Need help with this darter....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ken_*

Guest_Ken_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

I caught this one in a creek where I was hunting banded and rainbows for my community tank. Initially I thought it was one of the bandeds but it looked a bit different. The coloration on the first doral doesn't match ( it almost looks black with a red stripe running through it), there is striping in the caudal fin (like a fantail's) and it's more darkened around the upper portion of the gill plate. There does seem to be some vertical striping at the rear of the body that looks like possibly a faint green. I did a little recon and I'm wondering if it isn't a mud darter. They are in the same drainage system..... I couldn't imagine a banded X fantail that wouldn't make sense to me.....

Attached Files

#2 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:10 PM

What drainage? Any more photos? Just a guess, I would say Mud Darter

#3 Guest_Ken_*

Guest_Ken_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:31 PM

Cedar River (Iowa) watershed (sorry)..... I'll add a couple more pictures though I don't know if they'll be anymore help. As you can see it is in with my Johnnies at the moment until I can figure out what it is.

Attached Files

#4 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:35 PM

Yup, mud.

#5 Guest_Ken_*

Guest_Ken_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:17 AM

Thanks guys. I kind of thought so. Just wanted some varification....

#6 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:28 AM

I'm glad Dave chimed in, I was thinking Mud, but I've never actually seen on in person so I wasn't sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users