Fish collection methods?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CatWhat_*

Guest_CatWhat_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:45 PM

Here in Newfoundland, Canada we do not have a huge selection of native fish that would be well suited for most home aquariums. But I have taken an interest in collecting some of our rare Banded Killifish ( Fundulus diaphanus ). I was wondering what methods could be utilized to catch such a species? Also what other methods could be used to collect various types of native fish such as small trout and sticklebacks? Thank you for the help.
Fundulus diaphanus
Fundulus diaphanus

#2 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:48 PM

The lowly dipnet is a very versatile collecting tool. The trick is in the technique.

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:29 AM

Here in Newfoundland, Canada we do not have a huge selection of native fish that would be well suited for most home aquariums. But I have taken an interest in collecting some of our rare Banded Killifish ( Fundulus diaphanus ). I was wondering what methods could be utilized to catch such a species? Also what other methods could be used to collect various types of native fish such as small trout and sticklebacks? Thank you for the help.

First, check your local laws and make sure that you are collecting things in a responsible and legal manner. Trout are usually off limits (at least in the states) to take in any way except rod and reel... and it makes me nervous to hear someone say they are going to collect something that is 'rare' (not really sure of the status of that fish up there, but makes me stop and think at least).

After that, then I will say that for Fundulus in general I agree with Irate that a regular dip net can be very effective, and depending on the habitat, a seine can work quite well if you can get out beyond the cover (seineing through wire grass is no fun).
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_CatWhat_*

Guest_CatWhat_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:18 AM

Oh I'm not planning on keeping the Killifish, I guess I should have stated my purpose a bit better, sorry. There have been isolated populations of our Banded Killifish throughout the island, but I wanted to start exploring the ponds, streams etc.. in my area to see if I could find another population. I have used a dip net to collect Three Spined Sticklebacks in the past but never gave thought to the Killies. So do Killies inhabit the same areas as Sticklebacks? Not sure where to start looking when I get to the ponds.

#5 Guest_mmyers1976_*

Guest_mmyers1976_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:17 PM

I swear by my cast net, I'm able to catch all sorts of stuff, fresh or salt, with it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users