stocking 45 gallon tank central mass

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jeff5347_*

Guest_jeff5347_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:59 AM

Hi Everyone,
I just joined the sight about a week ago and have been reading up on native fish. I have had FW tropical fish since my teenage years and wanted to get into something that isnt as common. I know all about the nitrogen cycle and fish care but Native keeping is new to me. I was wondering what i would be able to put in a 45 gallon tank without the fish overgrowning the tank and also being kept together peacefully. Also i was on the Mass EPA site ( i think) and trying to see what the guidelines are for keeping fish in the central mass area, but i was not succcessful . So im wondering what will fit in a 45 and what i can take from a lake or pond. If you have any reading nfo or info in general i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks Jeff

#2 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

I guess the most helpful things we can do is post pictures of our tanks that are close in size to 45 gallons and contain native fish? Okay. Here is a picture of my 55 gallon Elassoma gilberti (gulf coast pygmy sunfish) tank: http://gallery.nanfa...er/008.JPG.html Photo taken December 8th.
Here is something more up to date. This was recorded January 23rd. Image quality is best at 1080p.
These Florida & Georgia fish would definitely fit in your 45 gallon tank.

Massachusetts has some nice species. From http://www.mass.gov/...ng_baitfish.htm , quote, ""Bait Fish" are defined as only the following species: American eel, banded killifish, bluntnose minnow, creek chubsucker, emerald shiner, fallfish, fathead minnow, golden shiner, mummichog, pumpkinseed, rainbow smelt (subject to restrictions; see below), spottail shiner, white sucker, and yellow perch." Pumpkinseeds are pretty fish, but I've never kept them so I don't know whether or not they fit in 45 gallons. Maybe another NANFA member can chime in with some personal experience.

It says on http://www.eregulati...-massachusetts/ that "More than 80 fish species inhabit the inland waters of the Commonwealth." so maybe you can find a complete guide somewhere that will list all your local tiny fish. There aren't any such online. Maybe your local library can get you a copy of Inland Fishes of Massachusetts by Karsten E. Hartel, David B. Halliwell and Alan E. Launer? It looks like it has a complete list of the freshwater fish of Massachusetts with color drawings. That would be nice for looking at your local species. It would probably list the maximum size of the fish, too. Anything above 4 inches in length is starting to get too large for a 45 gallon tank.

It looks like you'll need to first buy a fishing license before you do any collecting. From http://www.eregulati...g2011/licenses/ , "Special Licenses or Permits are necessary for possession or release of certain fish, baitfish, wildlife and for fur dealers, propagators, wildlife rehabilitators, taxidermists, and/or fur buyers. Apply to the DFW Boston office, Permit Section (617) 626-1575."

Also definitely pay attention to this list from http://www.eregulati...ishing-seasons/ , "POSSESSION OF: Sturgeon (all species), American Brook Lamprey, Atlantic (sea-run) Salmon7, Bridle Shiner, Burbot, Eastern Silvery Minnow, Lake Chub, Longnose Sucker, and Northern Redbelly Dace is illegal! If caught release immediately. This means remove hook or cut line and return fish to water immediately — do not pose for photographs, place on a stringer, hold in a net, or delay in any way the immediate return and release of the fish to the water!"

Edited by EricaWieser, 01 February 2012 - 11:40 AM.

#3 Guest_hornpout_*

Guest_hornpout_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:16 PM

I'd say a single pumpkinseed is about as much fish as you'll want in a typical 45 gallon tank, which measures 12" front to back, inside the glass. Erica says no fish over 4 inches (and I'm sure that there are good reasons), but I think an 8" pumpkinseed would still have room to turn around. There is a very wide range of opinions in this forum on how much fish is appropriate for a a given tank size. Erica says 4", but the next guy will tell you he keeps an alligator gar folded in half in a 40 gallon breeder. Don't listen to that guy, though. A single big punkie would be a squeeze, and you'd just have the one fish. A smaller breed of sunfish would be a better choice, but I'd really consider going with some minnows, darters, or other smaller fish. It's a matter of personal taste, but I prefer a social tank with multiple fish. How much fish is too much for your tank? It's a complicated issue with more factors than tank dimensions and fish length- what species and how many of each are in there, what genders the fish are, the water temperature, how much cover and how many hiding spots there are, if the water has current, the fish weight and shape and size (there is more to size than length), how frequently they are fed, and a host of others. This forum has a ton of information, and if you spend a hundred hours sifting through these threads, you'll find many of your answers. Good luck with your tank!

#4 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:40 AM

My advice for New England themed tanks (assuming you cannot afford a chiller) are as follows. (sadly mss has more limited choices as to what you can keep than NH lowering the list).

(I am unsure of the dimensions of a 45 so am suggesting for a 55)

SMALL MINNOW TANK: A number of blacknose and longnose dace, fathead minnows, spottail shiners, tesselated darters, and swamp darters.

LARGE MINNOW TANK: 4 or 5 big minnows. Golden shiners, common shiners, creek chubs, or fallfish of a larger size. Maybe a sucker. Note a full grown fallfish or white sucker may be a bit cramped in a tank of that size.

SUNFISH TANK: One, maybe two sunfish. maybe a couple others such as a perch, large shiner, sucker, or bullhead. Note some of these fish are large and grow fast.

DIFFICULT TANK: for banded killifish, mummichogs, sticklebacks, and other species annoyingly agressive for their small size.

#5 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:41 AM

DIFFICULT TANK: for banded killifish, mummichogs, sticklebacks, and other species annoyingly agressive for their small size.

There are sticklebacks in Massachusetts? I was researching them recently and they are seriously interesting. Have you seen this?

#6 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:46 PM

There are sticklebacks in Massachusetts? I was researching them recently and they are seriously interesting. Have you seen this?

I seen them in NH and I think Bumpylemon has pics of them in Mass. Most are brackish species found in salt marshes and tidal inlets.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users