First Collecting trip:Umstead Park

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_RisiganL_*

Guest_RisiganL_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:52 PM

Hey everyone! Earlier today I went out to Umstead to try my hand at collecting darters. I didn't have a dipnet, but I used a landing net most people use for fishing. It had pretty small holes that are just about 1/8". No luck with darters but I managed to catch some baby bluegill, green sunfish, and a few crayfish. I had been collecting for about an hour but I never got what I was looking for. Just before I left, the light hit the water in just the perfect way, showing me my first glimpse of darters! There were a few small ones resting on top of some of the larger rocks. Sadly,I could not try getting them because the freezing things attached to the ends of my legs called feet wouldn't work right. Freezing water and flip flops don't work very well, so I am going to buy some waders ASAP. I think its safe to say that I am now hooked on native fish!

#2 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:23 PM

Sounds like you had a fun time aside from the frozen legs thing lol. get booted waders with felt bottoms.

#3 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:56 PM

The cutoff low temperature for no waders is usually 14 deg. C, with full sun and low wind. I'm impressed you made it as long as you apparently did!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users