2012 - The Year Of The Fish

57 replies to this topic

#21 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

Here's the fantail complex notes I have scribbled into my copy of Menhinick (info from Fritz and/or Wayne Starnes):

1. Chesapeake fantail (E. flab. humerale): Atlantic slope from Susequehana to Cape Fear, and lower PeeDee (below High Rock Lake).

2. Carolina fantail (E. flab. brevispinum): Upper PeeDee/Yadkin, Catawba-Broad-Saluda (=Santee), and Savannah

3. True Fantail (E. flab flabellare): Tennessee and Ohio basins

Not sure whether the latest DNA info backs this up, and dunno about the fantails farther north or west; I've never had reason to ask about those pops. Maybe Chris Scharpf can illuminate for us.

Well I'm no Chris Scharpf, but I have his Annotated Checklist. He pretty much agrees with you... but calls flabellare the Barred Fantail... and spells the next one brevispina... and then adds E. f. lineolatum the Striped Fantail from Arkansas, Mississippi, Missouri, lower Tennessee and lower Ohio and Great Lakes area. Then he also adds an unnamed E. f. ssp. that he says is in the upper Tennessee and New
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#22 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

Any overlap or are the 5 forms all allopatric? I'd like to see a range map.

#23 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

I don't have maps in Chris's check list...might have to go to papers for that... which even that won't totally work since the one is still undescribed... but the descriptions sounded like non-overlapping areas to me..
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#24 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

Very interesting that I have been seeing the same subspecies in multiple drainages but the Potomac ones always look so much more impressive. Maybe it is an artifact of the habitat I typically see when I am in that area is more conducive to growing "trophy" fantails. Just because they are an incredible generalist doesn't mean that some habitats/conditions aren't much more suitable.

Any information on what characters separate the subspecies?

#25 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:18 PM

I spent a good number of my evenings in April 2012 on the mighting Potomac River. the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries is working on a large scale effort to reintroduce and reestablish healthy populations of American Shad (Alosa sapidissima) into Virginia rivers, many of which have recently had large fish passage improvements, allowing this species to reach long-restricted spawning waters. In 2003, Embrey Dam was breached in Fredericksburg, opening over 100 miles of former spawning grounds in the Rappahannock River to these rather impressive herring. You may recall seeing in this most recent American Currents issue a blurb in the back about this species' recovery in Virginia. I was very fortunate to be able to be out with DGIF about 3 nights a week during the broodstock collection, which resulted in roughly 6 million fry being stocked into the Rappahannock River. It was an amazing experience to be a part of that.

Due to their crepuscular spawning habits, broodstock collection happens in the evening hours, so it was convenient with my work schedule to meet up with the biologists in the late afternoon after I got off work to hitch a ride up to northern Virginia to get out on the water. Depending on the tide schedule (this has a huge impact on when they run upstream, and as our collection method was drift netting, was of utmost importance) we would aim to be on the water anywhere from 4 or 5 pm to 8 or 9 pm to deploy nets. The nets were deployed at slack tide, and were left to drift for an hour or so before broodstock collection commenced.

A few local commercial fishermen were the ones running the nets. They would normally be fishing this way anyway to harvest striped bass, so they partnered with us and allow us to make use of their American Shad bycatch. Our boat recieved bucketfuls of ripe fish to be used to collect and fertilize eggs, once they had processed their catch. This was also an outreach opportunity. Jim Cummins, a local leader of shad conservation, was instrumental in arranging the whole project, and brought out teachers and small groups of middle/highschoolers to educate them on the plight of the river.

For someone who was not familiar with the process, I was very surprised that the female shad need not be alive to provide us with viable eggs. However, the males absolutely have to be alive in order to produce viable sperm, so any males that were ripe with milt were placed in tanks to be kept alive as long as possible (most of them already in somewhat bad shape from being in a gillnet). I will mention that these fish do not survive the process, but their contribution makes up for it, and they would not have survived being bycatch caught in gillnets anyway. Females that were "runners" (either leaking eggs, or producing eggs with a gentle squeeze) were placed in plastic baskets (dead or alive) until we had enough time to strip and fertilize a batch of eggs.

When we had enough to get a good batch of eggs, the females were stripped of eggs until we had a large mixing bowl full of eggs. The we then took a few males out of the livewell and dried them off with shop rags. Apparently, if water drips into the bowl, it prematurely activates the eggs/sperm and lowers the successful fertilization rate (which I think they said was in the 98-99% range). I quickly learned to hold the shad head-down and gently squeeze their cheeks, as the gill cavities hold a significant amount of water. The males were then squeezed to produce milt, which was mixed in thoroughly with the eggs. After that, water was added, the mixture of sperm, eggs, and water was swirled and debris floating at the top (stray scales, dead eggs, bits of blood/feces) were poured off and discarded.

