Central NC trip May-June 2012

36 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:16 PM

Going to be seeing any Warpaint Shiners? I would love to have a few extra. :) :)

#22 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

Erica - Sounds like ZeeZ may need a ride if his car is not yet fixed.
Josh - Nope, warpaint shiners are another 2 hrs west of Greensboro.

Here's Lat/Lon of our first site if anybody needs for GPS:
38.7853, -79.6658. Sandy Cr at SR-2481 Low Bridge Rd, Randolph Co

#23 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:22 PM

Warpaints are in my backyard. On Cherokee land. R. Sparks Walker. S. Chickamauga Creek. TN & GA.

#24 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:50 PM

Yesterday I dropped a window, it shattered, and a large piece of glass sliced my leg open. I realized after waterproof bandaging my plastic sutures in the shower today that that probably means I can't go wading. I'm also, I found out at work today, not too good at standing, walking, sitting... So unfortunately it looks like I won't be able to go on Sunday :(

#25 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

Bummer, hope you're feeling better soon. Creek muck in a deep cut is probably not a good idea.

#26 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:56 PM

Yeah, it is a bummer. I just redid my sutures just now and one took a chunk of the skin around the wound site with it when it came off. This is like the worst weekend for me to have been clumsy. :( I hope you all take lots of pictures! I want to see what I missed.

Edited by EricaWieser, 25 May 2012 - 05:56 PM.

#27 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:21 PM

Warpaints are in my backyard. On Cherokee land. R. Sparks Walker. S. Chickamauga Creek. TN & GA.

So you gonna send me some :biggrin:

#28 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:45 AM

Erica - Sounds like ZeeZ may need a ride if his car is not yet fixed.
Josh - Nope, warpaint shiners are another 2 hrs west of Greensboro.

Here's Lat/Lon of our first site if anybody needs for GPS:
38.7853, -79.6658. Sandy Cr at SR-2481 Low Bridge Rd, Randolph Co

Gerald, your coordinates are somewhere in West Virginia... I think you mean 35.7853, -79.6658

Changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#29 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

My injury is doing much better! What are the GPS coordinates and instructions for how to park for the Hyco Creek location? I am going to try to do the 'easy hiking' one. Oh, and I'm bringing a friend with me, Cristina. She's very nice.

Here's a rough approximation of our May 27 itinerary:

1100 - 1200 Sandy Creek, Randolph Co
1230 - 130 Alamance Creek, Guilford Co
200 - 300 Reedy Fork or Stony Creek, Guilford/Alamance
330- 430 Hyco Creek, Caswell Co
500 - 600 Eno River, Orange/Durham

Hyco Creek and Eno River are easy-access and easy wading, so anyone with limited time, young kids, or mobility issues may want to meet us later in the day at those sites. Some of the earlier sites may require a little bushwhacking and bank-climbing (with possible briers & poison ivy).

#30 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:20 PM

What are the GPS coordinates and instructions for how to park for the Hyco Creek location? I am going to try to do the 'easy hiking' one.

I really hope Gerald gets online and checks this page before tomorrow's trip. Cristina expects me to know where I'm taking her XD

#31 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:58 PM

I really hope Gerald gets online and checks this page before tomorrow's trip. Cristina expects me to know where I'm taking her XD

Help? Gerald if you get this you have my phone number. I unfortunately don't have yours anymore (a delete buttom I am regretting now).

#32 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:40 PM

South Hyco Creek at Bama Rd, which heads east from NC-49 about a mile N of the NC-49 and NC-86 split in the SE corner of Caswell County. Approx Lat - Long is 36.25, -79.17.
Michael thanks for the correction, yes the Sandy Creek site Lat is 35. not 38.

Edited by Drew, 28 May 2012 - 01:40 PM.

#33 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:44 PM

Yay, thank you! I'll see you tomorrow :)

#34 Guest_Auban_*

Guest_Auban_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:56 AM

my wife and i are heading in that area tomorrow after i get off work. i wouldnt be able to get there until about noon, but we would love to stop and join you all if you wouldnt mind a couple of new faces. we were going to be looking for small creeks to seine and dipnet anyway. i am specifically looking for redlip shiners and darters. im looking to add a little color to one of my tanks. i would also love some guidance on identification.

