Need some advice on a new tank I'm planning

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Namor_*

Guest_Namor_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

Hello all, I've been a long time lurker on these forums and have finally decided to do a native tank. I've been keeping both marine and freshwater tanks for many years so am not a novice, but I wanted to do something a little different this time. I want to do a 150 gallon tank (48inx24inx30in). Thing is I want to do it with a Cagles turtle (a map turtle from Texas that gets anywhere from 4.5 to 6.5 inches in size) and have a water depth of 24 in (leaving a 6 in gap of air at the top of the tank). I was interested in adding some (I was thinking about 6) longear sunfish to the tank and a couple of madtoms (speckled, tadpole, or black, unsure of the number). I planned on having quite a bit of submerged rockwork and logs, with a "bank" style cliff for the turtle to sun and have some land area. I think my water parameters will be slightly acidic and a temp of around 70-75 degrees. I am planning on wet dry filtration with the addition of a fluidized bed filter in the sump. I also plan on having it heavily planted and having duckweed on the waters surface and a stand of planted dwarf cattails in a pot (disguised by rockwork). I just wanted to double check for feedback and maybe anything I may have missed. The tank is primarily for the turtle, but I wanted a little bit of aquatic life as well. Also, do you think larger crawfish would kill and eat the madtoms? I am also unsure if the Longears would harrass the crawfish.

#2 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

One thing you might be interested is using styrofoam or Great Stuff foam. You're describing a very beautiful setup that I can only imagine would be made easier by the use of foam. Also remember to silicone your rocks together while they're dry so they don't slip apart and crash into the tank after being submerged.

Here are some foam tanks you can take inspiration from:
youtube.com/watch?v=StTqyJdIsy4&feature=relmfu
youtube.com/watch?v=95HShae6x2E&feature=related
youtube.com/watch?v=zEO64JqhjRE&list=FLln9g_I5cF2T269lUhiqiyQ&index=5&feature=plpp_video
youtube.com/watch?v=KUMXi6IuSCw&feature=channel&list=UL
youtube.com/watch?v=_lDS_pr9OLo&feature=related

"Also, do you think larger crawfish would kill and eat the madtoms?"
Yes.
"I am also unsure if the Longears would harrass the crawfish." Probably. But don't worry, the turtles will have eaten the longears first.
I'm not touching your tank compatibility with a ten inch chicken stick. But hey, it'll be pretty.

Edited by EricaWieser, 24 November 2012 - 02:15 PM.

#3 Guest_Namor_*

Guest_Namor_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

I hear you about the compatability, it is an experiment. Several turtle people have been trying it for a while and some of the issues are better understood. The sunfish seem to be fast enough and if the turtle is placed with them at a small size it seems to develop a healthy respect for them. I am unsure of the madtoms and the longears interactions, but they seem to get along from everything that I've read. If nothing else I've got a nice turtle tank. The crawfish were just to add a little variety and a little bit of a clean up crew. I know freshwater shrimp will be added as live feeders so they may help out, but probably won't last long enough to do it. Snails in the same way, but the turtle will eat them.

I have looked into the foam a little bit, may or may not go that route, strictly becuase I like to use natural materials, but am open to its possibilities.

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:13 PM

Sunfish and madtoms work out pretty well... my only sunfish is a warmouth that lives with three madtoms... basically the four of them are pretty rough on any other fish but do just fine together. I have a bias against crayfish as my experience is that they move around nocturnally and harass and eat sleeping fish, but I think the madtoms and sunfish might solve your crayfish "problem" anyway.

I don't know anything about turtles, but have heard that they do not play nice with fish, but you already know you are experimenting.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

Yeah, if you have ever seen a crayfish molt, they are like jello for several hours until their exoskeleton hardens enough for them to even move. Very easy pickins for almost anything else that lives in the water.

#6 Guest_mangoverde_*

Guest_mangoverde_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:28 PM

One thing you might be interested is using styrofoam or Great Stuff foam. You're describing a very beautiful setup that I can only imagine would be made easier by the use of foam. Also remember to silicone your rocks together while they're dry so they don't slip apart and crash into the tank after being submerged.

I am wondering if a turtle would chew up a foam type material.

#7 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

I am wondering if a turtle would chew up a foam type material.

You can coat it in grout. It ends up being hard as a rock.

Edited by EricaWieser, 24 November 2012 - 09:56 PM.

#8 Guest_mangoverde_*

Guest_mangoverde_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

You can coat it in grout. It ends up being hard as a rock.

That would work. :)

#9 Guest_Auban_*

Guest_Auban_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:27 AM

whenever you set your tank up, be sure to test the water to be sure it doesnt foul. i hear people talk about how goldfish are some of the messiest fish and need huge tanks with powerful filters, but they dont hold a candle to a turtle. messiest critters ever...

if your water fouls though, i can guarantee your fish would die long before your turtle gets sick. even if it doesnt work out for the fish, it would still make a nice turtle tank.

#10 Guest_Namor_*

Guest_Namor_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

whenever you set your tank up, be sure to test the water to be sure it doesnt foul. i hear people talk about how goldfish are some of the messiest fish and need huge tanks with powerful filters, but they dont hold a candle to a turtle. messiest critters ever...

Yeah, turtles are the messiest thing you can put in a tank I do believe. My wet/dry is for up to 200 gal and the fluidized bed is for up to 300 gal, so I don't think the bioload will be too much for it.
Longears get around 6-7 inch don't they? I am hoping that the size of the fish will help dissuade the turtle from trying anything. Also the turtle is mostly insectivorous, but I'm sure it won't turn it's nose up at some fresh fish if given the opportunity.

#11 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

I have a young map turtle myself and it has yet to bother a fish, it even made friends with a Creek Chub, they would just sit there and stare at each other for hours nose to nose it was cute. I also have a little demon of a red eared slider who will be getting released back to the wild next year hopefully he is a little maniac and goes after everything. I've never had crayfish go after anything large like an adult sunfish but I have had small madtoms go missing a few too many times. A larger madtom would probably hold its own and possibly wind up eating the crayfish especially when it molts.

#12 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

I had a tank of sunfish last year and put one Madtom in it. A few months later had to clean the tank pretty good by taking everything out. Never did find the Madtom. I can only assume it was dinner for one of them. But, you never know what will work out. What works for one might not for another. Depends on temperament and how well they are fed. I have a small fiddler crab, 3 amano shrimp, 5 flower shrimp and a small crayfish in my sunfish tank now. I can't believe the 3 amano shrimp are still alive after a year but they have found perfect hiding places and come out at night to feed. Two even had babies but never saw the young as I am sure they were fine feed for a few days for the sunfish. The fiddler is a hold over from the last tank chang-out and still shows itself from time to time. The crayfish, so far, has not cannibalized any fish. It comes to the front with the fish for feeding times and I make sure he is well fed so that might help. The shrimp and crayfish are there for algae control and food cleanup and I never thought the amanos would survive. I experimented with things that would help control algae last year hence the shrimp. Frankly though the best thing I added for algae control were two Siamese Algae Eaters. I know, not natives but they were instrumental in keeping the tank clean this year. I had no problems like I did last year without them.

Usil

Edited by Usil, 27 November 2012 - 04:15 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users