Guest_FishyJackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

Is Tom Monroe a Fish ID Legend?

#22 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

From Dr. Tom Munroe at the Smithsonian, and yes, a flatfish expert.

Thanks for sending the photos of the flatfish. I think the specimens are species of Syacium. I can’t really see the lateral line in either photo. I don’t have too much experience with this genus so am not able to identify the specimens to species with any confidence. This is a complicated genus with three morphologically similar species in the western Atlantic, with strong sexual dimorphism, and large overlaps in body shape and meristic features among the three species.

The photos are of two different fish, correct? At least I think so. And if they are different individuals, I think both are males (elongate pectoral fin rays) of different species. The one being held has eyes nearly equal in position and separated by a smaller interorbital space. This may be Syacium micrurum. The other species has the eyes more unequal in position, and lacks a bluish stripe along the dorsum (at least I couldn’t see any evidence of it) which is characteristic of male S. papillosum. So, by process of elimination, the only one left is Syacium gunteri.

Maybe someone at NMNS Pascagoula, perhaps Jim Ditty, might have a better handle on these and could put a name on them. Sorry I can’t be of more help.

#23 Guest_FishyJackson_*

Guest_FishyJackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:32 PM

Just to clarify, it was only 1 fish. Cool to hear from a fish expert, man this a tough one. Could be any one of them at this point. I actually have what appears to be a better pic of the fish on my Iphone...

Fritz- Appreciate you reaching out to him, i dont want to make you keep contacting people, but I'm so curious for what the definitive ID is, do you know how to contact the person he recommended? You can send me a message w/ the contact info and I'll send them some pics of the fish.

#24 Guest_FishyJackson_*

Guest_FishyJackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:45 PM

On second thought, I think I might be ready to pronounce this a Shoal Flounder (Syacium gunteri) . I definately didnt see any blueish stripe on it like he said the Dusky Flounders have, and the Channel Flounders are pretty much absent from that area...Shoal Flounder for the win...

I just found picture of it with those same flowery markings that I thought it didnt have. Should have checked it earlier, that same site, fishbase.com http://www.fishbase....um-gunteri.html.

#25 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

No arguement from me.

#26 Guest_mzokan_*

Guest_mzokan_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:01 AM

Just a quick point to make -- don't put much weight on body coloration when IDing flatfish, except for placement and number of dark spots and ocelli. All the other colors, like those flowery markings come and go with the mood of the fish, color of the substrate, day or night etc.

For a good publication on flounders in your area of the Gulf see: http://research.myfw...fo.asp?id=27894

congrats on your shoal flounder

#27 Guest_FishyJackson_*

Guest_FishyJackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for all the info/help, hopefully my next trek to Sarasota will produce more mystery fish. It always does... Me and my friend I go with, we always set up with 3 or 4 rods each, 2 each for big fish but for the small rod, we bait up sabiki rigs and fish the reef bottom for small fish, never know what you'll bring up. Gotta fish through a bunch of little tomtates and other grunts, but eventually a Shoal Flounder or Bandtail Puffer kind of creature will emerge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users