Central NC trip May-June 2012

36 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

I'm trying to pick a good day for a NANFA / Raleigh Aquar Soc joint seining trip in the Durham to Greensboro area (Neuse, Cape Fear, and Dan/Roanoke basins). Some possible dates for consideration are: May 26 or 27, June 23 or 24. Let me know if you're interested and what dates are good or not good. I have a scientific/educational permit that will cover us, so you wont need a personal fishing license.

#2 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:39 PM

I'm always happy to come along with enough notice. Either of the days in June would be good. If it ends up being on 5/27 I might be able to make it.

Edited by Kanus, 11 May 2012 - 11:41 PM.

#3 Guest_ZeeZ_*

Guest_ZeeZ_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:20 AM

I can't on June 24th. I've had an event planned that day for months. Any of the other dates would work.

#4 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:45 PM

Looks like May 26-27 is the preferred weekend for more people. Let's plan on Sunday May 27th, but if weather looks better on Sat we can switch it to May 26 if needed. Erica will those days work for you?

#5 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:52 PM

Looks like May 26-27 is the preferred weekend for more people. Let's plan on Sunday May 27th, but if weather looks better on Sat we can switch it to May 26 if needed. Erica will those days work for you?

Sure, I'm free Sunday May 27th. I might even bring some friends. No promises, but maybe.

Edited by EricaWieser, 12 May 2012 - 12:52 PM.

#6 Guest_ZeeZ_*

Guest_ZeeZ_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:12 PM

Are there any kind of equipment I should bring? I don't have a net. A cooler, what?

#7 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:33 PM

I'll be there if I can. I'll be in touch if it's looking good :)

#8 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:13 AM

Gerald, I'll check with my wife to see what our plans are that weekend.

Harry

#9 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:47 AM

I will bring a few extra seines and dipnets for those who dont have nets, and a fish photo tank.
Bring a cooler and battery-op airpump if you want to take fish home.
Sturdy shoes for wading, not open sandals - there can be glass, sharp metal, etc in creeks.
Haven't decided yet whether to start near Durham and proceed west, or vice versa. Preferences or ideas?

#10 Guest_ZeeZ_*

Guest_ZeeZ_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:38 PM

I don't have a battery-op airpump. Any chance I could borrow one?

#11 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:22 PM

If you're not keeping too many fish, like ten or so 2 to 3 inch minnows in a 14 x 9" cooler, you can probably do OK without an air pump. A drink bottle filled with cold water will help if it's hot that day. Battery air pumps are cheap: about $8 at Gander Mountain, Dicks, Walmart, etc. I got mine at the Greensboro Gander Mountain store, I-40 exit 213 i think.

#12 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:40 PM

I don't have a battery-op airpump. Any chance I could borrow one?

That is personal equipment. Don't expect someone to throw a pump at you, and say "take it home" The fact that they are sharing their nets, and knowledge is plenty.

#13 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:52 PM

Gerald,

It looks like I'm a go for that Sunday.

Are you going to post a meeting time and place?

Harry Knaub

#14 Guest_ZeeZ_*

Guest_ZeeZ_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:48 AM

If you're not keeping too many fish, like ten or so 2 to 3 inch minnows in a 14 x 9" cooler, you can probably do OK without an air pump. A drink bottle filled with cold water will help if it's hot that day. Battery air pumps are cheap: about $8 at Gander Mountain, Dicks, Walmart, etc. I got mine at the Greensboro Gander Mountain store, I-40 exit 213 i think.

I didn't know they were that cheap, I was thinking they were more along the lines of $25 since that's the price of one I saw at a LFS here. Thanks for the tip!

Skipjack, I'm new to all of this. I don't know how much standard equipment costs, and I'm a college student, so I'm on a budget. Heck, the majority of my filters in my tanks are sponge filters! I'm sorry if I came across as greedy. It wasn't intended to be.

#15 Guest_ZeeZ_*

Guest_ZeeZ_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:45 AM

So far it's not looking like I'm going to be able to make it as I haven't been able to find a ride and both of my vehicles are out of commission at the moment.

#16 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:30 PM

To make things easier on folks coming from SC and Charlotte, we will start at the westernmost site, (south of Greensboro, exact site to be announced soon) at 11:00. We should get redlip shiners (hopefully we'll see them on bluehead chub nest), margined madtom, speckled killie, piedmont darter, and a bunch of other neat fish. Then we'll head north and east to other sites in the Cape Fear, Dan, and Neuse River basins.

#17 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

First collecting site will be Sandy Creek at Low Bridge Rd (SR-2481) in northeast Randolph County, 4 miles north of Ramseur. Page 38 in the NC Atlas & Gazeteer. Species reported here by NC-DENR include: Ameiurus brunneus, A.platycephalus, Aphredoderus sayanus, Clinostomus funduloides, Cyprinella analostana, Erimyzon oblongus, Etheostoma olmstedi, Fundulus rathbuni, Gambusia holbrooki, Lepomis auritus, Lepomis cyanellus, Lepomis gibbosus, Lepomis gulosus, Lepomis macrochirus, Micropterus salmoides, Moxostoma collapsum, Nocomis leptocephalus, Notropis altipinnis, Notropis chiliticus, Notropis scepticus, Noturus insignis, Percina crassa, Scartomyzon sp. brassy, Semotilus atromaculatus.

Anybody coming from Raleigh-Durham area or farther east or north, we can meet in Durham at 9:30 and carpool from there. My 10-yr old son will be with me. PM me if you want my cell # to rendezvous here or at a later site.

#18 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:53 PM

Wow...
That is where my ancestors were from. Yancey and Nancy.
Yall have fun!

Pretty good NC BBQ close by... Blue Mist BBQ.

Edited by Casper, 23 May 2012 - 08:55 PM.

#19 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:11 PM

Is anybody coming from Winston-Salem or driving through Winston-Salem? We could talk carpooling.

Edited by EricaWieser, 23 May 2012 - 09:11 PM.

#20 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:01 PM

Here's a rough approximation of our May 27 itinerary:

1100 - 1200 Sandy Creek, Randolph Co
1230 - 130 Alamance Creek, Guilford Co
200 - 300 Reedy Fork or Stony Creek, Guilford/Alamance
330- 430 Hyco Creek, Caswell Co
500 - 600 Eno River, Orange/Durham

Hyco Creek and Eno River are easy-access and easy wading, so anyone with limited time, young kids, or mobility issues may want to meet us later in the day at those sites. Some of the earlier sites may require a little bushwhacking and bank-climbing (with possible briers & poison ivy).

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users