Pfiesteria Piscicida

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Auban_*

Guest_Auban_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

has anyone else ever had problems with this?

two weeks ago i went into the field to train up for the Expert Infantrymans Badge, and when i came back for the weekend i found that my UV sterilizer was no longer working and all my fish were getting nasty sores on them. by the end of the weekend, most of my fish had died. only when i fixed the problem with the UV sterilizer did i stop losing fish.

on top of the fish kills, the water caused a few small sores on my hand. during that weekend, both myself and my wife were extremely irritable and groggy...

i experienced the same thing a few years ago and was able to positively ID the culprit as Pfiesteria Piscicida. i managed to get a look at it under an american optics oil immersion microscope while it was in its most toxic form. i didnt have time to do that last weekend, so i just got the UV sterilizer working again and sent my daughter and my wife to stay with the inlaws until i came back from EIB test week.

well, i got my EIB and now im back. the fish that are left are very few, but seem healthy. no more caustic water, no more sores on my hands. no more grogginess either. im pretty sure it was Piscicida.

i had never experienced this problem untill i got stationed at fort bragg.

has anyone else had to deal with the "death bloom" before? and if so, did it ever return? what did you do to get rid of it?

i would really prefer not to completely sanitize my tank, but i will if i have too...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users