Chillers needed for native fish?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Pumpkinseed_*

Guest_Pumpkinseed_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:42 PM

Hi,

I have been wanting to get a tank and stock it with native fish. One question that I had was whether or not natives need chillers. The room where my tank would be gets 75-80 degrees during the summer. Do the warm water natives need a chiller in these temperatures? I was thinking of getting a Bantam Sunfish, a Madtom, an Eastern Mudminnow, and some species of minnow or killifish.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:31 AM

Short answer. Nope, at least not for most species, other than salmonids, and a few others. Make sure you have good aeration.

#3 Guest_Pumpkinseed_*

Guest_Pumpkinseed_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:36 PM

Thanks for the reply!

I was just wondering because I have read a couple of forums that say that natives should have chillers. What would be the temperature range that they would thrive in?

Thanks.

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:46 PM

Depends on species. The species you listed are fairly tolerant of warmer water. If you can keep your tank 75 or below, you should be good with almost all, and the ones you have listed can tolerate a bit higher. IMO.

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:40 PM

Agree with Matt... not sure where you are located... but around here (Georgia) the houses are all airconditioned... so my aquariums at room temperature are in that 75 range even in teh summer... and most natives do quite well... I might recommend against sculpins at those temps... but most shiners, darters, topminnows, cats, sunfish, etc.will all be fine.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:58 AM

Short answer. Nope, at least not for most species, other than salmonids, and a few others. Make sure you have good aeration.

Basicly in normal scenarios only salmonopids, white fish, cusk, lake chub, some sculpins, north atlantic species from north of cape cod, and a few others need chillers if you have an AC.

I do not have an AC and my tank is upstairs so sadly have had the occasional summer minnow death, so far none this year. Regular water changes (for colder water as well as cleanliness) and adding ice can prevent this.

#7 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:10 AM

I've never kept Mudminnows or Bantams, but I have kept other Sunfish, Madtoms and various Minnows in tropical tanks with no short term issues, although lower temps and or seasonal variation would almost certainly maximize lifespan, and would even more certainly be required if breeding was your intention.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users