Moving large excitable fish?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:48 PM

Why not remove all but water and fish to remove such risks?

#22 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:04 PM

The fish gets very excited when any furniture in the tank is moved. There is a large stump in the middle of the tank that makes up most of the furniture. It sprawls from the top of one end to the bottom of the other end. It seems that removing this would likely cause as much excitement as a chase with a net.

If I chose to catch the fish by dropping the water level, I wonder how excited it would get when the level gets down to less than a foot or so deep?

#23 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:12 PM

Really, quit over thinking it, and move the fish. It is a hardy fish, not a silverside. Minimize stress, and net him out. Think of the stress that angling puts on a smallmouth, and when released most are fine. No matter how you do this, it will be less stress than a couple minutes hooked. Lower the water, net him out, and move him to a cycled environment. This will be less stressful than his initial transition to tank life. It will be difficult to actually screw up.

#24 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

I realize that sunfish are very hardy and SMB are certainly no exception, but I also realize that with a fish of this size and power, one fast dash to the glass could be the last. I also apologize if my questions are becoming burdensome, that's certainly not my intention. I've got plenty of time before I move the fish and I appreciate having the opportunity to explore many options before I do it.
To put my concern in perspective: This fish has been injured a number of times already from getting startled. I've seen it tear a 3/4" X 3" chunk from it's head just because I was working with something over top the tank from an angle I don't normally come from. Other times, it's recieved 7"-9" scrapes from being startled by things I wouldn't have even thought of before. I also have to keep the tank lids weighted because it's nearly came out through the lids before. Yes, thus far, it has always healed from it's wounds, but I do have an appreciation and respect for the amount of torque it's capable of producing. While the fish is usually as tame and loveable as a puppy, I also have to take particular precautions not to startle it for fear of injury. It's because of this that I've put this question out here and have recieved much valuable information. I'm just hoping to gain as much insight about what to expect as possible.

Has anyone had any experience with fish looking for a fast way out or totally freaking when the water level gets down low enough to catch them or does this typically work out rather simple with fish this large?

Again, thanks for all the help and I do apologize if my questions are becoming irritating.

Thanks,

Steve

#25 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:24 PM

Angling him out may be the easiest way.

#26 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:06 PM

I know he was hooked when he was about 5", but now being a pet, I just don't think I could bring myself to do that, but quite often I do find myself wondering just what he would feel like on the other end of the 5wt.

Edited by steve, 14 July 2012 - 11:08 PM.

#27 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:17 AM

If it gives your more information and is helpful, my Elassoma gilberti don't notice that the water level is dropping until those final few inches come. It's only at the point where the plants are all squished down to the substrate and they don't have enough room to move around that they really notice. The ostrich-posed fish I posted a photo of above was freaked out because I netted out 84 Elassoma gilberti that day and he was fish like #70.

Edited by EricaWieser, 15 July 2012 - 12:18 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users