#35 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:59 AM

Post trip report:
I had a great time seining and dipnetting fish with everybody. The weather was wonderful and the people were too :) We saw lots of different fish, crayfish, plants, turtles, and bivalves.
If anybody reading this in the future is looking at an event sponsored by Gerald and on the fence about whether or not you're going, go do it. Cristina had never gone out fishing with a seine net before or walked in the water like that and she had a blast.

#36 Guest_danawhicker_*

Guest_danawhicker_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:01 AM

Pics?

#37 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:32 PM

A mixed group of NANFA and Raleigh Aquarium Society members went seining on May 27 in the eastern Piedmont region of North Carolina, in the area roughly bounded by Asheboro, Greensboro, Yanceyville and Durham. We sampled four sites in three river basins: Cape Fear River, Dan/Roanoke River, and Neuse River. Collectors included Harry Knaub, Rob Coffin, Peter Unmack, Eric Hanneman and Kelly Howard, Russell Alcock and kids Megan and Tristan, Erica Wieser and Cristina, Brad and Megan (Auban on NANFA forum), Ben and Michelle Guardiola, Art Chucales, and Gerald Pottern and son Joseph.

Our first site was Sandy Creek near Ramseur in Randolph County, a tributary of Deep River in the Cape Fear River basin. Based on state fish sampling reports we had high hopes of finding good fish diversity here, including redlip shiners (introduced to the Cape Fear basin from their native range in the adjacent Yadkin River basin). The habitat looked lovely – nice cobble riffles and pools, small bedrock waterfalls, and well-forested stable stream-banks. Before seining we walked up and down the creek hoping to witness an active bluehead chub nest with a glowing swarm of shiners and dace, but to no avail. No chub nest, and few fish visible, so we began seining. Baby largemouth bass and bluegill comprised the bulk of our catch from Sandy Creek. We also caught two small bluehead chubs, two golden shiners, several mosquitofish, one tessellated darter, and a few redbreast and green sunfish. It appears something may have “happened” to the fish community here in the past decade since the state’s last high-diversity collection report at this site.

After that disappointing start we headed northeast to the idyllic-sounding Stinking Quarter Creek near Burlington in Alamance County. This stream, also in the Cape Fear River basin, was mainly sand and silt substrate with not much rock, and more turbid than Sandy Creek, but despite its name and appearance the fish yield was surprisingly good: At least five shiner species (highfin, satinfin, white, crescent, and swallowtail), bluehead and creek chubs, mosquitofish, speckled killifish, redbreast sunfish, tessellated darter, and two baby turtles (musk and river cooter). State biologists reported a few mountain redbelly dace here (introduced from Dan River basin) but we didn’t find any.

After stopping for some good gas station beef jerky we continued northeast to Hyco Creek in Caswell County, in the Dan/Roanoke River basin. This tiny creek with bedrock riffles interspersed with sandy pools is one of my fail-safe sites for bringing native-fish-newbies, and as usual it did not disappoint us. Lots of crescent shiners, mountain redbelly and rosyside dace, bluehead and creek chubs, white sucker, redhorse suckers (notchlip or golden?), mosquitofish, speckled killifish, bluegill, redbreast and redear sunfish, johnny and fantail darter, and a three-lined salamander larva.

Last stop was Eno River at West Point Mill Park in Durham, site of the annual Festival for the Eno (July 4th weekend) which raises money to preserve land along the Eno and its tributaries. This is another fail-safe site for showing off colorful native fish, except perhaps during and shortly after the Festival when thousands of people and dogs converge on this site for three days. We caught several shiner species (white, satinfin, swallowtail, spottail, pinewoods), bluehead chub, speckled killifish, johnny and fantail darter, Roanoke and chainback darter, northern hogsucker, bluegill and redbreast sunfish, pumpkinseed, largemouth bass, yellow perch, and one Roanoke rockbass.

I did not take any pictures this time but I’m hoping others who did will post some.
Here are some pics from our April 2010 trip to some of these same sites and nearby sites.

http://forum.nanfa.o...ril/#entry74970

Edited by gerald, 29 May 2012 - 04:01 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users