4 saltwater species

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FishyJackson_*

Guest_FishyJackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:29 AM

Going to keep you guys busy with these..

Winter Skate? caught off a long island beach last November. I read they have often have Oceli dots on their back but I dont see any on this. Seemed to big and heavy to be a Little Skate.

Posted Image

#2 Guest_FishyJackson_*

Guest_FishyJackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:32 AM

Southern Kingfish? I read they have black bars on the side and this has none, but it also doesnt have the black tip on the tail that the Gulf Kingfish has.

Posted Image

#3 Guest_FishyJackson_*

Guest_FishyJackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:34 AM

Oyster Toadfish or Guflf Toadfish? Caught in Sarasota in the Gulf, but is there any way to tell the difference?

Posted Image

#4 Guest_FishyJackson_*

Guest_FishyJackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:37 AM

What kind of Blenny? Caught Key West

Posted Image

#5 Guest_FishyJackson_*

Guest_FishyJackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:38 AM

This Blenny I caught after the above was caught, Hairy Blenny right? Is the above fish also a Hairy Blenny?

Posted Image

#6 Guest_mzokan_*

Guest_mzokan_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:31 PM

I can't help with the skate as I do not know northern species, next is a washed-out southern kingfish -- they can go from having rather dark bands to having practically none at all and lack the dark tail tip. The toadfish is a gulf because oyster is not found there and also I believe the gulf has more distinct banding rather than the spotting/mottling that an oyster has. Both blennies are hairy blennies, the lower one is in breeding colors -- the ocellus on the opercle separates them from other local Labrisomus except mimic and spotcheek. Spotcheeks are very different in pattern (vertical bars) from hairy, but mimic are similar. I don't how to tell mimic from hairy off the top of my head, but your fish are too big to be anything but hairy blennies

#7 Guest_FishyJackson_*

Guest_FishyJackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:19 PM

You're a legend Mzokan, thanks. I'm going to keep you busy with a few more, will start new thread

#8 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:23 PM

I can't be of much help with most of the saltwater IDs, but I have enjoyed seeing some of these interesting saltwater natives that don't seem to get much exposure on this site.

#9 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:55 AM

Saltwater fish are very cool and bizarre. Just look at this (non native) puffer fishes very impressive nest. (I thought this was cool and had to share with fish enthusiasts but as a non native it couldn't get its own post).

http://www.grindtv.c...lved off japan/

#10 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:06 AM

Not native and not exactly related to this thread, but that is really cool!

#11 Guest_FishyJackson_*

Guest_FishyJackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:23 AM

Isaac/Chaos- I was noticing looking through the ID threads that it is mostly freshwater here. I'm an avid saltwater guy myself, but if I lived closer to more diverse freshwater ecosystems I could definately see myself getting more into the freshwater side. The variety of saltwater fish fascinate me, I've caught close to 100 different saltwater species and only like 3 freshwater haha. I had never really thought about how I had caught a Gulf Toadfish in addition to the Oyster Toadfish I caught up north, but the knowledgable Mzokan has now confirmed it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users