Albino blacknose dace?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jake_*

Guest_jake_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

Hi, I am new to this site, but joined mainly to get help with the identification of what appears to be an albino blacknose dace. I guess I should provide some details on how I obtained this fish first though. While on a trout fly fishing trip, I noticed a small school of minnows, but one really stood out. Obviously this was the albino looking fish. I captured him and brought him home, and now I am here. Anyway any help and info would be great help. thanks in advance

Attached File  100_5960.JPG   51.24KB   6 downloads

Attached File  100_5958.JPG   51.81KB   4 downloads

Edited by jake, 20 January 2013 - 08:51 AM.

#2 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

Better photos would help. Most fish, especially minnows, will get washed out or white looking when stressed.

I would observe it for a few days and see if it's color returns.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

#3 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

Could it be a rosy red? You are not going to get a good answer with those photos.

#4 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

I think it's a fish?

#5 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

I'm with fundulus. Ha!

#6 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

Looks like a Python to me.

#7 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

In my expert opinion it is most definately not a crayfish

Edited by davidjh2, 20 January 2013 - 10:37 PM.

#8 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

Let me put my glasses on... oh wait, they are on.

#9 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

How to make a photo tank:
http://forum.nanfa.o...231-photo-tank/

#10 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

From what I can see it does look somewhat like a blurry blacknose dace. The macro setting on your camera would give a much sharper image

#11 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

From what I can see it's no albino. It might be amelanistic and/or anerythristic, but it's definitely not axanthic, so it's not a true albino. Of course from those pics it could be a rancid hot dog as well.

#12 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

Jake - we're not always this snarky to new members - just havin' some fun with ya. We get an awful lot of ID requests accompanied by bad photos, so they've become sort of a standing joke. At least nobody is telling you its a green sunfish (another standing joke here). If you've still got him and can snap some better pics we'll try again.

#13 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

Gerald, you forgot about the usual addition of "Its gonna die" as well!

Edited by Kanus, 21 January 2013 - 02:51 PM.

#14 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

Man, what a harsh crowd...

#15 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

All lighthearted jokes aside, these are truly not ID quality photos. Jake, these guys will be happy to help you, but they need to be provided with something other than an orange fish shaped object. If you really want an ID on this fish, look around for a suitable container, take 20+ shots of the fish, and post two or three that seem decent. Good luck.

#16 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

I second Skipjack's suggestion. I take at least 10 shots of any fish I catch for id purposes. Unless you plan on getting heavily into the hobby and plan on doing a lot of sampling trips just buy a critter keeper for 5-6 dollars and keep it in your trunk. You can take pictures good enough for identification purposes using one.

Sorry if we came off a bit harsh we do like to joke around a lot here.

#17 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

I second Skipjack's suggestion. I take at least 10 shots of any fish I catch for id purposes.

That is how it's done. The best NANFA fish photographers take tons of photos of each fish, and choose that perfect photo. Can be much simpler to get an ID quality photo though. Live fish do not always pose well.

Jake you have not posted again, hope that the standing jokes did not drive you away. We were all new to this once, and I assure you that if you get a decent photo up, that your fish will be identified.

#18 Guest_jake_*

Guest_jake_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

HI again, I was not driven away from here, I have just been really busy. :biggrin: Anyway, thank you for the advice, and I tried to get better pics. I am still working on getting quality pictures, but this should be fine for now. Thanks again.

Attached Files

#19 Guest_jake_*

Guest_jake_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

Again, I know these pictures are not that great, but I am working on that. :biggrin: Thank you

#20 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

Not an albino. As for species? To take a stab, if I were you I would look at Bluntnose minnow, and maybe spottail shiner. Maybe someone else has some better suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users