looking for a good collection record app.

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Auban_*

Guest_Auban_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:48 PM

hello!

im the kind of guy that can barely go by a roadside ditch without seeing if i can net something up. over the years i have collected thousands of fish, almost completely catch and immediate release. occasionally i take some specimens home so that i can identify them. i have managed to identify a few invasive species this way. i used to keep a journal of all the different types and locations, and i once set up a map of clay county in florida that had hundreds of tags on it. i have since lost the journal, but i would like to continue recording the locations and species of what i find.

my question is, does anyone know of a good program or app that would allow me to make pins or tags displaying the species and date of collection, pinned on the location of a map where i found them? i currently live in north carolina near fort bragg, and there are simply too many small creeks and ponds that vary too much in diversity for me to simply pin them to a physical area map.

going digital is probably my best bet. any thoughts? im sure there must be a program out there somwhere that would fit the bill, i just either havent found it yet or dont know how to do it.

thanks for any help!

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:13 PM

Look at about the 5th or so post in this thread...

http://forum.nanfa.o...k-to-the-swamp/

You can see a map I made with Google Maps... In addition to making the pins... you can attach text to the pins... for instance on the full version of the map (the one in the post is just a graphic) you can zoom in, and click on each of the points and it gives me the fish that were caught at those sites. It is pretty easy to use, but if you want to PM me I can give you the link to the actual map I made and you can see how it works.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:35 PM

Can you save that map, or does it go away when you close the internet browser?

Edited by EricaWieser, 24 March 2012 - 11:36 PM.

#4 Guest_Auban_*

Guest_Auban_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:57 PM

thanks!

i knew there was something right under my nose....
i just figured it out. this makes things a LOT easier.

the diversity is what keeps me going. im in north carolina now, but i when i was in florida i used to find all kinds of things. i particularly enjoyed finding invasive fish. i know that sounds bad, but it felt good knowing that i may have been the first person to report them to the local FWC. i would take a mystery fish home, ID it, and take it to a biologist at the university of florida. they would often examine its gut contents to determine what kind of impact it was likely to have on the native fish population. just a strange hobby of mine :)

anyway, thanks for the tip!

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:14 AM

Can you save that map, or does it go away when you close the internet browser?

If you have a Google account (and they are free) then yes, they save. I have a few that I use.... that one was created just for the Back to the Swamp trip (now only four days away!)... another one that maps out my favorite fishing (collecting) places here around my part of Georgia... and another extensive one that I am using to investigate the type localities of all the fishes that were originally described from places in the state of Georgia.

You can save a short note or a list of fish or a date or whatever with any place that you pin... I'm no expert but I think you can also save photos to the pins in some way.

Also you can make the maps totally private or only open to people that know the url or totally public. So that is nice for people that do not want to tell the whole world about their favorite fishing hole.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 Guest_Auban_*

Guest_Auban_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:24 AM

again, thank you!

this is EXACTLY what i was looking for.

#7 Guest_jetajockey_*

Guest_jetajockey_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:46 AM

I use google earth to pinpoint locations that I would like to visit or have visited. It's a must-have, since it allows you to 'scout' areas long before you get out there. If you are looking near paved roadways it even allows a street view in most places.

#8 Guest_Auban_*

Guest_Auban_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:10 PM

so, i have it on my computer, but is there anyway i can get my pinpoints onto my phone? its a droid phone, and i would love to be able to move my pinpoints to my phone. i often hike a few miles through the woods to get to a secluded creek or pond i saw on google earth, and my new phone already makes it a lot easier with its gps, but to be able to set waypoints would make things so much quicker. then i wouldnt need a map, compass, protractor, and a 1/50,000 scale map, plot course, etc etc. i could do map map reconnaissance on the fly...

maybe im dreaming too big lol.

#9 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

Download "My Tracks". You can have it automagically sync with your google account. I think it will do what you want it to do.

#10 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

I am not an expert here... but I think that if you export the map as a KML file you can then import it into another GPS program... maybe even into your phone... I have been thinking about trying the same thing with my wife's GPS... but havent really tried it yet.

#11 Guest_Auban_*

Guest_Auban_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:59 PM

hmm... i just realized that i can add stars to physical locations on the map app on my phone. it isnt quite as extensive as i would like, as i cant add notes to it like i can on the computer, but it at least gives me waypoints so that i can quickly plot routes.

ill look more into exporting/importing maps later. time for me to sleep. :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users