Pics of my fish & tanks

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_davidd_*

Guest_davidd_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

Hey there,
although those are no american fish I just wanted to share a few pictures of my fishes and tanks.
But I posted one with american natives over here:

http://forum.nanfa.o...o-from-germany/

Attached Files

#2 Guest_Jan_*

Guest_Jan_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

Sehr Gut!

#3 Guest_GoFisch_*

Guest_GoFisch_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:55 AM

You have a very nice setup. I like that you're keeping a perch; a fish that the North American Aquarium Fishes book lists as 'unsuitable for the aquarium'. No less unsuitable than any sunfish I would think. What are those schooling minnows?

#4 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

That's not a Yellow Perch, the Perch over there may have a different temperment. Very nice tanks

#5 Guest_ThomasDodson_*

Guest_ThomasDodson_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:09 AM

Is it a Perca fluviatilis? That is quite a nice tank.

#6 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

What are those minnows?

#7 Guest_davidd_*

Guest_davidd_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:08 AM

Yes it is a Perca fluviatilis and I made the experience that when those perches are habituated well to the conditions in a tank, that they are not that much harder to keep than sunfishes. Some Individuals are indeed a little bit hesitant taking frozen food and I mentioned, that they also need more space than sunfishes or some tropical basses because they are very active swimmers.
The minnows are Phoxinus phoxinus which are in Germany called Elritze and in English common minnow or european minnow.
I caught the perches as well as the minnows in a small river nearby which is called Sieg. It is a feeding river of the rhine.

#8 Guest_GoFisch_*

Guest_GoFisch_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

That's not a Yellow Perch, the Perch over there may have a different temperment. Very nice tanks

Thanks. I didn't realize the european perch was a different species. I was referring more to the idea that perch can be kept in an aquarium, which has been done by a few on this forum I think, as opposed to the idea of them being unsuitable. I'm curious as to why Goldstein deemed them unsuitable for the aquarium in his book, American Aquarium Fishes. Aggression? Difficulty in feeding? I haven't had any experience with them, but have access to them.

#9 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

There are a lot of things in that book I like, but one thing I dont like is his definitions of what he thinks is not appropriate for keeping in an aquarium. I have kept yellow perch before and they are fine. Yes, they are less likely to come to the front glass and beg for food like sunfish. But you can overcome the fieeding challenge in a number of ways. And yes, they would prefer to have a few other of their kind around. But, in a larger tank they are very nice fish.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#10 Guest_GoFisch_*

Guest_GoFisch_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

That is good to know. They are one of the more common colorful fish in my area (you can have any color fish you want, as long as it's brown). I'd like to give them a try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users