From Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ErraticFishFinatic_*

Guest_ErraticFishFinatic_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:27 AM

Hey everyone, name's ErraticFishFinatic or EFF for short. I recently found interest in keeping wild native species of fish. I already have a few different species of wild type bettas. I recently looked into Elassoma. okefenokee and decided to purchase my first pair from a local suppier here in Ontario. Before I learned about the pygmy sunfish species I always thought of sunfish as the usual ones you would catch on a fishing trip. I usually just catch dollar sunfish and blue gills here in Mississauga, when I'm on fishing trips. Never knew there was sunfish you could actually have as pets in a aquaria. I hope to learn more about these US native pygmy sunfish. I'll be receiving my young male and female pair if Elassoma. okefenokee on Tuesday, I'll keep everyone updated until then, you may browse through my Photobucket gallery to see some of the wild bettas and other fish I currently own. Make sure to look through all the pages, as I have "ALOT" of fish lol.

http://s1241.photobu...8/A-xander_505/

#2 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

Hello, welcome to the forum. What are you planning to feed your Elassoma and do you have a picture of the tank they'll go into?

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:34 PM

Welcome to the forum... I have to ask though... how are you catching Dollar sunfish in Canada? They are a species native to only the southern part of the US. Might you actually be catching pumpkinseeds or northern longears? My Canadian geography is no good, but you don't have dollars up there.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_ErraticFishFinatic_*

• Guests

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:47 PM

Welcome to the forum... I have to ask though... how are you catching Dollar sunfish in Canada? They are a species native to only the southern part of the US. Might you actually be catching pumpkinseeds or northern longears? My Canadian geography is no good, but you don't have dollars up there.

Yeah, your correct. I miss identified the sunfish, rathern new to them lol. I was trying to look for a match to the fish I caught, looked like a dollar sunfish. Now, I do believe it was a pumpkin seed. The was one time I did catch a orange spotted though, small blue sunfish around 12-14 cm, with orange speckles. I'm not sure this is with all fish, but a lot of non native fish have been showing up in Canadian waters recently. Especially snakehead, northern species.

#5 Guest_ErraticFishFinatic_*

• Guests

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:54 PM

Hello, welcome to the forum. What are you planning to feed your Elassoma and do you have a picture of the tank they'll go into?

I have a brine shrimp hatchery going as I'm also currently raising baby wild bettas, live black worms purchased from my local BigAls's, microworm cultures and I seem to have got some of my wild bettas to eat finely crushed Hikari carnivore pellets. The baby bettas are 1" right now and their mouths are very small, but they manage to eat the crushed pellets some how. I don't have a pic at the moment, but I'll post one up as soon as possible.

#6 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:30 PM

Yeah, your correct. I miss identified the sunfish, rathern new to them lol. I was trying to look for a match to the fish I caught, looked like a dollar sunfish. Now, I do believe it was a pumpkin seed. The was one time I did catch a orange spotted though, small blue sunfish around 12-14 cm, with orange speckles. I'm not sure this is with all fish, but a lot of non native fish have been showing up in Canadian waters recently. Especially snakehead, northern species.

That could have been a small coloured up male bluegill, there are Orangespotted Sunfish in Ontario but they are found around Windsor, and I don't believe they can reach 14cm.

#7 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:21 AM

I have a brine shrimp hatchery going as I'm also currently raising baby wild bettas, live black worms purchased from my local BigAls's, microworm cultures and I seem to have got some of my wild bettas to eat finely crushed Hikari carnivore pellets.

That should work. My adult Elassoma gilberti didn't eat the adult brine shrimp I added to their tank, but I've seen videos of some other people's adult Elassoma eating baby brine shrimp. My baby Elassoma gilberti do eat microworms. And the black worms are like candy to everything large enough to fit them in their mouths. They freak out and gobble them up as much as they can. Black worms are an excellent food.
Also, if you're interested, you can culture grindal worms for less money than it costs to buy black worms. I spent $30 setting up my grindal worm culture and it runs at a maintenance cost of 4 kibbles of Kibbles 'N Bits dog food a day. http://forum.nanfa.o...ips-and-tricks/ What you have now should work great, though. The microworms and the black worms I can guarantee that the fry and adult Elassoma will eat, respectively.

Edited by EricaWieser, 13 May 2012 - 12:22 AM.

#8 Guest_ErraticFishFinatic_*

• Guests

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:10 AM

That could have been a small coloured up male bluegill, there are Orangespotted Sunfish in Ontario but they are found around Windsor, and I don't believe they can reach 14cm.

I see, thanks for the clarification. I'll bring my camera on my next fishing trip this summer. The lake I caught the sunfish in last summer was within Mississauga. I believe it's called Heartlake.

That should work. My adult Elassoma gilberti didn't eat the adult brine shrimp I added to their tank, but I've seen videos of some other people's adult Elassoma eating baby brine shrimp. My baby Elassoma gilberti do eat microworms. And the black worms are like candy to everything large enough to fit them in their mouths. They freak out and gobble them up as much as they can. Black worms are an excellent food.
Also, if you're interested, you can culture grindal worms for less money than it costs to buy black worms. I spent $30 setting up my grindal worm culture and it runs at a maintenance cost of 4 kibbles of Kibbles 'N Bits dog food a day. http://forum.nanfa.o...ips-and-tricks/ What you have now should work great, though. The microworms and the black worms I can guarantee that the fry and adult Elassoma will eat, respectively.

Thanks! I'll be sure to check the link.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users