First outing of the year

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gunner48_*

Guest_gunner48_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:40 PM

Got out today and hit a tributary of the Little Miami River, South West Ohio. Record heat and little snow this past winter has made the river very warm for this time of year. I just wore sneakers and shorts and could go twenty minutes before numbing my feet. The tributary was a bit high for good collecting, but rain is expected tomorrow so I thought this might be my best shot.I would have done better with some help but did catch Rainbow darters and one beautiful male Johnny Darter in full Breeding colors. Saw a lot of young darters in the shallows, but couldn't catch any. Not a great haul but it was a beautiful day and nobody else was on the river, except a pair of belted Kingfishers.

#2 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

Kind of the same story here on this side of the state. I got out for a while yesterday. Water temperature in the low 60's where I was finding greensides. It's warmed up fast. It's increased more than 10F in the last couple weeks.

Thanks for the report. It's always fun to get out and play.

Steve

#3 Guest_VicC_*

Guest_VicC_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:51 PM

What equipment did you use? You may want to try a 4 foot, or 8 foot seine by yourself. I wonder if you put 7 foot brails on an 8 foot seine?

See any Northern Studfish?

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:58 AM

Studfish become common in the LM upstream of Caesars creek, if you happen to be targeting them.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users