legal in GA?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 06:32 PM

Does anyone know which NON-GAME fish are legal or illegal in GA and what ways are legal for collecting?

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 08:01 PM

I don't know precisely, but you should be able to find protected species here: Georgia Wildlife Regulations

#3 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 08:16 PM

http://forum.nanfa.o...?showtopic=1112

#4 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 11:46 PM

Thanks yall, you answered my question.

#5 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 11:58 PM

Wait, I got one more question. Is it legal to buy native GA fish?

#6 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2007 - 06:41 AM

Do you mean is it legal to buy fish taken from another state that are also native to GA? If so, then yes. If you are asking if there is a permit which allows sale of fish caught in GA, I don't know for sure.

#7 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:53 AM

I am just going to guess on this. I am going to assume you can buy fish from Georgia but I am going to also assume the one you buy them from must have a permit to operate such a sale of fish. The Guy at KSI aquatics could fill you in. He sells native fish. I am not sure if he catches any in Georgia but you can ask him. Dustin is the name, selling fish is his game. He is a real nice guy and I am sure he would share any info you might ask.

#8 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:01 PM

Does anyone know if its legal to trade GA native fish? I emailed the DNR and they didnt reply, so im askin here.

#9 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2007 - 06:55 AM

Does anyone know if its legal to trade GA native fish? I emailed the DNR and they didnt reply, so im askin here.

I do not know if it is legal but a lot of people on here do it. I have made many shipments. Sometimes ignorance is better left being bliss is what I say. But to give you a straight up answer I do not know if it is legal. But I am waiting on return shipments in trade of the fish I sent up if that makes you feel any better.

#10 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2007 - 10:28 AM

It's always a good idea to review your state law but I feel comfortable explaining a recent exchange I made. I contacted a forum member because they had indicated they had a particular fish in abundance that I was looking for. They were quite happy to send the fish, I just had to pay shipping. I offered fish to them simply because I appreciated the fish they were about to send. It happened that I had fish they wanted as well. No conditions were placed on the transaction and no value was actually "traded". As long as the fishes are not endangered/threatened or injurious and the fish is legal to posses in your state you should feel comfortable with these exchanges. It's important that conditions like "I'll send you xx if you send me xx" aren't placed on the exchange.

It's probably not a good idea to use the word "trade" in describing the activities fishlvr unless you actually put conditions on the exchange. The state might tell you this is illegal unless you describe in detail the exchange since trade might sound like bartering of native fishes (which isn't legal in most states). Technically it's not trading since no value is being exchanged.

#11 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2007 - 01:10 PM

What about game fish that are caught on a line? Are they legal to keep in an aquarium? I'm kind of new at this native fish keeping, although I've keeped and bred mosquito fish all my life. But this is a lot different from mosquito fish, so I have lots of questions.

#12 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2007 - 01:33 PM

What about game fish that are caught on a line? Are they legal to keep in an aquarium? I'm kind of new at this native fish keeping, although I've keeped and bred mosquito fish all my life. But this is a lot different from mosquito fish, so I have lots of questions.

Please take the time to read your state regulations first. Most of your questions will be answered. http://forum.nanfa.o...p?showtopic=198

If you have further questions after you've read the regulations please post the rule (or wording) in question and we'll try to help.

#13 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2007 - 12:56 PM

You may keep game fish that are caught using legal methods (like hook-and-line). but you can only keep your daily limit in your possession, whether at home on on a stringer. This means that if you have 2 bass in an aquarium, you can only catch 8 additional bass. Fish must also meet the regulated size limit (e.g. 8" minimum bass in most places in GA)

#14 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2007 - 05:57 PM

What kind of fish are you interested in keeping,trading, etc etc. Are you wanting fish for your self or are you wanting to know if you can ship fish to someone??

#15 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2007 - 06:01 PM

From a thread on dip netting fish in georgia which is legal for non game species you can read all the info you need to make it simple for you. I took this directly from the online regulation posted on the Georgia fisheries department. go here to this link http://forum.nanfa.o...?showtopic=1100

#16 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2007 - 06:03 PM

You may keep game fish that are caught using legal methods (like hook-and-line). but you can only keep your daily limit in your possession, whether at home or on a stringer. This means that if you have 2 bass in an aquarium, you can only catch 8 additional bass. Fish must also meet the regulated size limit (e.g. 8" minimum bass in most places in GA)

That's not how I interpret the Georgia fishing regulations:
"It is unlawful to take in one day or to possess at any one time, except at a residence or commercial storage facility, more than the daily creel limit for each species."

