Black Spots on Taiwan moss

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bearskookums_*

Guest_bearskookums_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2007 - 10:17 PM

I just received some cherry shrimp today and had 3 different types of plants sent to me....Riccia, Taiwan moss, and stringy Moss.
The Taiwan moss had some black spots that look like the spores on a fern plant...but I dont know what it is...can anyone tell from the picture?

Also any suggestions on how to plant the riccia? the taiwan and stringy moss I am gonna just tie to rocks...but how is Riccia attached to rocks etc besides having it float?

#2 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2007 - 07:46 PM

I just received some cherry shrimp today and had 3 different types of plants sent to me....Riccia, Taiwan moss, and stringy Moss.
The Taiwan moss had some black spots that look like the spores on a fern plant...but I dont know what it is...can anyone tell from the picture?

Also any suggestions on how to plant the riccia? the taiwan and stringy moss I am gonna just tie to rocks...but how is Riccia attached to rocks etc besides having it float?

The black spots could be pieces of wood if the moss was harvested from driftwood prior to being shipped to you. I have Java moss in my tanks and it attaches to wood, rock, lift tubes and will often pull off pieces of whatever it is growing on.

As far as the riccia goes, it is generally held down with hairnet or something similar.

#3 Guest_ckraft_*

Guest_ckraft_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2007 - 08:05 PM

I got some yesterday, the black spots I received were very small snails.

#4 Guest_bearskookums_*

Guest_bearskookums_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:54 PM

My shrimp tank now has freshwater limpets on the glass. So the spots might be these guys. I also see tiny white spots on the glass that might be baby limpets. Max size so far on the limpets are around 3mm.

#5 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:07 AM

My shrimp tank now has freshwater limpets on the glass. So the spots might be these guys. I also see tiny white spots on the glass that might be baby limpets. Max size so far on the limpets are around 3mm.

I was unaware that there was such a thing, but after looking into it more I have discovered what those little clearish oval things on my glass are. Awesome!

#6 Guest_bearskookums_*

Guest_bearskookums_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:16 AM

Yeah I put my pocket microscope to the glass and actually saw that it has a head almost like my apple snails. The other day I saw one of my cherry shrimp holding one of the limpets like it was eating it...so maybe they will keep them in check for me, hopefully.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users