European species

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Perchfriend_*

Guest_Perchfriend_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:34 PM

Hi Fishfriends,

I just have uploaded my galery ... some European and American species. I hope it is interesting for you !

Frank

#2 Guest_Orangespotted_*

Guest_Orangespotted_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

I took a peek at your gallery and you have a lot of very lovely pictures. Your fishes are in great condition! My favorite is the Threespine Stickleback - the male has a very cool pattern and a great orange blaze on its chest.

I have a question: do you see a lot of American fishes for sale in fish stores where you live? Here in the U.S., I only seem to find that stores have Fathead Minnows (Pimephales promelas), Sailfin Mollies (Poecilia latipinna), and the occasional Flagfish (Jordanella floridae) for sale. It seems like a lot more American species are sold in Europe.

#3 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

WOW! Your tanks are incredible! Would you mind giving us some more information? Maybe full tank shots?

#4 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:52 AM

I have a question: do you see a lot of American fishes for sale in fish stores where you live? Here in the U.S., I only seem to find that stores have Fathead Minnows (Pimephales promelas), Sailfin Mollies (Poecilia latipinna), and the occasional Flagfish (Jordanella floridae) for sale. It seems like a lot more American species are sold in Europe.

More than I see, I only see fathead minnows regularly (unless sailfin mollies are marketed under a different name than sailfin, I heard most mollies in fish stores are hybrids of short and sail fin).

I have seen a few accidentals (only a golden shiner or two in my state, but have seen mosquito fish and a green sunfish in mass)

#5 Guest_Perchfriend_*

Guest_Perchfriend_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:59 PM

I took a peek at your gallery and you have a lot of very lovely pictures. Your fishes are in great condition! My favorite is the Threespine Stickleback - the male has a very cool pattern and a great orange blaze on its chest.

Hi Orangespotted,
some American species are popular and easy to get, as for example pumpkinseed, blackbanded sunfish, black & brown bullhead, rainbow shiner. A bit rarer are red shiner, fathaed minnow, flagfish or bluespotted sunfish. Not in the stores but in hobbyist societies like killifish society you can find the whole spectum of pupfishes, and many other North American Killies and pygmy sunfishes. But apart from that its difficult to get NA species. For years I try to get bowfins or orangespotted sunfishes ...
Frank

#6 Guest_Perchfriend_*

Guest_Perchfriend_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:29 PM

By the way:

I am searching a few printable pictures for my book about cold / cool water species from:

Amia calva

Channa argus

Is there somebody who like to support me ?

Frank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users