Notice that part about "except at a residence"? Fish taken home don't count toward your daily limit. They only counted toward it on the day when you fished them out, and they were not yet at your home.

#17 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2007 - 06:14 PM

On this link http://forum.nanfa.o...?showtopic=1100 you will find all the info you want and need pertaining to Georgia Law on native fish catching and keeping. It has a list taken directly from the online Georgia Fisheries site. Non game fish 5 inches and under may be taken with dipnet and seine except in trout streams.

Made it even easier. Here are Georgia game fish.

Best link I have found so far. If you dig you will find a link that tells you what Georgia deems a gamefish.

http://georgiawildli...p?TopCategory=3

the most heart breaking link below
http://georgiawildli...n...7&txtPage=4

http://georgiawildli...n...&txtPage=13

this one above will save you the trouble of digging. It names what they deem game fish.

This below will save you even more digging time.

game fish of georgia.

Bass.....10
Largemouth, Redeye (Coosa), Shoal, Smallmouth, Spotted, and/or Suwanee bass
Bream (see exception).....50
Flier, Spotted sunfish (stumpknockers), Rockbass (goggleye), Shadow bass, Redbreast, Redear, Bluegill, and/or Warmouth
Catfish.....No Limit
Channel and/or Flathead
Crappie.....30
Black and/or White
Pickerel.....15
Chain, Grass and/or Redfin
Sauger.....8
Shad.....8
American and/or Hickory
Striped bass, White bass and/or Hybrid striped-white bass (see note & exceptions).....15 (only two can be 22 inches or longer)
Trout (see exception).....8
Brook, Rainbow, and/or Brown trout
Walleye (see exception).....8

#18 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2007 - 06:15 PM

I guess I don't remember seeing the "except at a residence" part. I assume the original intent was to let you have them in the freezer!

#19 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2007 - 06:47 PM

I guess I don't remember seeing the "except at a residence" part. I assume the original intent was to let you have them in the freezer!

I am assuming you are reading within one of the links up there. Generally you can posses more than a days limit in the field. Not in the boat but in a cooler or camper etc etc. About keeping them at home I do not see why keeping them in a freezer dead or keeping them in a tank alive is any different. So with that respect I would assume you could go out every day and bring home your limit. At least that is the way it is in most states. You can bring home that many fish a day, every day. But that is not very practical for the native fish hobbiest but that is the law. I was reading in there also that nongame fish under five inches may be harvested without limit. I found that one strange but I won't argue with it. Of course that is impractical also but good to know if you want to share. I do not think that you will find any info about trading, shipping, swapping what ever you want to call it in the fishing regulations. That would fall under a catagory that I do not know what it falls under LOL
Personally I do not worry about such things. But to him who does and if you find out I would be interested in the law. I know the post office has guidelines on how to pack live fish for shipping so for that reason I know it is legal to ship fish to other states.

#20 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:49 AM

I am assuming you are reading within one of the links up there. Generally you can posses more than a days limit in the field. Not in the boat but in a cooler or camper etc etc. About keeping them at home I do not see why keeping them in a freezer dead or keeping them in a tank alive is any different. So with that respect I would assume you could go out every day and bring home your limit. At least that is the way it is in most states. You can bring home that many fish a day, every day. But that is not very practical for the native fish hobbiest but that is the law. I was reading in there also that nongame fish under five inches may be harvested without limit. I found that one strange but I won't argue with it. Of course that is impractical also but good to know if you want to share. I do not think that you will find any info about trading, shipping, swapping what ever you want to call it in the fishing regulations. That would fall under a catagory that I do not know what it falls under LOL
Personally I do not worry about such things. But to him who does and if you find out I would be interested in the law. I know the post office has guidelines on how to pack live fish for shipping so for that reason I know it is legal to ship fish to other states.

I don't remember why I have been operating the way I have been (countig the fish at home), but perhaps I can find the reference again. (If I'm wrong, of course, there won't be a reference to find...). I don't usually get my info from the links, but from the printed GA regulations that you pick up every year when you buy your license. I find that the printed version is a lot easier to read through and find all the little rules that might apply to this hobby. When the state splits the regulations up into separate links, I find it too easy to miss something. Thankfully, I've found that the states near me put up PDF versions of the regulations so they can be printed out as a whole.

While you might be able to possess more than a days limit in the field if camping, I would worry about the game warden and whether it looks like I may have caught them all in one day. Sometimes wardens will even catch people that they've watched take a cooler to the car and then come back and take some more... dishonesty that I've never understood.

I think (someone correct me here) that in most states non-game, non-protected species can be collected without limit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users