legal in GA?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:44 AM

I think (someone correct me here) that in most states non-game, non-protected species can be collected without limit.

You're probably right that most states have no limits but in Indiana (for instance) all non game fish apply towards your bait limit which is in the hundreds per day.

I am assuming you are reading within one of the links up there. Generally you can posses more than a days limit in the field. Not in the boat but in a cooler or camper etc etc. About keeping them at home I do not see why keeping them in a freezer dead or keeping them in a tank alive is any different. So with that respect I would assume you could go out every day and bring home your limit. At least that is the way it is in most states. You can bring home that many fish a day, every day.

Again you're probably right that most states have no possession limit but In Illinois and Indiana we have a daily limit (the number of fish you can take per day) and a total possession limit (the number of fish you can possess at any given time). The possession limit in the two states is double the daily limit. This law is designed to make sure you only have a double daily limit in your freezer. If you have room for a dozen adult largemouth/Smallmouth/Spotted bass in your aquariums at home.....I need to see your tanks :razz:

#22 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:35 PM

I don't remember why I have been operating the way I have been (countig the fish at home), but perhaps I can find the reference again. (If I'm wrong, of course, there won't be a reference to find...). I don't usually get my info from the links, but from the printed GA regulations that you pick up every year when you buy your license. I find that the printed version is a lot easier to read through and find all the little rules that might apply to this hobby. When the state splits the regulations up into separate links, I find it too easy to miss something. Thankfully, I've found that the states near me put up PDF versions of the regulations so they can be printed out as a whole.

While you might be able to possess more than a days limit in the field if camping, I would worry about the game warden and whether it looks like I may have caught them all in one day. Sometimes wardens will even catch people that they've watched take a cooler to the car and then come back and take some more... dishonesty that I've never understood.

I think (someone correct me here) that in most states non-game, non-protected species can be collected without limit.

I may have to stand corrected on what I said about the creel or limit you could keep in the field for Georgia. I just read the Tennessee regs and it says the possesion limit in the field is twice the daily creel limit. I do not see that in the Georgia regs. I have read this in other states I have fished in also. It seems Georgia may not have that rule or lets say luxuray of keeping two days worth while camping. At first glance in the daily limits it sure seems pretty direct in its rule. Says once you have caught your limit it is actually unlawful to continue fishing. My memory is short but I think it said that. I know it seemed fairly strict.

#23 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:48 PM

You're probably right that most states have no limits but in Indiana (for instance) all non game fish apply towards your bait limit which is in the hundreds per day.
Again you're probably right that most states have no possession limit but In Illinois and Indiana we have a daily limit (the number of fish you can take per day) and a total possession limit (the number of fish you can possess at any given time). The possession limit in the two states is double the daily limit. This law is designed to make sure you only have a double daily limit in your freezer. If you have room for a dozen adult largemouth/Smallmouth/Spotted bass in your aquariums at home.....I need to see your tanks :razz:

I do believe the possesion limit is what you have in the field. The law clearly states you can catch X amount of fish "per day". If I go fishing every day and return home every day I am fairly certain you can have seven times the daily limit of fish at home in your freezer. Of course state to state it could be different and I could just be assuming this but I think is says "possesion in the field". I believe twice the daily "creel limit" is designed for campers. I may be wrong but why would it say the "daily" limit. But to answer this person that started this thread I did see in the index for Georgia fishing regs a page for the "sale of fish". I did not read it but it is in there.

#24 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:28 PM

I do not think I have been wrong so many times in one day than today. I reread the Tennessee regs on possesion and limits etc etc. It did say you cound not have more than the days limit in the field and possesion limit is twice the daily limit. But you cannot have more than a days limit in the field. I still thought that was kind of gray for some reason. So guess what?? I called them. You can have two days limit in your freezer at home. If you eat that two day limit at the end of the second day you can go out another two days and have two days limit in your freezer at home. I have never heard of such a thing. And I have never heard of any warden going to some ones house to check their freezer. But that is what they told me. You can only posses in your home freezer at any point in time the two day limit. Argggggggg

#25 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:49 PM

I don't know about most states, but in Pennsylvania, non-game fish are considered to be baitfish. You can have no more than fifty baitfish in your possession in the field per person at any given time. Each person in the party must have his own bucket, with no more than fifty in each bucket. You cannot have a hundred in a bucket and say "half are mine and half are his".

#26 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:08 PM

I don't want to pile on too hard here. but I have to add my voice to this regarding Georgia. I think you are wrong on this one. In Georgia, as in many other states, there are only two types of fish... game fish and bait... game fish have limits, and ususally so does bait... particularly if you are collecting your own bait. Having too much bait makes someone think that you are going to sell bait... an activity for which a seperate liscence is required.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#27 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2007 - 12:06 AM

I think you are correct because Ohio too has a limit on bait fish. These baitfish limits are usually rather high, I think ours is 150 or 200 something like that but I don't know exactly. I am very picky at what I keep and don't usually keep much so I never even come close to it but there is a limit.

#28 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:02 AM

I don't want to pile on too hard here. but I have to add my voice to this regarding Georgia. I think you are wrong on this one. In Georgia, as in many other states, there are only two types of fish... game fish and bait... game fish have limits, and ususally so does bait... particularly if you are collecting your own bait. Having too much bait makes someone think that you are going to sell bait... an activity for which a seperate liscence is required.

You're probably right. I guess I don't think about the baitfish limit because I don't collect enough to even remotely come close to it. Hence, my personal limit is WAY below any regulated limit...

