New guy here

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Mustang302_*

Guest_Mustang302_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:34 AM

Hey everyone, new here from Bristol, Pennsylvania. This is my first try at keeping some natives I've always had oscars and other cichlids. A few days ago I caught a rock bass, and 2 sunfish but not sure which ones i think they are longears but not %100. I really want to go get a pumpkinseed there colors are awesome I think, but anyways. They are in my 55g tank right now but they are REALLY shy, im used to my oscar being excited to see me when I come up to the tank. These guys just hide and the rock bass FREAKS out when I turn the light on. Will they ever warm up to me and stop being shy/scared?

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:34 AM

Welcome, glad you joined us here.

The short answer is 'yes' most sunfish will learn that you are the food guy and will stop being so afraid and will beg at the front glass, etc. However, some of that is a little bit dependent on size. Smaller (younger) fish seem to adapt to tank life more quickly than larger (older) fish that may be, well for lack of a better phrase 'set in there ways'. In my experience the smallest fish that you can (legally of course) take home will make the best aquarium fish.

Keep being patient, try to get some ambient room light on before you just snap on the aquarium lights, approach the tank slowly, try not to stand so that you are looming over the fish, but coming from the side or even below...stuff like that... most will acclimate in a few weeks.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:02 AM

I agree with Michael. Also, feeding them when you approach the tank helps. I used to have an in-tank colony of blackworms. It was great because I never had to remember to feed the fish (Elassoma gilberti); they could eat whenever they were hungry. But oh, did they hate me. The only thing me sticking my nose in front of their tank did was freak them out. After I switched to grindal worms, which are cultured outside of the tank and have to be dropped in, they finally figured out who was the food bringer. When each disturbance to their tank results in them being fed, they figure out that disturbances are good. I've even got a few videos of my fish begging. In this one she saw me at the front of the tank, so she swam forward and then swam around in front of me hoping I'd feed her.

For your sunfish you can try live bait worms, crickets, live blackworms, live grindal worms, thawed cubes of frozen blood worms, a frozen unbreaded cocktail shrimp that has been shredded in a cheese grater, etc. I'm not sure how big yours are but they'll eat some of the things on this list. Others might be too small/big for them.

Edited by EricaWieser, 01 June 2012 - 07:06 AM.

#4 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:22 AM

Welcome to the forums, if you caught the sunfish out of the Delaware they are probably Redbreasts. I thought I was catching Longears for years until I joined NANFA and saw pictures of Longears and realized I had been catching Redbreasts.

#5 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:09 AM

approach the tank slowly, try not to stand so that you are looming over the fish, but coming from the side or even below...stuff like that... most will acclimate in a few weeks.

Good advice, but the mental image of you sneaking up & crawling slowly from below on your aquarium makes me laugh

Oh, and welcome Mustang302

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:30 AM

Good advice, but the mental image of you sneaking up & crawling slowly from below on your aquarium makes me laugh

There is a lot that goes on at my house that would make you laugh...

But seriously, sometimes it can be as simple as sitting in a chair next to the aquarium instead of standing there close to the tank with the hood open and your arm stuck up in the air to drop food in... makes you look tall and vertical... I learned that snorkeling... if you stand up and walk next to the stream the fish scatter... you are a big vertical... maybe a heron... but if you lay down in the stream, all the fish come to investigate and are curious about the big guy in the stream... apparently confident that they can out swim you...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#7 Guest_Mustang302_*

Guest_Mustang302_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

Welcome to the forums, if you caught the sunfish out of the Delaware they are probably Redbreasts. I thought I was catching Longears for years until I joined NANFA and saw pictures of Longears and realized I had been catching Redbreasts.

I actually caught them out of the neshaminy creek if you know where that is. So the could be redbreasts. The sunfish are more active and will come see me sometimes. The rockbass only seems to move with all the lights in the room off. He seems like he won't ever stop being scared/shy. I'll try to post some pics

#8 Guest_Mustang302_*

Guest_Mustang302_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:32 PM

I think they are redbreasts. I dont get it the rock bass swam around normal when i first got him, now he hardly moves untill its dark in the room.

Attached Images

• fish.JPG
  • fish2.JPG

#9 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:56 PM

I think they are redbreasts. I dont get it the rock bass swam around normal when i first got him, now he hardly moves untill its dark in the room.

Sounds like he found a home and is acting 'normally'... they are not a real active fish... they are ambush predators... hang out and wait kinda guys...

#10 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:44 PM

Looks like a longear to me. Many of the red breast I have seen also have a long operculum extension but it is much longer and sometimes thinner than the longear's.

Like this:
Posted Image

or this:
Posted Image

Usil

Edited by Usil, 01 June 2012 - 05:44 PM.

#11 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:30 AM

Welcome to the forum. Glad to see another PA resident.

#12 Guest_Mustang302_*

Guest_Mustang302_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:10 PM

Welcome to the forum. Glad to see another PA resident.

What part of PA are you from

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users