 inches or so. I definitely don't trust him with a darter, though. He has a HUGE mouth and I could easily see him eating a darter. How do you get it to work?

Its not something you get to work it is just natural behaviour of the fish... Nocomis species chubs just do not eat fish, at least not when there are shrimp pellets and other things offered in the aquarium... they eat bugs and other things from the bottom of the creekbed in the wild... now dont trust Semotilus species, they have some huge mouths and eat their neighbors.

#35 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:03 PM

He has a HUGE mouth and I could easily see him eating a darter. How do you get it to work?

Lots of quality frozen food and healthy darters. That's not to say one doesn't get snatched from time to time.

I don't quite get how you did it. I would really appreciate either pictures or just a how-to.

I can't find the danged photos. Here's a really crappy composite, but you'll get the idea. You can also make a longer intake out of pvc that you drill up so there's absolutely no harsh suction.

Attached File  spraybar.jpg   256.93KB   1 downloads

There's a thousand ways to skin this cat, but I hope this gives you the idea. Circulation doesn't need to be elaborate to be really effective.

Todd

#36 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:02 PM

Okay, that makes more sense now, but what did you use for the spraybar?

#37 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:26 PM

It's just PVC in which I drilled outlet holes. If the pump has threaded fittings (which I'd advise you get), you can just screw it in. If not, you may have to put something together with flex hose or find the right slip fitting and prop it so that there's friction holding it together. But I'd advise looking for one with threaded fittings. If I ever set up again, I'll probably set up with a Mag 9 on a 75 and Mag 12 on a 125. Be interesting to use a Mag 12 on a 120 as well, you could make a really nice, wide riffle that way and disguise all the equipment.

Todd

#38 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:27 PM

Its not something you get to work it is just natural behaviour of the fish... Nocomis species chubs just do not eat fish, at least not when there are shrimp pellets and other things offered in the aquarium... they eat bugs and other things from the bottom of the creekbed in the wild... now dont trust Semotilus species, they have some huge mouths and eat their neighbors.

I may have a Creek Chub. Any good ways to tell the difference?

#39 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:59 PM

A creek chub will have a black blotch at the dorsal origin, the hornyhead chub will not.

http://www.dnr.state...99/Default.aspx

http://www.dnr.state...47/Default.aspx

Todd

#40 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:50 PM

Looks like I have a Creek Chub. That was a close one!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users