Classroom Native Tank

23 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Fatman_*

Guest_Fatman_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:52 PM

With the 9 Sunfish and 6 Madtoms the tanks sounds full to me. The only thing I think I will add are a few Mystery Snails and Pond Snails. Also been thinking about starting with a few dozen Ghost Shrimp. If they get eaten then at least the fish will be well fed, but I'm hoping with enough cover they'll last a couple months and not hours.

#22 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:01 PM

The only thing I think I will add are a few Mystery Snails...

If the mystery you're referring to is solved by being identified as an apple snail, I wouldn't advise adding one to a planted tank. My apple snail thought my live aquarium plants were delicious. It was quickly rehomed. The physa fontinalis, ramshorn, and lynmaea snails I have leave the living plant tissue alone. They'll eat decaying parts.

#23 Guest_Fatman_*

Guest_Fatman_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:58 PM

I'll have to heck to make sure, but I believe the mystery snails are P. bridgesii which are less likely to eat healthy plant material than P. canaliculata. I currently have a few of them in a couple of my tropical planted tanks and a room temperature (as low as 60 in the winter) goldfish tank.

#24 Guest_Fatman_*

Guest_Fatman_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:10 AM

Almost forgot, been thinking of using Manzanita wood to scape the tank. With all the branches, I think it would be a more natural looking setup than Malaysian or Mopani.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users