My first native tank

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Abrams96_*

Guest_Abrams96_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:13 PM

This is my first attempt at a native set up. I have kept tropicals for many years and the odd minnow I'd bring home as a kid, but never a native theme. It's a 55 gallon with kitty litter. Other than that i've collected the rest near my house. Currently I have a pair of Creek Chubs, a mimic shine and 7 other small species I haven't ID'd yet. Let me know what you think. I'll post some other pictures if requested. Thanks for viewing

Attached Files

#2 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:43 PM

Nice setup. See if you can attach pictures of your fish. Plenty here who may be able to identify them.

Usil

#3 Guest_Abrams96_*

Guest_Abrams96_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:46 PM

Yes, I will try to get some a shots of them without being to blurry

#4 Guest_NCNativeFish_*

Guest_NCNativeFish_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:01 AM

Beautiful setup! Those are some awesome driftwood pieces.

#5 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:13 PM

love the driftwood. Is the top piece floating, or do you have it suspended from the top brace?

#6 Guest_Abrams96_*

Guest_Abrams96_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:57 PM

Thank you, the top piece is floating. It was washed up on the shore of lake Ontario in the early spring. I liked the shape of it and actually preferred it to float. Quick question. I'm on this forum with my cell phone and just clicked on "use mobile version" which won't allow me to upload pictures and I can't figure out how to get back to the normal version? Any ideas?

#7 Guest_Abrams96_*

Guest_Abrams96_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

Figured it out. Here are some more shots.
1 spottail shiner? Looks like my Chubs but way smaller minus the dorsal spot.
2 color morph spottail shiner??
3 mimic shiner on the bottom
4 my pair of Chubs.
5 added hornwort

Attached Files

#8 Guest_Abrams96_*

Guest_Abrams96_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:17 PM

Hornwort

Attached Files

#9 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:14 PM

The fish in the 1st picture is probably a Creek Chub (juveniles don't have the dorsal spot until they reach approx. 5cm). In the 2nd picture, the dark minnow looks like its either a Mimic, Ghost, or Sand Shiner, the yellowy one looks like a Creek Chub as well. The fish in focus in the 3rd looks like another Creek Chub. The fish in the bottom pic definitely look like Creek Chubs

#10 Guest_Abrams96_*

Guest_Abrams96_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

That's what I was thinking. Just the size threw me off because the smaller ones really haven't grown a much where the bigger ones seem to have grown a lot in the same time frame. And the one i'm leaning towards mimic because it has some darker pigment around the anal fin. Thanks for clarifying

#11 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:13 PM

Nice tank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users