What to stock?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ksauers_*

Guest_ksauers_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

I have 2 tanks a 55 and 75. Right now I have some minnows. Lake and Golden shiners and redtailchubs. i want to do some panfish in the 75. What do you suggest. 1 bullhead I'd like to put in the 75 also. In the 55 I'd also like to add darters and dace.

#2 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

For fish found in the region near you (Wisconsin), you could try reading this book:
http://digital.libra...NatRes.FishesWI
Fishes of Wisconsin by George Becker provided by the University of Wisconsin Digital Collection
Once you know which species you're interested in you could research what type of setup and tankmates they can have. The sunfish section is here:

http://digicoll.libr...ishesWI&isize=M
PDF: http://images.librar...heswi.i0038.pdf

Oooh, longear sunfish are native to your area. I wish I could have a tank of those.
Try typing 'longear' into http://gallery.nanfa.org
for example http://gallery.nanfa...unfish_001.html

Edited by EricaWieser, 28 January 2013 - 09:50 PM.

#3 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:10 AM

How does one go about legally acquiring sunfish in WI?

#4 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:27 AM

Looks like simply collecting fish of any type from water of state and putting them in an aquarium would be illegal. Acquiring cultured species from a documented source might be legal but I doubt that includes northern longear as an option? A collectors permit might also be acquired or having your self classified as an aquaculture operation which is route I would pursue.

I wonder if they will allow import of a species that is cultured that is also native to the state like northern longear?

Edited by centrarchid, 29 January 2013 - 07:33 AM.

#5 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

To take any Non-game fish from the rivers, a collectors permit is needed. This would include shiners, darters, dace, catfish, etc. It is illegal to possess any native fish away from the body of water it was found without that permit. It also, as noted, is only legal to get sunfish from a documented souce (IE the vendors section of this forum) works, you just need ot keep the paper work on the order. It is also ILLEGAL to keep/maintain any threatened or endangered species from the state, this includes longears! I have found thousands of long ears in local rivers and they are soo much fun to photograph and follow. I would also like to note that you can only keep sunfish that are native to WI. So if you wanted to keep spotted sunfish, central long ears, mud, bluespotted, elassoma sp. it is deemed illegal. I had received some banded sunnies several years back, the following spring the law changed and I was advised I should dispose of the fish or be at risk of being fined. There was also a person who was fine due to keeping elassomas. Eventhough they are non-viable in the state, they are non-native.

my personal favorites that come from WI and aren't/weren't threatened/endangered were Orangespotted (still have yet to find any, even though I find evreything else in that river) Pumpkinseeds, Greens and Warmouth. I love finding warmouth!

Edited by NVCichlids, 29 January 2013 - 09:45 AM.

#6 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

That is what I suspected. I have the collectors permit but knew that sunfish weren't included. That's ok though, it still allows for plenty of other cool species.

NVCichlids, I've caught orangespotteds in Lowell, WI, both hook & line and with a net. They're not abundant, but it's a pretty reliable spot.

#7 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

How do individuals stock private ponds in Wi.? I am sure that that is your loophole, purchase from a licensed aquaculture permit holder. Might be legal to even catch and move them from a private pond. I have not read the regulations.

#8 Guest_ksauers_*

Guest_ksauers_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

What was the question i asked?

#9 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

I guess my reply will be a question as well. Are you currently permitted as Ben Cantrell is to keep these fish? If not you may want to square that away, now that it is on a public forum, which is visited by many wildlife officials.

#10 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

Sorry I didn't think we were derailing your thread. You said you wanted panfish in the 75, which might not be a trivial thing to do legally.

For your 55, I would recommend one of the redbelly dace varieties. They're great schooling fish. Logperch are fun, and any other darters should work well (rainbow, banded, fantail, etc).

#11 Guest_ksauers_*

Guest_ksauers_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

Then why doesn't someone say what's legal and what isn't? Instead if sounds like you would rather slap me and assume.

