Keeping game fish in large home aquariums in Georgia.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_johnbarnesjr_*

Guest_johnbarnesjr_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:12 PM

i have a question. I'm currently serving my country here in Montana but I plan to return to my home state of Georgia in the near future and I know in the state of Montana it is illegal to keep game fish in a home aquarium not even tilapia in that state. I was wondering is it legal to own game fish that are native to Georgia or the southeast-fishes like crappie, bass, sunfish those types. I found a company in Florida that sells native fish to put aquariums but I just want to make sure its ok because I would like to set up a native Georgia aquarium. Thanks

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:43 PM

In general, keeping is fine as long as the fish are properly acquired. Which here in Georgia would mean taking them on a hook and line (as opposed to seining like we can do for shiners and darters and such). Game fish are clearly defined in the fishing lisence regulations, and include most if not all of the fish you mentioned.

But there are a lot of really cool Georgia fish without even looking at the game fishes.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:36 PM

I've always assumed if I bought it online from someone who has a permit to sell fish, it was legally acquired and okay to keep in my aquarium. (As long as it's not listed as endangered or threatened in my state, of course.)

#4 Guest_johnbarnesjr_*

Guest_johnbarnesjr_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:56 PM

Thanks for the replies this really helps me in establishing my native Georgia aquarium, I will post more soon as I get this thing set up soon.

#5 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

It is unlawful to take in one day or to possess at any one time, except at a residence or commercial storage facility, more than the daily limit for each species. It is unlawful to possess more than a total of 50 individuals of all the game fish listed in this section, except channel and flathead catfish.

from http://www.eregulati...al-regulations/
Don't have more than 50 game fish, is what that says. What's implied is that less than fifty are perfectly legal to keep in your residence.

If you want help setting up a large tank for your game fish, this is pretty good guide: He built a 237 gallon tank and stand for $375.

Edited by EricaWieser, 08 October 2012 - 10:11 PM.

#6 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

But there are a lot of really cool Georgia fish without even looking at the game fishes.

Michael has a good point here. Many game fishes get quite large and therefore difficult to accommodate. Be prepared to purchase or build some very large aquariums and have a good supply of food. I'm certainly not trying to talk you out of it. I've got an 18" smallmouth bass and it's been a lot of fun, but you'll need some large tanks(150Gal. and up) and good biological filtration systems. These are messy fish. Good luck with this and please give us some updates as you're setting your system up. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users