The second livewell onboard had a few large rubbermaid tubs with the side panels cut out and replaced with screen. They also had buoys attached to keep them floating in the livewell. Once the eggs were fertilized and cleaned, they were poured into these tubs to water-harden. The eggs take an hour or two to fully swell up with water and harden enough to later be bagged and transported to the hatchery. Waiting for this process was the most time consuming part of the night, so while we waited, we took length/weight/sex data on the shad we had used (and I took the opportunity to bring home from roe from the females that weren't quite ready. It makes great fish food!).

When the eggs were ready (sometimes 9pm, sometimes midnight) we docked the boat, collected styrofoam coolers from the back of the truck, and bagged the eggs with enough water to cushion them from each other, gave the bags a shot of oxygen, and tied them off. The eggs were then transported south (I was dropped off in Fredericksburg on the way) to the Ashland office, outside of Richmond, Virginia, and one weary soul was then responsible for driving them another hour further to Williamsburg (a 3 hour trip!), where they spent a few days incubating (as well as being exposed to tetracycline, which makes their otoliths flouresce and later is used to identify wild fish vs. hatchery fish) and hatching, before being stocked as two or three-day-old fry. And it was done by the millions. Quite a week for the gametes and resulting offspring. Don't quote me on the numbers, but I believe I was told that from their calculations, roughly 1 of every 400 fry stocked seem to be returning to spawn (incredible, all predators considered). As a matter of fact, in 2011 Bernie Arnoldi and I caught the first American Shad either of us had seem from the Rappahannock. So hopefully in 4 or 5 years, the Rappahannock will have an additional 15,000 spawning adult shad to fuel the population recovery, and I am glad to have been a part of it.

And now, a few tastes of the action:
http://youtu.be/CPTVgXGEMLA
A good overview of the project.

http://youtu.be/yTq0cSuO8ew
Some video I took while the kids were being given a lesson

Posted Image
The fishermen, Jim Cummins, and the school kids getting ready to set the driftnet.

Posted Image
Katherine ready to bring a running female shad onboard...

Posted Image
Jim picking a shad out of the net...

Posted Image
One of the fishermen showing off the largest striper we saw. As a side note, while waiting for the nets to be deployed, we noticed a disturbance at the surface of the river nearby. Turns out (and no one had ever seen this before) we got luck enough to see striped bass spawning before sunset. We observed at lest two males alongside a large (probably the size of the one in the photo) female, along with splashing, and observed a cloud of milt after they had finished. Very cool.

Posted Image
The bucks were kept in the livewell until we stripped them of milt

Posted Image
A nice productive female...

Posted Image
That's me, doing naughty things to a fish...

Posted Image
"Is that applesauce?" Probably about 40,000 eggs there...

Posted Image
This bowl was hilariously narrated with "Mike, you should be a doctor, I can't read your writing at all"

Posted Image
The egg-bagging operation...

Sorry if that was a chore to read, but this was basically my entire month of April last spring, and I thought it was pretty cool stuff. If you've made it this far, thanks for sticking around!

#26 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:33 AM

Very interesting Derek. Thanks for taking the time to write this up. I certainly learned a few things. You could probably turn this into an AC article.

#27 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:07 AM

Yeah, it's almost an AC article as is.

#28 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

I don't know why, but when I saw the title, I read "2012 - Fish of the Year" I thought we were taking a vote for a new award......not a bad idea

#29 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

Shortly after finishing up with the American shad work, I caught wind of a day of snakehead sampling and asked if I could fill a position on the boat (knowing that my days in Northern Virginia were numbered). My first experience volunteering with the Virginia Department of Game and Inland fisheries was snakehead sampling, but of 6 boats doing a blitzkrieg on the Potomac that day, I was on the only boat that didn't get any.

On May 15th, 2012, I met the biologists at the field office in Fredericksburg and we drove up near Pohick Bay on the Potomac River. We launched the boat and headed to a tributary, Little Hunting Creek, that is a hotspot of snakehead activity. We arranged to start sampling near low tide, since once the water goes up, the snakehead quickly disperse into the vast fields of spatterdock that mark this flat marshy stream. Catching them at low tide has them concentrated in the channel, and makes it much easier to catch them once they are shocked. We had a rather low catch rate, probably boating half of the fish we actually saw. They are not strongly stunned by the electricity compared to other fish, and often would jump onto the mud bank upon feeling the electricty, wrigging into the spatterdock/mud, where they were inaccessible. Despite the difficulties, we boated roughly 30 fish that day, a few of which were tagged recaptures, while the remaining fish were fitted with lovely ornamentation in the form of powder blue floy tags (sorry to the female snakeheads for that!).

