Trip out west

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:39 PM

Guys, this may be a somewhat lame topic, but my family and I have been on a two week Colorado/ Utah trip. I am short on photos, as it is darn hard to fly fish, and take photos at the same time by yourself, without killing fish. As you can guess I fished as much as possible.

My first stream was the Rio Grande in Colorado. I caught 8 rainbows, and two browns in a couple hours. This was high in the headwaters, and fished much like an Appalachian stream.

My next chance was the roaring fork in Aspen. Skunk. Almost never happens, as I am a pretty accomplished fly fisherman. It was big scary water, with very tough wading conditions, and I was rather nervous. Not on my game.

Yesterday, I washed the skunk off big time. I fished the Crystal river in Carbondale Co. I unfortunately lost count of the fish in the first half hour. I fished this river for two hours, and was somewhere between 50 and 100 salmonids. Brown trout, Rainbow, Cutthroat, and Mountain whitefish. Whitefish are highly under rated. Ugly as sin, but fight like Spartans.

Today we went to a high altitude lake with a stream connecting it to an even higher lake. The stream did not actually connect the lakes, as it ran underground for about two miles, then rose. Wow. Fished for 45 minutes in the lower part of the stream(talk about cold water) and caught 9 nice sized Cutts. Heading back there in an hour or so to fish below the lake to try to finish up my grand slam, and maybe bring some brookies home for dinner.

I should have some photos to add once we return home. Wish me luck tonight. Matt

#2 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:50 AM

Sounds like a great trip! I would love to see a few pictures of the fish and scenery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users