Photo

Outdoor Learning Symposium

5 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:49 PM

I had a unique opportunity for outreach yesterday that I thought I would share with y'all. I was invited to speak by the Environmental Education Alliance of Georgia at an event they sponsor here in the Atlanta area call the Outdoor Learning Symposium (you can click the link and then click the link for a detailed description of the kind topics that were covered). Other speakers were there from Audobon, county water works, Garden Groups, etc. that talked about birds, butterflies, plants, wildlife, etc. But they had never had anyone talk about fishes... until now!

I ended up not just talking, but getting about 10 teachers out to a stream that was on the property. They got a chance to see fish. Pass around phototanks to see fish up close and a few of them were brave enough to grab a brail and jump into the water and catch their own. See some of the fish they saw.

http://gallery.nanfa...Wolfe/IvyCreek/

We also talked about all the ways that fish can be used to teach (fin shape, mouth location, habitat differences, history of science, etc.) as well as how they could adapt the idea to getting students out into the stream.

So NANFA got some great exposure, some teachers learned about native fishes, and I made a number of good contacts with state DNR, and other agencies that are interested in having us help them.

Wish I had pictures of these teachers seining and taking notes and staring into phototanks, but I was so busy trying to seine with them and show them fish that my camera pretty much stayed in my pocket. But I may get the opportunity next year as these folks were very excited about native fishes and I have already been invited back next year.

How to Teach with Native Fish
Michael Wolfe ~ North American Native Fish Association
  • Explore Ivy Creek and observe native fishes. We will demonstrate and discuss sampling and viewing techniques and how to incorporate fish into your discussions with students. There will be opportunities to get firsthand experience with the diversity of native fishes that are right here in our streams.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#2 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:23 AM

Teaching the teachers - I like that idea. Hopefully they will pass on some of what they learned to lots of students. Great work Michael!

Edited by IsaacSzabo, 23 September 2012 - 08:28 AM.

#3 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:52 PM

Awesome Michael.
The Tennessee River Rescue is coming up October 6.
They will have 21 sites, but no central site.
This is like their 20th year.
I will setup on West Chickamauga, maybe you can come up?
You are a mighty fine, an ideal, NANFA State Rep.

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:27 PM

Let me take a look at my calendar, I would like to come up and help you if I can. Is this spot going to be in Tennessee or on the Georgia side of the boarder... I have a spot there that I want to check out for my type locality project? I mean, either way, I would like to help you out, but just curious.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:07 PM

Straddlin' the border!
Draining Georgia.
I sent you details earlier via email.

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:59 PM

One of my students... no wait... they were all teachers... anyway... one of the teachers in my class posted these... plenty of shots of the phototanks (large and small) a few fish and scenery... and too many of me pointing at phototanks (I must do that a lot).

https://picasaweb.google.com/kbailey0525/OLS2012?authkey=Gv1sRgCJyu7qzSq5aPRw#

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users