Hello, I'm New from Roanoke, VA

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_guyswartwout_*

Guest_guyswartwout_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:06 PM

Hi, I'm Guy Swartwout, and I really like fishes.

I discovered NANFA while searching for aquarium clubs. There are none in this area except a reefer's club which is not my thing.

I'm really sorry to have missed out on the annual convention in May, but we were moving, and fishes were not on my mind at the time.

I enjoy keeping fishes, but I'm not sure I want to keep natives right now. If I wind up with more time to develop advanced skills in husbandry and breeding, I might in the future. Nonetheless, poking my face in a stream, sharing knowledge, and observing other people's fishes sounds like time well spent to me.

We have good resources at Virginia Tech, in nearby Blacksburg. My oldest daughter, Meredith, is a sophomore there studying biology with an emphasis in herps and ecology. Next year she will be taking an Ichthyology course - I've already threatened to sign up with her. Here is a link to their awesome compilation of native fish information http://cnre.vt.edu/efish/.

We have a fish around here called the Roanoke Log perch, that I wouldn't have known about were it not for NANFA. I hope to have the privilege of observing one some day. The mission of this association really makes a lot of sense to me, and hopefully I will have the chance to meet some people with similar interests, to share the enthusiasm of being surrounded by these amazing finned animals.

#2 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:03 PM

Welcome to NANFA :)

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:08 PM

Welcome. There are a lot of resources here for you to learn about fishes and observe them... Love that snorkeling. Hope you enjoy and consider becoming a member.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2011 - 11:20 AM

Welcome fellow Virginian! Sorry you missed the convention yes, but there is always more opportunities for outings to collect and observe our local fish. I'm a few hours away in Fredericksburg but I would love to head back to SW VA in the spring to spend more time in the mountains seeing all the variety up there. Perhaps we can schedule a snorkeling trip.

#5 Guest_guyswartwout_*

Guest_guyswartwout_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:10 PM

Welcome. There are a lot of resources here for you to learn about fishes and observe them... Love that snorkeling. Hope you enjoy and consider becoming a member.

Thanks, I must be a member because my first issue of American Currents arrived last week.

#6 Guest_guyswartwout_*

Guest_guyswartwout_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:26 PM

Welcome fellow Virginian! Sorry you missed the convention yes, but there is always more opportunities for outings to collect and observe our local fish. I'm a few hours away in Fredericksburg but I would love to head back to SW VA in the spring to spend more time in the mountains seeing all the variety up there. Perhaps we can schedule a snorkeling trip.

That sounds great, keep me in mind. There is no shortage of streams around here, but I have yet to figure out what's growing where. There is no collecting in streams posted for trout during trout season, but a literal reading of the regs would indicate that these streams open up to collecting in June. There should be no problem getting into the water at any time that I know of, however.

Incidently, the trout fishing is a joke IMO. The state dumps the fish, and locals pull them out in no time flat (sometimes with nets at night its rumored).

I know where the sculpins are though, because they're sure distinctive to spot from above.

Cheers.

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:47 AM

Thanks, I must be a member because my first issue of American Currents arrived last week.

Fantastic... thanks for joining us!

Send a PM to Drew (our gloabal moderator) with your forum name and your real name (to confirm against the member list) and he can change your status here on the board so that is shows you as a member.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#8 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:34 PM

Welcome to NANFA. It's too bad you missed the convention, it was a great experience. You are in a great area for collecting and snorkeling.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users