Despite being an invasive fish, these don't seem to be the plague initially reported by sensationalist media. They are mostly found in very shallow, weed-choked backwater areas, much more even than largemouth bass prefer. In addition, of the numerous stomach contacts examined, they tend to comsume banded killifish and eastern silvery minnows primarily, with bluegill being an occasional food item, and sportfish not showing up on the menu except very rarely. I'm no advocate for invasive species; quite the opposite. But that being said, these are REALLY COOL fish. Like a cross between an Esox and some sort of salamander, they have a very unique character and strange grace.

And now for the pictures!

Posted Image
Measuring one of the Snakeheads, seen with a brand new floy tag above the dorsal fin.

Posted Image
This was the biggest fish of the day. This one was a recapture that had been sitting in the same spot, a small backwater between residential docks, where a stormwater drain dumped in.

Posted Image

This goes to show how tough these fish are. No idea what happened to this fish, but it was beat to hell and looked like it was partially rotten. Still kicking though. We tagged it, just for the sheer curiosity of whether it will survive or not.

Posted Image

Very cool fish. And I can say I understand why they were imported. They are absolutely tasty, firm-fleshed fish.

In addition to Northern Snakehead (Channa argus), we saw:
Pumpkinseed sunfish
Bluegill Sunfish
Largemouth Bass
one or two large Longnose gar
Gizzard shad
Eastern silvery minnow
Banded killifish
Mummichogs
Tons of feral goldfish and carp
Yellow Perch
White Perch
and probably a few I have forgotten.

#30 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

Very interesting that I have been seeing the same subspecies in multiple drainages but the Potomac ones always look so much more impressive. Maybe it is an artifact of the habitat I typically see when I am in that area is more conducive to growing "trophy" fantails. Just because they are an incredible generalist doesn't mean that some habitats/conditions aren't much more suitable.

Any information on what characters separate the subspecies?

Rebecca Blanton Johansen and Jay Stauffer were both working on resolving this (sub)species. I'm out of date with the most recent findings.

#31 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

Very cool stuff, Derek. But I'm having a rough time telling which interests me more; the snakehead, or the baby doll lashed to the mast of what I assume was the sampling vessel...
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#32 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:49 PM

Matt, there was another one lashed to the rail directly behind me as well. It is apparently bad luck to not graciously accept the gifts that the rivers and lakes provide, so rather than going in the garbage, these end up as figureheads for the front of the sampling vessels. I also have one (a cabbage patch to be precise) mounted on the door of my office at the game & fish office.

#33 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:40 PM

A week later, knowing full well I was heading to the mountains in a few months, I met up with a biologist further down on the coastal plain of Virginia, Lake Chickahominy, to have my first Bowfin experience, since I find them really cool and would not have further opportunities. Actually, I will admit I was fishing once and saw a mysterious dark figure near the shoreline, with a distinct long undulating dorsal fin, which I later decided had to have been a bowfin. I couldn't catch it though, so I'd have to settle for using electricity.

The biologist I was working with this day works with gamefish (also happens to be an avid tropical fish keeper) but is one of the small group of people that recognizes the value of bowfin as interesting sportfish. He has been monitoring the bowfin population in this lake with tagging studies to determine growth and movement patterns (and anything else, really, they're an understudied fish) and I was fortunate enough to get a spot on the boat. This was different water than I was used to, so I got an opportunity to see some new stuff.

The habitat was beautiful, everything I would imagine a swampy lowland reservoir should be. Vegetation of many varieties was abundant, including some I grabbed for my aquarium. I was most excited to see wild frogbit at this site, which had reddish leaves and small "freckle" spots, as opposed to the solid lime-green strain I had at home. Walking along the edge of the lake, I saw more aquarium plant species than I've seen in well stocked pet stores. Here are some shots from the water:

Posted Image
Posted Image

And now some fish....

Posted Image

This was mid-May and the males still had slight tinges of green on the lower body/fins. I have seen pictures of their peak colors though, and it's pretty neat to see such large fish with drastic color changes in the spring.

Posted Image

I found it interesting how much variety there was in the size, shape, and color of the ocelli on these fish. This was a pretty normal one from the fish above. If you didn't see the rest of it, you could mistake it for the markings on an Oscar.