#29 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2007 - 06:00 PM

Unfortunatly I get confused to easy these days. I may have read that in the Tennessee regs. I know I read it some where. But then again I thought you could go out every day and bring home your limit every day also. No problem. I have no need for a hundred darters anyway. =D>

#30 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2007 - 10:32 PM

Here is where i read the no limit thing. It was/is in the Tennessee regs.

Attached Files

• Attached File  Crop.jpg   89.81KB   0 downloads

#31 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:36 AM

No comment ???????????????/

#32 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:36 AM

No comment Michael Wolfe. ???????????????

#33 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 03 March 2007 - 10:23 AM

No need for me (from Georgia) to comment much when you post the regulation (from Tenn.). But since you asked...

Rules are different from state to state. Looks like you have the regs in Tenn. I re-read the regulations from Georgia today (at least the on-line version) and it looksl ike nativeplanter might be right regarding no limit on baitfish under 5 inches in Georgia. It also clearly states that these fish cannot be sold or used for any commercial purpose. However, there is a seperate (not posted on the internet) regulation for commercial fishing, so I am not sure how they would make a determination of your status.

In any even, it seems that the Georgia laws seem to break down as...
You have to have a fishing license and then...
Anything not a game fish is a bait fish (unless specifically called out)...
You can take baitfish with a 20 ft ling 3/8" mesh seine...
You cannot sell them...

If you want to do anything else, you have to have a different kind of license.

No comment Michael Wolfe. ???????????????

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#34 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2007 - 06:19 PM

No need for me (from Georgia) to comment much when you post the regulation (from Tenn.). But since you asked...

Rules are different from state to state. Looks like you have the regs in Tenn. I re-read the regulations from Georgia today (at least the on-line version) and it looksl ike nativeplanter might be right regarding no limit on baitfish under 5 inches in Georgia. It also clearly states that these fish cannot be sold or used for any commercial purpose. However, there is a seperate (not posted on the internet) regulation for commercial fishing, so I am not sure how they would make a determination of your status.

In any even, it seems that the Georgia laws seem to break down as...
You have to have a fishing license and then...
Anything not a game fish is a bait fish (unless specifically called out)...
You can take baitfish with a 20 ft ling 3/8" mesh seine...
You cannot sell them...

If you want to do anything else, you have to have a different kind of license.

"Looks like you have the regs in Tenn"

That is what I wrote right on top of the post. But Georgia or not. I get liscensces from both states. I am interested in what is legal in Georgia as well as tennessee. So anything you can share with me is much appreciated.

Daniel

#35 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 03 March 2007 - 08:19 PM

Yeah, I got that, I didn't mean anything other than the fact that you already had the Tenn. stuff well in hand. And I hope I helped you with the Georgia, so you should be square between the two states.

"Looks like you have the regs in Tenn"

That is what I wrote right on top of the post. But Georgia or not. I get liscensces from both states. I am interested in what is legal in Georgia as well as tennessee. So anything you can share with me is much appreciated.

Daniel

#36 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2007 - 06:48 AM

Yeah, I got that, I didn't mean anything other than the fact that you already had the Tenn. stuff well in hand. And I hope I helped you with the Georgia, so you should be square between the two states.

Trying to find what is a Trout Stream and what is not in Georgia is trying to find a needle in a hay stack. I was on some private property and the owners were there cleaning up. It is an old mill "Praters Mill". You may be familiar with it. In Varnell. Well the Cohaluah if I spelled it right above the dam at Praters Mill I was in doubt if it was a trout stream or not. A older gentelman was there and he said it was. I looked at the stream and it was sluggish, silty, and very slow moving. I just could not see that as being a trout stream. So not knowing and not being able to put my finger on it online I called them. The person that I was speaking to seemed too much in the gray area for me. She told me it was not a trout stream so I proceded to dip net in there. But I felt I was taking a chance still. Do you know of this stream and do you know if it is a trout stream. I want to collect some blackspotted/striped top minnows for a fellow forum member. I have caught them there before and they are plentiful in the summer there. But I also do not want a warden ploping me with a big fat fine either. So if you could find that for me that would be great. :roll:

#37 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2007 - 02:11 PM

NativeC,
This should help. the GA DNR has links on this page to PDFs of all the trout streams in GA.
http://georgiawildli...TopCategory=193

Also, if you DO trout fish at all, North Georgia Trout Online is a great resource: http://www.ngto.org

#38 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:49 AM

NativeC,
This should help. the GA DNR has links on this page to PDFs of all the trout streams in GA.
http://georgiawildli...TopCategory=193

Also, if you DO trout fish at all, North Georgia Trout Online is a great resource: http://www.ngto.org

Thanks for the info nativeplanter. And I still wait for the info on a planted tank comming to me from you :roll: And I used to Trout fish around here but I got tired of eating Trout that taste like purina trout chow. I moved down from Canada and I caught "real" trout up there. Very tasty. I know the ones here are real to but raised in a trough and they taste terrible.

#39 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:33 AM

" Well the Cohaluah if I spelled it right above the dam at Praters Mill I was in doubt if it was a trout stream or not. A older gentelman was there and he said it was. I looked at the stream and it was sluggish, silty, and very slow moving. "

If anyone is interested I finally found it. Trout streams by county is where you find this info. and the Cohalluah (? spelling ) is a trout stream but only above Beverdale Cohutta road. At praters mill one of my favorite spots to dipnet it is not a trout stream.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users