#12 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

Then why doesn't someone say what's legal and what isn't?

That's what we're discussing. The regulations are usually written for anglers, bait collectors, or commercial fishermen. It's not always a straightforward task to figure out what's legal and what isn't for aquarium keepers.

Instead if sounds like you would rather slap me and assume.

No one has accused you of anything. I think you are misinterpreting our intentions. We're trying to be helpful, while at the same time making sure that nothing illegal is advised on a public forum.

#13 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

You can legally own Bluegill, Green Sunfish, Warmouth, Orangespotted Sunfish, and Pumpkinseed in terms of panfish. These must all be acquired from a site like http://www.jonahsaqu...te/fishlist.htm (Email him for a more current stocking list) or http://zimmermansfish.com/Price.html. Also, a bullhead would be a little too big for a 75. I would reccomend buying a Stonecat from one of these vendors.

For small fish, I would reccomend getting rid of the fish you currently have, don't release them, though. Maybe give them to a friend, or put in family koi pond or something, or, if need be, euthanize them. It would help if you told us how the tank is set up and what you have for equipment to help us help you.

#14 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

Umm. That would be me. As a NANFA rep. I have to uphold the laws, and intend to. I am not at all slapping you, and would encourage you to learn the laws, and protect yourself. Your question is very valid, but this forum represents the organization, and it's mission. We have to be very careful to make sure that we do not tread on state or federal laws. So that being said, all posts here need to comply with applicable laws.

#15 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

Oooh, longear sunfish are native to your area. I wish I could have a tank of those.
Try typing 'longear' into http://gallery.nanfa.org
for example http://gallery.nanfa...unfish_001.html

It is also ILLEGAL to keep/maintain any threatened or endangered species from the state, this includes longears!

Whoops, my bad, it didn't even occur to me to think that longears might be endangered. But I see it now, listed as threatened on this list by Wisconsin's Department of Natural Resources: http://dnr.wi.gov/to...ts/WiETList.pdf
That makes me sad :(

And of course, yes, avoid any fish on that list of threatened or endangered species.

Edited by EricaWieser, 29 January 2013 - 07:29 PM.

#16 Guest_ksauers_*

Guest_ksauers_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

That's what we're discussing. The regulations are usually written for anglers, bait collectors, or commercial fishermen. It's not always a straightforward task to figure out what's legal and what isn't for aquarium keepers.

No one has accused you of anything. I think you are misinterpreting our intentions. We're trying to be helpful, while at the same time making sure that nothing illegal is advised on a public forum.

NOT ONE WORD THAT WAS SAID WAS HEPLFUL.
YOU ALL SOUND LIKE YOU THINK YOU ARE THE WORLDS POLICEMAN.
I THOUGHT YOU GUYS WOULD ALL BE A FRIENDLY BUNCH BUT YOU SOUND MORE LIKE SNOBS.

Yeahson421 thank you very much. That's what I was looking for.

I WON'T BE COMING BACK TO THIS SITE AGAIN.

BY THE WAY I HAD PLANNED ON BUYING FROM BTDARTERS AND ZIMMERMANS.

#17 Guest_ksauers_*

Guest_ksauers_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

Umm. That would be me. As a NANFA rep. I have to uphold the laws, and intend to. I am not at all slapping you, and would encourage you to learn the laws, and protect yourself. Your question is very valid, but this forum represents the organization, and it's mission. We have to be very careful to make sure that we do not tread on state or federal laws. So that being said, all posts here need to comply with applicable laws.

SO IF YOU SAY I COULD PUT THIS OR THAT IN A 75 AND I DID IT ILLEGALLY YOU COULD BE HELD RESPONSIBLE? GIVE ME A BREAK

GOODBYE

#18 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

Well, this is my surprise for the day. Good luck with your aquariums.

#19 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

Agree Ben, that was unexpected... this is locked now... please contact me via messenger if anyone has questions about this thread
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users