Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

Thanks Ben and Justin!

#62 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:28 PM

You make me want to go jump in the nearest river with my mask and snorkel which since there are chunks of ice floating down said river would be a wee bit chilly. Awesome pictures

#63 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:16 AM

Thanks David. I'm itching to go out again soon as well. I went snorkeling one time this winter (in December) but was unable to get any photos due to my housing flooding. Now I need to get that sorted out so that I can go out again soon in time to catch the spring spawning colors. I'm kind of dreading the cold, though. It is a chore to have to wear a full wetsuit, hood, gloves, boots, extra weights, etc, but it's the price you pay to see many of the fish at their best.

#64 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:19 AM

I would like to thank Brian Wagner (AGFC Nongame Aquatics Biologist) for letting me know that the crayfish pictured in post #20 of this thread is in fact an Ozark Crayfish, not a Longpincered Crayfish as I had labeled it.

Perhaps a moderator could correct the original post?

#65 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

Corrected as requested
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#66 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

Thanks Michael!

#67 Guest_Rainbowrunner_*

Guest_Rainbowrunner_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

Hi Isaac. If I may be so bold to ask: Would you mind posting a picture of your underwater camera gear to give us folks at home an idea of the equipment required to take such exquisite photos? Clearly you would need either a secondary camera or mirror to do this.

#68 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:10 PM

Posted Image

Nikon D7000 in a DiCAPac WP-S10 housing. Far from the best equipment. In fact, most underwater photographers would consider this housing to be inadequate. It is certainly limited compared to a real housing system costing several thousand dollars. But, it's not really as much about the equipment as most people think. What's much more important is knowing how to properly use whatever equipment you have. With the proper knowledge, you can get great underwater photos from a waterproof point and shoot camera costing a couple hundred dollars.

#69 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:21 PM

I love your pictures. Hope you have a good season this year too.

Usil

#70 Guest_Rainbowrunner_*

Guest_Rainbowrunner_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

Ok thanks for the cam info. Seems you are able to get the job done on the low-low-tech. Brilliant. How did you manage to not spook the darters during their fin display showdown? How would you compare or differentiate your photography to Todd Crail and Lance Merry?, In terms of techniques and subject matter?

#71 Guest_Rainbowrunner_*

Guest_Rainbowrunner_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:00 AM

One of my photos, but I cut the cadual fin out of the shot somehow...arrrg! (Coosa darter)
I'm still not getting the clarity i'm looking for, my pics look grainy compared to yours, why?
In post production I crop, resize and use the saturation tool to restore any lost color density.
Is it because you are using raw and i'm using .jpg formats?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#72 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:38 AM

Thanks Usil. I went out a couple of days ago for the first time this year but didn't get any photos worth sharing. It was a new site for me that didn't turn out to be very good. It also seemed to be a little early for good color for most species.

#73 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:34 AM

Jason, for the photo of the Rainbow Darters I eased into the middle of a spot with a lot of Rainbow Darter breeding activity and stayed there for about half an hour, moving as little as possible. The darters soon settled back into their normal behavior, males courting the females and chasing away other males from their territories. As long as I didn't move much they came very close to me. There were probably 10-20 darters within a couple feet of me.

Todd and Lance are both really talented underwater photographers with some amazing images. We have quite a few other members here who take great underwater photos as well.

Your darter photos look pretty good. They could maybe use a small amount of sharpening. If you're having issues with too much grain, you might want to do a little research on ISO. A camera's ISO value is the main setting that determines the amount of grain (also called noise) in the images. A low ISO setting results in images with very little grain. You may want to look into how to control the ISO setting on your camera. If you are using your camera in automatic mode, increasing the amount of light on your subject will cause the camera to use lower ISO values. So, to avoid grainy images, have as much light on your subject as possible. This can be difficult with images of fish in aquariums because aquarium lights are not very bright. You may want to try using your camera with the flash enabled to increase the amount of light. Just make sure you are at an angle to the glass to avoid reflections.

#74 Guest_Rainbowrunner_*

Guest_Rainbowrunner_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:49 AM

10-4 Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users