topminnow id

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_don212_*

Guest_don212_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

i have a bunch of topminnows gathered here in citrus cty fl in the local lake and freshwater river, last week my beautiful male died so i went to my pond where my excess live, i ended up bringing in a pair of 4 inch topminnows, twice as long as those from myaquarium and built like tanks, also 2 giant mosquitofish 3 inches long, well i've been content knowing i had topminnows and believing them all to be goldens, but now i am planning to try to get a display into our local state park so i need some ids. First, do goldens get to be 4inches and really stocky, 2nd i have a couple of melanistic goldens, how do you sex them, there seem to be only black spots, no red or gold. third i have one that is reddish and slightly green with stripes and his earspots are dark, banded? but i don't see any shiny star on his head, bandeds are starminnows right, my pictures never seem to come out clear, sorry can anybody help?

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

First, yes, they can get to be 4 inches long and plenty hefty... here is a melanistic male that was that size.
Posted Image

Second, females have almost no red, and as you can see above, even heavily melanistic males do express the red spots.

It sounds like the fish in your third question is in fact a banded. I agree with you that they usually have a "star-like" mark on the head. But depending on the size/maturity of the fish, it may not appear very distinct.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

Nice looking fish! I'll look for them on aquabid come spring.

#4 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

Hey Michael a but off topic but what is that fish in your profile picture? I caught some that look just like that and keep forgetting to post pictures of them for identification

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

David, check out this thread... striped jumprock

http://forum.nanfa.o...ch/page__st__20
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 Guest_don212_*

Guest_don212_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

yours show red, mine don't therefore female i suppose, thanks, nice picture

#7 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

Really big "topminnows" in Florida may be Seminole killies, they're often bigger than four inches.

#8 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:05 AM

David, check out this thread... striped jumprock

http://forum.nanfa.o...ch/page__st__20

Thanks Michael, mine is a baby suckerfish of some kind. I have a couple of fish I need identified just haven't gotten around to uploading the pictures yet.

#9 Guest_don212_*

Guest_don212_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

mine seem to be big goldens

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users