Posted Image
Measuring the fish before tagging and releasing (I apologize about the perspective of these photos, I was trying to stay out of the way while getting my shots)

Posted Image
This is a detail of the tail of the fish being measured above. This was by far the most frequently encountered anomalous ocellus pattern. I guess it may have been some communication form, allowing the bowfin to tell us exactly what they thought of being shocked (if you don't see it, this is the "middle finger" ocellus)...

Posted Image
They like it rough! This guy had numerous bite marks from breeding a few weeks earlier. They can be seen near the tail and in the middle of the body direcctly below the red tag. Also, you can see those strange tube-nostrils on this one.

Posted Image
Scott was kind enough to keep his hand-net closeby, and dipped these Bluespotted Sunfish (Enneacanthus gloriosus) whenever he saw them pop up so I could take some home. We saw maybe two dozen over the course of the day. Far fewer, though, than the large golden shiners and creek chubsuckers that often popped up between predator hideouts.

Posted Image
After the bowfin, this was the highlight of my day. Longnose Gar (Lepisosteus osseus). I had seen a few large ones pop up for very short times on the Potomac, but had never gotten an opportunity to hold or be up close to one, especially a beautiful juvenile like this. There is absolutely nothing else swimming that is like these. Very very cool fish.

#34 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

Derek, I read a really good book called Their Fathers' Work by William B. McCloskey. It's the author's adventures aboard fishing vessels around the world. I read it when it came out 13 years ago, so I don't know how current some of the data is, but it's still a really good, fair report on fisheries and fishermen. One of the early chapters details many of the superstitions of sea-going men. If you enjoy the thinking behind stringing up dolls on your vessel, you'll love that section. Although you'll be on your own to decide if painting eyes on the front of a ship is a wise or foolish move...The rest of the book is good reading, too.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#35 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:45 PM

Interesting reports, Derek. Thanks for sharing.

#36 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:07 PM

Now that I'm running only a year late, and chub time is upon us, I need to go ahead and share this. I'll spare you the long explanation, I think the pictures speak for themselves.

Date: 5-29-2012
Place: Rivanna River, Fluvanna County, Virginia (outside Charlottesville)

Posted Image
Cool crayfish with purple eyes. Not sure of the species, if anyone has any idea I'd love to hear!

Posted Image
Roanoke Darter (Percina roanoka). These guys are introduced to the James (and New) drainage and have exploded. The density of them in the Rivanna is incredible.

Posted Image
Johnny Darter (Etheostoma nigrum)

Posted Image
Rosefin Shiners (Lythrurus ardens) spawning on a Bull Chub mound.

Posted Image
Bull Chub (Nocomis raneyi) tending to his nest, while a female behind him looks on.

Posted Image
Adding to the pile...

Posted Image
Through the whole session, smallmouth bass (Micropterus dolomieu) were waiting and watching in the background. I really hate the fact that I missed it, but at one point when the rosefin shiners were darting onto the nest to spawn, I watched one of the bass run in and grab a shiner. What a way to go...

Posted Image

Posted Image
The colors on this chub were stunning. Bright reflective yellows dominated this impressive (at least 10 inch) fish, along with some pink hues that my camera unfortunately did not capture very well. The fins had the same bright shiny iridescence I see on Cyprinella, only lemon yellow.

It's about that time of year, so go out and find your own! I haven't seen any signs of nest building here in SW Virginia yet, but I'm looking!

#37 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:09 PM

Can't forget this...

#38 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:25 PM

Date: 6-9-12
Place: Rappahannock River, just upstream of Fredericksburg

Posted Image
I found a nice pod of these fired up Satinfin Shiners (Cyprinella analostana) and observed them dancing and sparring in the current for a good while.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Tessellated Darter (Etheostoma olmstedi) hanging out in a nice clump of Podostemum.

Posted Image
Shield Darters (Percina peltata) were amazingly common (you'd never know without sticking your head under water, I always had a difficult time seining them).

Posted Image
Here's a shot of a large adult Shield Darter happy in his habitat.

Posted Image
Whatchu lookin at?!?!? (Micropterus dolomieu)

Posted Image
I was looking at his goofy looking underbite...

#39 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:09 PM

Really nice photos Derek. You're getting some great shots with that Pentax WG-1. Do you have any tips on how to best set it up and use it for underwater photography? What kind of white balance setting are you using? Do you have a way to control shutter speed so that you can get sharp images of fast-moving subjects? I think you could help some of the other members here who are using similar models.

I am looking forward to seeing more of your underwater photos including the one you briefly showed me at the convention.

#40 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

Oh my, i am humbled! I just finished selecting my photos and writing a report to share. And we share the same camera so like Issac noted any tips are appreciated!
I am a bit put back as yopur pictures are mighty fine but i also have something special to share.
You definitly need to visit this summer.
:)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users