Fundulus olivaceus in Southern Illinois

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_chrissfishes_*

Guest_chrissfishes_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:54 PM

Hi,
I am looking for some Fundulus olivaceus: Black spotted Topminnow . I am from Central Illinois and heard they are found in the wild in Southern Illinois. I would like to know, is it legal to collect this species? If so, where can I find them? Does anyone know stream system names or anything? Are they found in Shawnee National Park? Thank you very much!
Chris

#2 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:09 PM

Chris,
They are abundant in Shawnee. All the water in the lower 7/8 of the state has them (just find a place to get in the water). As far as collecting them in Illinois....well you see it's like this...In Illinois you can only use minnows as bait and you must follow what Illinois defines as "minnow". Not all Cyprinidae are created equal! Then you have the VHS emergency order, which seems clear to me but if you call the state, the emergency order becomes ambiguous. It's probably better to jump across to either Kentucky or Missouri...wait, strike Missouri because I don't think you can collect fish in Missouri anymore. I'm not sure what to say about legally collecting them, other than, it's probably not a good idea to take them from Illinois. I believe you can have them from another state as long as that state is not on the "do not import list" from the emergency VHS order. Dang...that emergency order has been in place for a long while now.

#3 Guest_chrissfishes_*

Guest_chrissfishes_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:28 PM

Hi,
Thank you very much for the response! I get the Tropical Fish Hobbyist Magazine and the author wrote about collecting the Fundulus family in Missouri. He talked about his fish club goes on collecting trips in the state and talked about going to the Ozarks as well. Which got me curious and interested about these guys. So, I guess I will have to get them from another state. I was hoping I could get them in state, perferably in the Shawnee park. Why does Illinois have such strict dumb laws like this? I understand that they are afraid of species like Snakeheads and such but if a fish or animal is found in the wild in the state why is it so hard to have them? I don't get it. Thanks again!
Chris

#4 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:10 PM

Wow, an article in TFH about recent "minnow" collecting in MO? Unless they have some sort of scientific collecting permit, that's a pretty bold thing to say in public.

#5 Guest_chrissfishes_*

Guest_chrissfishes_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:39 PM

Yeah, I don't know. From the sounds of it, it sounds like it's legal in MO. There is also another article in the same magazine where the author went collecting for Fathers day in the Ozarks. I think it was last year.

#6 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:18 PM

Hi,
Thank you very much for the response! I get the Tropical Fish Hobbyist Magazine and the author wrote about collecting the Fundulus family in Missouri. He talked about his fish club goes on collecting trips in the state and talked about going to the Ozarks as well. Which got me curious and interested about these guys. So, I guess I will have to get them from another state. I was hoping I could get them in state, perferably in the Shawnee park. Why does Illinois have such strict dumb laws like this? I understand that they are afraid of species like Snakeheads and such but if a fish or animal is found in the wild in the state why is it so hard to have them? I don't get it. Thanks again!
Chris

I TFH article might have been written before the collection ban in Missouri or they might be unaware of the changes in the law.
I'm not exactly sure why the Illinois law is so odd but honestly, it's not strict compared to western states. I don't think you can even seine to look at the fish in many cases.
As far as really dumb stuff in Illinois....I don't have to remind you of our track record with Governors do I? :-k Sorry, I couldn't resist the cheap shot.

Edit: I should have said "lowest" 7/8 of the state and not "lower" in a previous post.

Edited by Uland, 01 May 2012 - 10:29 PM.

#7 Guest_chrissfishes_*

Guest_chrissfishes_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:09 AM

Yeah that is true. Wow that's crazy if it's true! Yeah, Illinois has had bad governors and Illinois is so far in financial issues.

#8 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:27 AM

I don't recall a collection ban in MO at least not if keeping them in MO. The ban is transporting them out of the state isn't it.

#9 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:10 AM

I don't recall a collection ban in MO at least not if keeping them in MO. The ban is transporting them out of the state isn't it.

Correct, they can not be removed from the state without a permit specific to that use.

Edited by centrarchid, 02 May 2012 - 10:11 AM.

#10 Guest_chrissfishes_*

Guest_chrissfishes_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:12 AM

oh ok! Thank you very much!

#11 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:51 PM

Yes, Mike is right about MO laws, I overreacted and thought that they'd gone the way of Tennessee with NO legal collecting.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users