Fish Deaths

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:12 AM

Before going to the convention i did a near total water change of my tanks (very rare move for me), moved my minnows to my 55 and my madtom and sunfish to my 29. Then added feeder tabs. Unlike me Carribean trip, on my Ohio trip my fish didn't eat the feeder tabs, so i removed them and did a ten gallon water change of each tank to be safe. (the 29 had algea issues on returning, the 55 looks clear and pristine).

My minnows and darters did fine for a few days, but lately i find one or two dead each day. So far about 5 darters and 2 minnows (one being one of my two stonerollers, the other stoneroller vanished and I cannot find it).

Though I still have alot of new darters, this die off worries me. So far it seems confined just to my new fish (my older fish pre convention seem unfazed). But still it worries me.

Any suggestions on what I should do? Should I do a big water change of my 55 this weekend?

#2 Guest_Owain4_*

Guest_Owain4_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:39 AM

do you quarentine your new fish??? how long are you going to be gone for? how long has the tank been set up that the new fish are dying in?

#3 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:43 AM

do you quarentine your new fish??? how long are you going to be gone for? how long has the tank been set up that the new fish are dying in?

I didn't quarantine them, my old fish were fine despite me being gone a week, the new ones are dying. I had that tank for several years.

#4 Guest_Owain4_*

Guest_Owain4_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:50 AM

Well they could have introduced bacteria or any kind of infection its really hard to tell, to be safe you should always quarantine them to make sure none show signs of sickness. What size tank and how many fish total are in it? did you do a water change before you added the new fish???

#5 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:08 PM

Quarantine also protects outsourced fish. Pathogens already present but not problematic in exisitng stock can go after new animals stressed by move. Quarantine facilities also can make for greater range and more effective treatment options as provided potetntially by tanks without biological filtration, gravel and where filtration can turned off.

#6 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:30 PM

Don't worry FirstChaos, I wish I would have quarantined mine also. Quick death of the Redside Dace caused Fin/Body rot to breakout on my established fish. Your fish are likely stressed due to changing conditions. My advice, when I fish 1st shows signs of sickness....kill it.

#7 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

I have photos to come but since the convention I have been losing 2-5 fish per week. And more on the way

#8 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:13 PM

I have photos to come but since the convention I have been losing 2-5 fish per week. And more on the way

I lost five more darters after a few days without deaths on tuesday, I added anti fungus and bacteria medicine to the tank the next day just in case. Haven't lost anything since.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users