Woohooo! Merry Christmas to me.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

Went to feed my tank today. Found 3 fry swimming around. I netted 2 out into a fry basket. they're 1/4" translucent threads with beady eyes at the end. I think they're eastern black nosed dace since they're at the surface of my 55. Hopefully I'll be able to rear them. Guess the 5 day power outtage (10/29-11/2) was enough of a dip in temp (55*F) to get them ready to spawn. I saw a color change in the males when I do water changes but not the full colors I see in the wild. You wouldnt think they're darters would you?

Edited by exasperatus2002, 27 December 2012 - 06:32 PM.

#2 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

If they were neat the surface I doubt they are darters, as most mentions of darter fry i read here say they are bottom dwelling like the adults thus will get eaten. (not sure if this applies to all darters or not). I remember reading that rhinicthys fry start as pelagic but move lower in the water column as they age.

As for eastern blacknose dace in my experience when they get in mood they'd try and mate with anything minnow like. (though from what I read blacknose and longnose will not mate with each other in the wild, which is odd as when habitat is disturbed they'd mate with nearly anything else as the long list of longnose hybrids show).

#3 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

Forgot theres a slight chance they could be fatheads but the only ones I've seen anything resembling courting from are the black nosed dace.

#4 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

Baby pics-
Posted Image

Posted Image

tank pics-

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Guest_Ken_*

Guest_Ken_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

A number of young darter fry initially will swim in mid range water level with a current to catch pasing food. But I have never seen them at the surface.

#6 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

That's a nice present to find Scott. Some of my crayfish got busy during the power outage too but none of the females have laid any eggs yest.

#7 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

Pulled out 5 more fry today of a younger age class. Has anyone else bred bnd's here? Do they lay all their eggs at the same time or over consecutive days?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users