Bluegill on the beds in my pond

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:43 PM

My family owns a 1 acre farm pond and because of the full moon the bluegill spawned recently. I stuck a GoPro camera in the water and watched the males guard the nests. Here are a couple videos. Enjoy.

Males guarding the beds with some largemouth bass lurking nearby occasionally

One of the males didn't like the camera being so close

I'm going to try to get some better angles and perhaps clearer video sometime this week.

#2 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:43 PM

Forgot to mention I managed to catch a video of a school of young largemouth bass too.

#3 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:48 AM

Amazing what you can see by just dropping a camera into the water. I really like the ones done by snorkelers.

Usil

Edited by Usil, 08 May 2012 - 12:49 AM.

#4 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:58 AM

Looks to be coppernose bluegill. Camera I guess is almost in nest of closest male.

#5 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:23 PM

Those are indeed coppernose bluegill. I set the camera right on the edge of the nest. I wish I could've caught them actually spawning, that would be cool, but I still think this was pretty cool.

#6 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:46 AM

I have videos of several sunfish species spawning. Problem I have is that images not close enough to see what I want to see clearly. You are a little better in getting camera up close but it needs to be pitched down to see into nest. For me, the "holy grail" is seeing eggs extruded and falling gently into nest. You can see them with your eyes but cameras I have do not have the closeup ability.

#7 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:51 AM

Try filming it again. One of my students will be doing same this summer with hand-paint bluegill in a tank. We have the clearest of clear water but lighting is our weakness. Maybe if our lighting is enhanced we will be able to post a video like yours for comparison. This I will say, some coppernose populations and hand-paint bluegill do things differently than northern bluegill when it comes nesting activities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users